Author Topic: Custom Music  (Read 2946 times)

Mariachi Skeletron Prime

Custom Music
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »
Oh, look at me, having two topics in a row. I'm so evil.  :spam:

Anyway, is there some way to convert .wmv or .wav music to .mod files so I can use them in lemmini?
Thanks in advance.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Custom Music
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
Those formats to MOD is not going to happen. Is there any reason you have to use standard Lemmini though? Just asking because Lemmix (both traditional and NeoLemmix) and SuperLemmini all support OGG, which would be much more practical to convert those formats to.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Mariachi Skeletron Prime

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
Okay, thanks for your response.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »
I don't think there is (an easy if any) way to convert *most popular music format* to MOD or MIDI because they work completely differently then the former.*

There is this site you can look for tons of great music: http://modarchive.org most of which is Lemmini compatible. Also, Lemmini supports MIDI as well.

*wav, mp3 etc, contain information that is recorded sound waves sort of like how a CD player works. MOD on the other hand contains only information sort of like sheet music and tells your computer to use pre-existing programs or instruments to play the music. This is why a MOD or MIDI song can sound different depending on your computer.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »
Generally, MOD music sounds almost identical regardless of which computer it is played on because it has sound clips stored within it, whereas MIDI depends purely on the instrument banks on the sound card (or occassionally a software synthesizer).  There is a way to convert a WAV file to MOD theoretically, but it involves storing a single sound clip in the MOD and a single instruction to play it without a pitch shift.  I'm not sure how effective that is in practice though (e.g. limitations on the size of a single sample etc.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:16:05 PM »
I believe there are some conversion tools out there that work via an extension of what you said above.  Instead of storing the WAV as a single giant instrument sample, the tool would chop the WAV up into multiple such samples, and the tracks would then basically play each sample in sequence.  It gets around the limitation on the size of a single sample, but there are of course still other limitations on total number of instruments/samples (which would effectively limit how long time-wise the WAV can be), and fundamental limitations such as the sample size and rates supported by MOD format.

Basically it's all a "cheat" of sorts to jam a WAV file within the confines of the MOD format which isn't designed to do this at all.  As others noted, it is basically the difference between a recording of the audio (the WAV) vs the sheet music notating how to play the music (the MOD).  Since Tsyu is still around and he's the guy that worked on Lemmini, maybe you're better off just asking and see if he could provide support for MP3 or OGG.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »
I know there was once an issue with royalties for the MP3 format and it's hard to provide open-source support for it.  I'm not sure if it is still the case today, but it was one of the main motivations behind the development of Ogg Vorbis, which is completely royalty-free and is better quality generally.

P.S. Tsyu, would it be possible to fix the two Basher glitches, where he sometimes leaves a sliver of wall when bashing to the right, and crashing the game if his head is above the top of the screen?