Author Topic: V1.28n Player Features  (Read 4418 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
V1.28n Player Features
« on: January 06, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
Here's the change list so far. This is important to pay attention to if you're making Zombie levels, as all changes (apart from one minor bugfix) relate exclusively to Zombie levels.

Note that many of these changes were also included in V1.27n-C, which was originally planned to be a full release, but in the end was only used for the first release of Doomsday Lemmings. Also, due to the improvements with the replay database, there will be an official update of every NeoLemmix-based pack I've made to use V1.28n.

* Some extra information is stored in replays, to facilitate use with the
  Replay Database.
* Zombies can no longer press exit buttons, trigger a secret level trigger, or pick
  up pickup skills.
* Zombies no longer count as "saved" when killed in a Karoshi level.
* Zombies are no longer included in the "lemmings out" counter.
* A level will now exit just as it would if all lemmings were dead / saved, if all
  remaining lemmings are zombies.
* Zombies are no longer affected by the nuke.
* A sound is played when a locked exit is opened.
* Fixed the bug where replays couldn't be saved on postview text screens in the same
  way they can on the regular postview screen or the "You found a secret level" screen.
* Fixed the bug where pre-placed zombie lemmings would be rendered as normal lemmings
  on the preview screen (and in images saved from the preview screen).
* Fixed the bug where zombies would graphically revert to regular lemmings when using
  a teleporter or dying in a triggered trap.
* Added an option to mostly use the old Zombie behaviour (from V1.27n-B and earlier). When
  set, zombies will still count towards the goal in Karoshi levels, and they can activate
  unlock buttons and pickup skills (but still not secret level triggers or exits). Also,
  the level won't exit when only zombies remain if it's a Karoshi level. To activate this,
  use the (Gim27) option.
* Added options for Rising Water, Clock Gimmick, Zombies and Old Zombies to the configuration
  menu. These aren't very useful on their own though, as the level needs to be specifically
  set up to use them.

Just to clarify on the second point (about Karoshi levels), a lemming becoming a zombie doesn't count as killing it either (just like falling out of the level doesn't).

And yes, zombies can still trigger any other object type, apart from exits, locked exits, unlock buttons, pickup skills or secret level triggers. So they can be used as trap bait (or perhaps teleporter bait) or made use of by directing them through radiation or slowfreeze.

If people were planning to make levels relying on functionality that's being removed, you can set the (Gim27) flag in the editor; this will revert most of the new changes to zombies, apart from the graphical fixes, the inability to trigger secret levels, and the level terminating when only zombies remain*.

* This behaviour will revert in Karoshi levels, but not in non-Karoshi ones.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:02:06 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: V1.27n-C Player Features
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:04 AM »
* Zombies no longer count as "saved" when killed in a Karoshi level.

[...]

If people were planning to make levels relying on functionality that's being removed (or if I just feel like adding this even if I don't know of anyone planning to use it), I can maybe add an option that reverts the zombies to pre-V1.27n-C behaviour (ie: they function exactly like normal lemmings in every way, except for being contagious, being unable to use exits / locked exits, and can't be assigned skills).

Hm, I was thinking of a Karoshi level where the zombies are to be killed in addition to regular lemmings. This type of level would have been an interesting challenge. Yeah, I think the pre-V1.27-C behavior should still be an option.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: V1.27n-C Player Features
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:54:01 AM »
Okay, I'll be sure to add that. In the meantime, if you want to ensure consistent behaviour on newer versions, in the Gimmicks menu select both the "Zombies" box AND the box right after it. In V1.27n-B (and earlier) the box after the Zombies one does nothing (so setting it won't have any unintended side effects); from V1.27n-C onwards I'll make it revert the zombies to their old behaviour.

EDIT: I'm going to leave it so that even with this attribute checked, they cannot trigger secret levels. However, they will be able to use unlock buttons and pickup skills, and count towards the "save" requirement in a Karoshi level. I'll also make it so that in Karoshi levels, they're still included in the "Out" count and the level doesn't exit when they're all killed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:59:13 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: V1.28n Player Features
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »
Alright, scratch V1.27n-C. That was used for the Doomsday Lemmings release, but it looks like V1.28n is going to be the next main release.

Also, since it'll have features to help with use of the Replay Database, there is going to be an official update to every NeoLemmix-based level pack I've made to use V1.28n. I don't foresee much trouble with using existing replays on the new updates, except maybe with Holiday Lemmings Plus (due to it using the new skills quite early in their lifetime; LPIII, LPIIIBonus and LPF didn't use them, and by the time of LPO's release they were pretty much finalised in behaviour).
My Lemmings projects