Author Topic: Prob Lem's Lix Levels - Latest: Computer Goes Boom (2014-07-02)  (Read 15676 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
So, the slight taste of bitter lemming that Lemmings Touch left me with after getting off to a great start but then nosediving into some aggravating flaws inspired me to finally start making levels for Lix. This is my first. Presenting...

Hrududu

Points if you get the reference. ;)

This was actually a level that I originally designed around Christmas-time, with the PSP version of Lemmings in mind, but it's not really easily possible to share PSP levels now, so I decided to port it over to Lix.

It's not difficult, and to be honest, none of my levels are likely to be - I particularly like execution-based Lemmings levels that have a story to tell or an atmosphere to share, and which aren't necessarily all that challenging in and of themselves, and (even with what little I've done on the PSP version and here) I've noticed that my own designs tend in this direction.

I'd like to say thanks very much for the help that various folks here have given me in getting started. I'm just sorry that it took me so long to post up some levels!

Hopefully I've attached it correctly... I just need to include the text file and the level image, right? Or is it just the text file?

Anyway, I hope you guys like this one. ;)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
Re: My first ever Lix level: "Hrududu"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:55:33 AM »
I am honoured that somebody finally found a use for my awkward slopey steel blocks -- wing mirrors! Very clever. (I should probably finish off that set come to think...)

The use of geoo's pillar bases as ground is neat too. I'm going to keep an eye out for more places where that can be applied.

Quote from: Prob Lem
I particularly like execution-based Lemmings levels that have a story to tell or an atmosphere to share, and which aren't necessarily all that challenging in and of themselves

This is what drew me most to the original game, especially when considering levels to include the music. The lack of replay and fast-forward features made the more difficult puzzles quite frustrating, I found.

All-in-all, your level is very pretty, and the cars intimidating to rabbits and rodents alike. I felt that there were a lot of long building segments which made my cursor gravitate toward the fast forward button, but I took the time to appreciate the visuals.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:26:57 AM »
I am honoured that somebody finally found a use for my awkward slopey steel blocks -- wing mirrors! Very clever. (I should probably finish off that set come to think...)
Haha, thanks. :thumbsup: I was looking for something with which to make the wing mirrors, and the second I laid eyes on those blocks, I proclaimed "Perfect!".

The use of geoo's pillar bases as ground is neat too. I'm going to keep an eye out for more places where that can be applied.
You can't cross a road without a pavement to start on!

Quote from: Prob Lem
I particularly like execution-based Lemmings levels that have a story to tell or an atmosphere to share, and which aren't necessarily all that challenging in and of themselves

This is what drew me most to the original game, especially when considering levels to include the music. The lack of replay and fast-forward features made the more difficult puzzles quite frustrating, I found.
It's part of what I love about the original, too. Agreed on the lack of replay and fast-forward, though, but in the time before those existed, the thought honestly never crossed my mind.

All-in-all, your level is very pretty, and the cars intimidating to rabbits and rodents alike. I felt that there were a lot of long building segments which made my cursor gravitate toward the fast forward button, but I took the time to appreciate the visuals.
Thanks very much. And, also, have some points! Actually, I probably should also have mentioned that I always quite liked the Builder skill, too, huh? :D

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Another level: "Lab Lix"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
Here's another level from me, much more quickly than I expected to finish it up. This one's...

Lab Lixes

This is a vastly expanded version of my PSP Lemmings level, Lab Lems (and of the four I made there, the only other one worth bringing over to Lix), with an entirely different, and much more Rube Goldberg-esque, solution than the original had. I've tested and tweaked this so much, that right now I keep expecting to see things suddenly moving in Turbo Fast Forward at random intervals.

It was mostly inspired by the level, The Mad Doctor, from Mickey Mania - The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse, for the Mega Drive (and, I must say, I imagine it with this tune or this one from the level). I'm really happy with how the styles available in Lix allowed me to maintain the spirit of the original version of this level, and also improve upon it - it's all about the atmosphere!

By my own admission, this one is thoroughly evil, and purposefully annoying (after all, whoever put those Lix there isn't going to want them getting out - they aren't going to make it easy!). At the least, it may cause major irritation. Have fun, folks!

EDIT: Renamed the level from Lab Lix to Lab Lixes, to bring it into line with the consensus on the plural of Lix.

EDIT: And changed it back again, hahahah...

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:10:42 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Another level: "Lab Lix"
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
that looks really nice! You put things together I wouldn't have thought go well together.  :)

Some thing I've never even seen before like the ank symbol  ??? where did that come from?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »
that looks really nice! You put things together I wouldn't have thought go well together.  :)
Thanks. :D

Some thing I've never even seen before like the ank symbol  ??? where did that come from?
It's meant to be a key that's been left laying around, here, but it's really "sign_3.png" from Simon's Desert style. ;)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »
Interesting use of tile combining.
Looks good.

Now you can admit to everyone how user friendly the lix editor is right?  :thumbsup:

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Now you can admit to everyone how user friendly the lix editor is right?  :thumbsup:
Admit? I've never used it before now. ;P I've certainly been telling folks about it, though!

It's fantastic, honestly. It's a lot easier to get to grips with than the PSP Lemmings editor (which, credit to it, is quite good itself), and is thoughtfully laid out, with everything clearly labelled.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »

;) I think the idea is that when something's sufficiently user-friendly, it's so natural that you don't even really notice.  For example user-friendly never even really crossed my mind until you brought it up.  I can definitely also say more objectively that I don't recall ever having trouble figuring out what the buttons do in the editor, compared with say finding which tab a hotkey setting may be located in Options, so I guess that's further evidence that the editor is fine in the user-friendliness department.

Of course, if there're still any worries, creating a quick editor tutorial page on Simon's Lix website should help take care of things.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:43 PM »
Good idea.   I might actually make a short video for the editor itself later actually.   
Just a few minutes tutorial would be enough information to get anyone ready to build I would think.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:53:58 PM »
With any luck it might attract more people to make and share levels, too. :D

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 03:36:46 AM »
It actually took me a second to realize that those structures in "Hrududu" are cars.  :XD: But I think it looks cool, and I was wondering if you'd mind if I include this level in the Lix Community Level Set, it's just at the right difficulty where I wanted to have another level.
Lab Lix looks even better, you did a really good job at fitting all these different styles together, really catches the atmosphere.

Oh, and I hope you don't mind me having merged your two topics (you can change the title to something new if you want).

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
It actually took me a second to realize that those structures in "Hrududu" are cars.  :XD:
Unfortunately, I couldn't've made them out of any other materials, otherwise it would have compromised the intended solution. :D

Again, points for anyone who got the reference (which probably makes the cars a bit more obvious, possibly...).

But I think it looks cool, and I was wondering if you'd mind if I include this level in the Lix Community Level Set, it's just at the right difficulty where I wanted to have another level.
Oh, awesome - it'd be an honour. Please do include it! :thumbsup:

Lab Lix looks even better, you did a really good job at fitting all these different styles together, really catches the atmosphere.
Thanks! I must admit, Lab Lix is my favourite. :D If you find a spot for it, you're welcome to include that one, too, if you'd like to.

EDIT: Actually, there's a question... Is the plural of Lix, "Lix", or "Lixes"? I may need to edit the level's name. ;P

Oh, and I hope you don't mind me having merged your two topics (you can change the title to something new if you want).
Thanks much! And sorry for the topic clutter - I hadn't originally expected to finish the two within hours of each other, haha... I'll give it a rename, now. :thumbsup:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 01:52:42 AM »
Thanks! I must admit, Lab Lix is my favourite. :D If you find a spot for it, you're welcome to include that one, too, if you'd like to.

EDIT: Actually, there's a question... Is the plural of Lix, "Lix", or "Lixes"? I may need to edit the level's name. ;P
Thanks, I've been thinking about it, but I think I'll stick to Hrududu only which fits the level progression so well. I'd like to include Lab Lixes, but it's similar in gameplay style and somewhat close in difficulty level too, and for each level I add I have to kick out another level at this point, so that'd make things a bit tricky.

I think Simon once said either is fine for the plural, so that's the official stance on it. Though in the levels that have been made so far, I think "lixes" is more common.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 02:04:20 AM »
Thanks, I've been thinking about it, but I think I'll stick to Hrududu only which fits the level progression so well. I'd like to include Lab Lixes, but it's similar in gameplay style and somewhat close in difficulty level too, and for each level I add I have to kick out another level at this point, so that'd make things a bit tricky.
Okey doke - works for me. :thumbsup: If there's any future pack you'd like to throw the other into, feel free, though.

I think Simon once said either is fine for the plural, so that's the official stance on it. Though in the levels that have been made so far, I think "lixes" is more common.
Thanks! If Lixes is more common, then I'll bring mine into line with that. Edit forthcoming. ;)

EDIT: And done. If anyone who downloaded it wants it, the renamed version, Lab Lixes, has been attached to the original Lab Lix post. :P

EDIT: And reversed, as per next post. Given that, I do prefer the sound of Lab Lix. ;)