Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #2  (Read 7687 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #2
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
Okay, first contest went well. Here's something that might be a bit more accessible to all designers, though. :)

Here are the standard rules for all official contests:
1) You may not enter into the contest a level that you've (or anyone else) released before. You are, however, welcome to release it as part of another pack after the contest is over. This includes remaking a level on a different engine.
2) One entry per person, unless the contest's rules specifically state otherwise.
3) Anyone caught attempting to cheat at or manipulate the voting in any way is disqualified.
4) Whether or not a level meets the criteria is decided by the LF administrators; the winner will be decided by vote unless otherwise stated in the contest's rules (which may only happen if the winning criteria is purely objective).
5) Any deadline dates / times are in UTC.
6) Joint entries are permitted, but there will still only be one prize; it will be up to the entrants to determine how they will split this.
7) Whichever staff member(s) is/are running the contest may enter just for fun, but cannot receive prizes - the prize will be passed on to the next position.
8) Entries should be submitted via private message to the staff member running the contest. Do not post them in the topic, unless the contest's guidelines say otherwise. If the contest allows for use of more than one engine, please be sure to specify which engine you've created your level for, and if you've used traditional Lemmix, please be sure to specify which mechanics set (Orig, OhNo or Cust) your level is intended to be played under.
9) Deadlines may be extended once, by one week, if less than four entries have been received. If there are still less than four entries after this, that contest is cancelled.
10) If you are using an unofficial graphic set, you must include a copy of it with your submission, unless it's one that is always included with that engine (such as the Lemmings Plus graphic sets in NeoCustLemmix).

Contest #2

Goal: Design a "Fun / Tame type" level. The specific criteria are:
  • Skillset: 20 of each.
  • Save requirement: Must be no higher than 75%. Note that, like how Lemmix / NeoLemmix do, any part-percents will be rounded down to the nearest whole %.
  • Time limit: The time limit must be 99 minutes (Lemmix / Lemmini) or infinite (NeoLemmix / SuperLemmini).
  • Other: It must be possible to save 100%, and it must not be a SuperLemming level.
  • EDIT: For the avoidance of doubt, there is no rule about what release rate your level may have.
Note that despite the description as "Fun/Tame type", it doesn't have to be easy. As long as it meets the above criteria, it's fine.

VGASPECs / equivalents: Allowed, but not required.
Custom graphic sets: Allowed, but not required.
Allowed Engines: Lemmix, NeoLemmix, Lemmini, SuperLemmini
Winning Criteria: Users (which may include those who did not enter the contest) will vote for their favorite level; they may base their vote on whatever criteria they like, be it the funness of the level, the appearance, the challenge potential, etc.

Engine specific rules:
Lemmini - The level must use the default fall distance.
NeoLemmix - The skillset must consist of all 8 of the traditional skills, and may not contain pickup skills (but other NeoLemmix objects are fine). The level may not use any gimmick, including the 80px Fall Distance.
SuperLemmini - The level must use the default fall distance and boundaries.

Timeframe: Entries close 16 Feb 2015. Voting will commence approximately one week after this, and last for one week. Voting will be done in multiple rounds with fewer levels each round (and fewer votes allowed per user each round), the exact specifics will depend on how many levels are entered.

You may make a level of any size.

Prizes:
Your choice of:
- A Steam game, Amazon gift card, or similar up to US$10 in value, or US$10 worth of a major cryptocurrency (BitCoin, LiteCoin and DogeCoin are fine, others may be considered upon request). The rules for sites are that the website must take Paypal (or take credit/debit cards directly and be well-known and have a good reputation), and must not be an R18-type site*.
- An advertisement in the board's news box (on the main page) for a project of yours, whether Lemmings-related or not and whether free or not. For the avoidance of doubt, this may be saved for later usage, but only one may be active at a time - first in first served out of those who've won them.
- Getting to pick the next contest's criteria.

* This doesn't mean "sites that state you must be 18 or over" in general; I'm sure you all know what kind of sites I'm actually talking about here.

Both 1st and 2nd place get a prize; they may not choose the same prize (1st place has first pick, obviously). Either winner may choose not to claim any prize, in which case 3rd place will get their prize instead (and so on).

Good luck, and may the best level win!

Entries received so far: 4
DynaLem
Giga
IchoTolot
Nepster
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:09:28 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #2
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »
Are NeoLemmix objects allowed (locked exit, slowfreeze, updraft, pickup skills, etc.)?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »
Are NeoLemmix objects allowed (locked exit, slowfreeze, updraft, pickup skills, etc.)?

Yes, those are fine. Just not the new skills. I was going to come up with some rules about the skillset (to avoid the creator subverting it by including useless skills, or for example not including any constructive skills and making a level along the lines of Psycho 28 / Genius 17 / Secret 1), but I felt it was simpler to just say "use the traditional 8". Likewise, the 100%ability requirement is there to avoid loopholes with the save requirement by, for example, placing a trapdoor over water that 25% of the lemmings will fall into.

EDIT: Pickup skills would be somewhat subverting the skillset requirement too, even though not quite in the same way. So let's say no pickup skills either. Others are still fine.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:50:43 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:59:25 PM »
I've tidied up the original post to make the explanation of the rules more clear. If there's any further quesitons about them, ask me ASAP. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:37:23 AM »
How about pre-placed lemmings / trapdoors that are pre-assigned permanent skills?

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 01:58:09 AM »
I think there's enough limitations. I won't disallow those, but remember that people are free to decide they don't want to vote for your level if they see that as trying to loophole the rules; that's up to them how they consider it for their vote.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »
Just submitted my level (which, of course, doesn't use the pre-assigned pre-placed lemmings/trapdoors).

The level will, however, not be part of my second pack. It will most likely be in the third one.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:48:20 AM »
Just as a heads-up, we're half way to the deadline now. Two entries received so far; hopefully we'll see some more!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 01:18:40 AM »
There's four days left to get your entries in. So far, I've received three valid entries.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:06:00 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 02:05:44 AM »
On this note, and I'm mentioning this because I received an entry that brought this up (I've contacted the person who's entry it is privately);

If you submit a level that does not meet the criteria for a contest, I'll let you know, and you're welcome to submit a different level (or a modified version of the existing submission) as long as it's still before the deadline.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:39:17 AM »
I'll try to bang out a level before the deadline for inclusion.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 12:28:06 AM »
Okay, we've got four entries now, and about three days left to get any more entries in. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
Less than 12 hours remaining to get submissions in. If you've forgotten to submit (or feel like you can quickly whip one up), better get on it quickly. :P
My Lemmings projects