Author Topic: Thank you for everything you did  (Read 2156 times)

blueskirt

Thank you for everything you did
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Although I first played Lemmings on the Amiga back in ye olde days when I was a kid, my love for Lemmings only began about fourteen years ago when I finally managed to complete every level of the original game. A year later, Oh No More Lemmings and Xmas/Holiday Lemmings followed suit, as a gamer I was proud of my achievement. I was about to start playing Lemmings II when I discovered about the Covox and the Prima level packs... and then the Amiga, Mac, SNES and Sega Master System exclusive levels, and the Genesis version.

If it had only been the Covox and Prima level packs, I'd have been fine with that, but that Psygnosis allowed so many levels, enough to make a full game out of them, slip through the cracks... I couldn't help but feel that I never truly finished the original games, not with so many official levels still floating around, and in the end I did not bother to play the Covox and Prima level packs nor Lemmings II. I was done with the series and I moved on.

I don't remember the exact set of circumstances that brought me on this forum, but I'm glad I did, because thanks to each and every single one of you, who made engines, who dug up, spreadsheeted, archived and eventually ported these levels, but also the soundtracks and features from the various ports to make them playable on home computers, thanks to all of your effort and dedication, I have regained that lost love for the franchise, I am four levels away from completing the Covox and Prima packs, and I don't think I will stop this time around.

So, to everyone involved in the archival of those ultra rare trial versions, everyone involved in the port of the Amiga, Mac, SNES, Master System, Genesis and PSP levels, everyone involved in the levels and ports comparison and the levels spreadsheet, everyone involved in the creation of Lemmix and any other engines for that matter, everyone involved in the creation of fan levels, and each and every single one of you whose sole contribution has been to encourage others to create more stuff and keep the Lemmings torch lit all those years, from the deepest of my heart, thank you, what you have accomplished has made me a very happy man.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Thank you for everything you did
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »
Hey there, blueskirt, and thanks for the interesting read!

If we fans don't keep the torch burning in our own small ways, then who will?

It doesn't seem that the current rights-holder, Sony, is especially interested, after all, so it surely falls to those who care about Lemmings.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »
Glad we could help! :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:31:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum blueskirt

Thank you for your kind words that means a lot.  :thumbsup:

I remember when I first joined the forum I noticed many users creating their own levels which sort of inspired myself to have a go at creating my own although probably not the best of levels but at least I'm learning and that's what it's all about.

Yeah that moment once you complete lemmings for the first time is unforgettable I remember my moment very well since beating the second last level of Mayhem. (Save me)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:16:36 AM »
^ For me, I didn't complete Save Me until about 8 years after I completed everything else in the original game and even most of ONML. :/
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)