Poll

Vote for ONE level.

"Precarious Construction (Part 2)" (Crane)
4 (57.1%)
"Shadowrun" (IchoTolot)
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: January 30, 2015, 06:15:05 AM

Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Voting)  (Read 5234 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Voting)
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:11:35 AM »
WARNING: Absolutely NO discussion of the contest levels is allowed ANYWHERE on the forums (except in private messages) from this point until voting has finished.

Alright, you've had time to play and discuss the levels, and now it's time to pick a winner!

Some things to keep in mind:
- All levels are definitely valid entries. The only criteria were "not using an official graphics set"*, "not using a VGASPEC", and "the level is for Lemmix, NeoLemmix, Lemmini or SuperLemmini", which all five levels have met.
- There's no specific criteria you're being asked to decide based on - it's simply a matter of which level you liked the most. You may use whatever criteria you like to determine this.

* One level uses a Lemmini remake of a Lemmings 2 graphic set; this is "unofficial" as far as I'm concerned since the set doesn't exist as an official DOS / Amiga original Lemmings graphic set. So, it's fine.

As a reminder, there are three prizes available - the first place winner gets first pick, and the second place winner gets second pick; either one may choose any prize, though the second place cannot choose the same prize the first place picked. The prizes are:
- US$10 gift "voucher" (or an item up to US$10 in value) from Steam, Amazon, or a similar service. The rules for services you may pick is that they must either be very well-known and reputable (and accept credit/debit cards) and/or accept PayPal, and no R18-type sites.
- Advertising space in the forum's news ticker for any project the winner is making (or involved in making) for one month. This will be the first item on the news ticker at all points, unless there's a major reason why something else needs to be placed ahead of it temporarily (in which case I'll add extra time to the duration the ad stays up for). This could be Lemmings-related or not.
- Getting to pick the next contest's rules. Obviously, within reasonable limits.

And as a reminder, here's how the voting works:
- Round 1 - All five levels are put in, voting lasts 3 days, each user gets three votes. Top two levels (possibly more in the case of ties) proceed to the next round.
- Round 2 - The top two levels from the first round are put in, voting lasts 3 days, each user gets one vote. Top level wins; in the case of a tie, the first round's results can act as a tiebreaker, if this still gives a tie, what to do about this will be addressed when it happens (I may just declare the contest a tie overall if the two tied-for-first users don't want the same prize anyway).

Winners will be contacted via private message.

Note that strictly no discussion about these levels is allowed anywhere on the boards (except private messages) while voting is happening. I'm not going to attempt to control or moderate any off-site discussion though. You are allowed to discuss the contest in general, though - just not the specific levels. No need to be overy paranoid - obviously we're not going to ban long-time users just for mentioning a level once - more likely at most we'll just edit out your comment about the level. And, the private message exception doesn't mean go spamming people "hay v0te for my level" (not that I'd expect any of you would do that, of course); it's more just so, for example, you can discuss with creators whether or not your solutions are backroutes.

In case anyone doesn't have them, you can get the levels here:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:22:35 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Voting)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »
So I kind of tried to play the contest levels but so far managed to play and solve only IchoTolot's level because it's for Lemmini.

CustLemmixNeo older versions (v1.09 for example): "List index out of bounds"
CustLemmixNeo v1.28n: LookForLVLFiles doesn't work and I get some random official tileset levels from every ranking (Step1-5) that I have never seen.
NeoLemmixEditor: "ERROR: Test player EXE does not exist."

I'd like to vote for my favourites but can't even play NeoLemmix ones. :I

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
LookForLVLFiles worked fine for me. The levels you're seeing would be the NeoLemmix skills training pack; NeoCustLemmix defaults to this when there's no valid level pack (or LVL file) for a specific level. (Levels 1 to 8 are unique, but levels 9 and 10 were remade for LP Omega, so you'll have seen them before.)

Make sure you name them 0101.lvl, 0102.lvl, 0201.lvl and 0202.lvl (for example), and turn LookForLVLFiles on (Option 9) in the config menu (press F3 on the title screen). I just tested with V1.28n (since before I was using V1.27n-B) and it works fine.

For the NeoLemmix Editor, what you'll need to do is put a copy of CustLemmixNeo.exe in the same folder as the editor. If it doesn't work, check NeoLemmixStyles.ini and make sure TestEXE is set to "CustLemmixNeo.exe" (without quotes) for the NeoCustLemmix style.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:06:40 PM »
Thank you, I managed to get both CustLemmixNeo and the Editor work now. I had changed LookForLVLFiles from the ini-file, but I missed it from the configuration menu.

Here are my solutions for the levels!

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
Lost in Colourland here also due to attachment restriction limits.

EDIT: möbius and Nepster already informed me that the NeoLemmix replays won't work and I have no idea what's with them.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:47:56 PM by Akseli »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 03:55:18 AM »
Nothing wrong with your replays, Akseli. This is happening because - as mentioned in the update log, replays saved with NeoLemmix V1.28n or higher can't be opened with earlier versions. (The reverse is fine though - NeoLemmix V1.28n can open replays saved with earlier versions.) I didn't test all of them, but I was able to open one of the ones you've mentioned as not working.

As of (IIRC) V1.27n, NeoLemmix players no longer uses the INI file at all, so you should probably delete it to avoid confusion. The editor still uses NeoLemmixEditor.ini and NeoLemmixStyles.ini, of course.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 06:15:28 AM »
Alright, the second round of voting is now up! :)

Good luck to the two that made it through.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 12:15:36 AM »
Voting closes in about 18 hours, so if you haven't already voted, get those votes in quickly!
My Lemmings projects