Author Topic: LemmixAmiga. WIP.  (Read 14654 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: LemmixAmiga. WIP.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
The release rate changes by 1 every frame. And it's actually possible to select skills while the game is paused by using either Z and X or the arrow keys.

Zaphod77

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 03:07:06 AM »
Well that simplifies things. if the release rate changes once per lemming frame when unpaused, I can make it advance one frame when you press the release rate key, and thne i don't have to disable the function keys at all.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 03:19:11 AM »
It's worth noting that Lemmix uses different code to handle release rate changes when the game is paused than when it's unpaused. This might be problematic. However, at the same time, you can probably just redirect the when-paused code to use the when-not-paused code instead, and also make it frame advance at that point if paused.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Zaphod77

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 03:45:07 AM »
yeah.. i'm trying to trace the code, and find the frame advance when screen is clicked code.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 04:06:36 AM »
Looking for "VK_F1" / "VK_F2" and "ForceUpdateOneFrame" should point you in the right direction.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Zaphod77

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 07:05:03 AM »
Okay, i still need to know the audio info (besides the panning feature, still not sure how to do that)

i think because te audio channels are there, that audio effects on amiga version should be the 'no music' ones.

but if peopel really think it's better, i will implement both.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 07:18:19 AM »
That's a bit trickier. I plan to improve the audio support a bit for both Traditional and Neo; the files in question are GameModPlay.pas and GameSound.pas (plus some very slight modifications to LemDosStyle.pas and LemRes.pas) so make a note of any changes you've made to those. Once I've done this, I'll help you implement it into your Amiga verison - the modifications to the last two files are very small, while the former can be copied&pasted into any version of Lemmix as far as I can tell (they're even 100% compatible between Traditional and Neo).
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »
well i started with v20, so I should probably update and redo my modifications that are still needed.

i'm waiting on the multi pitch playback trick and channel splitting of identical sounds.

as i said the dos version used three sound channels for sound effects, and if none were free the sound effect was skipped. However, even if the instrument played for a while after (the boing lasts a second at least), after a half a second or so the channel wold be considered free even if the sound WAS still playing.

I'm pretty sure amiga behaved different with ONE channel dedicated to sound effects and three to the music, with all effects overwriting each other.  The single ohno when clicking nuke was because of this.

oh, by the way. compare fun 3's preview on lemmix vs dos. it seems lemmings uses a smart scaling algo that when choosing pixels prefers non background ones when scaling down.

Also it seems there is a genuine flaw in the amiga version. it's not that changing stuff with the keyboard is locked out, because it's not. it's that there is no key to increase or decrease rate.  if the key existed, it would work paused.

Seems i will need to actualyl get amiga lemmings for myself to test.

Zaphod77

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »
Okay did  some more testing.

Lemmings on amiga does seem to run faster then Lemmix does. at least for a NTSC amiga.

The change bongs play at the first 8 tones of the twelve note scale.

the "panning" is simple. if a lemming is on the right side of the screen, it plays out the right speaker. if the lemming is on the left, it plays out the left speaker.  this can be hacked in with stereo wave files if desired. (separate left and right channeled versions of the sound effects)

the mods are in stereo as well. with one channel center, one left, and one right i think. the one allocated to the bass is usually center i think.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
Once I convert it to playing all sounds through BASS, therell be no need for such a hacky workaround. It'll be possible to pan the sound properly.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
and pitch up the sound?  or will we still need a hacky workaround of 8 different bongs? :)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 03:20:51 AM »
I have attached the masks from the Amiga version that were different in the DOS version.

the mods are in stereo as well. with one channel center, one left, and one right i think. the one allocated to the bass is usually center i think.
Actually, it's one left channel and two right channels. The channel that's reserved for sound effects when music is enabled is also a left channel. (And that's the extent of the Amiga's sound capabilities as far as channel count is concerned: two left channels, two right channels, and nothing else. To play a sound in the center, it would have to be played on two channels simultaneously.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 04:58:56 AM »
and pitch up the sound?  or will we still need a hacky workaround of 8 different bongs? :)

I'll see about that. It should be possible to do this too, but I'm not 100% sure if BASS has support for that.
My Lemmings projects

Zaphod77

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »
truth is only the amiga version pans, as the dos sound platform doesn't do stereo.

So it's not a feature you need at all.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »
I might add it to NeoLemmix. And Ill definitely be doing the multiple channels.
My Lemmings projects