Author Topic: Saying hi  (Read 3658 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Saying hi
« on: June 22, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
I got distracted doing something and ended up here. It's probably been a couple of years since I was last on here. How's everything going? I don't know if I can really stick around – my free time is taken up with other stuff at the moment and I've forgotten how to run Lemmings on my computer (or in fact, I don't think I've ever run it on this machine).

Any news? 8)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Saying hi
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »
Hey, welcome back!

Well, generally these days, the method of choice for running the game is Lemmix or Lemmini. Both have been / are being recently updated and improved by new people working from the original code - Tsyu for Lemmini (his version is SuperLemmini) and myself for Lemmix (my version is NeoLemmix). The old version of Lemmix is still also of course available; I even "cloned" CustLemm in it so you can have the convenience of that combined with Windows compatibility and Lemmix features. Editor wise, there's two new ones that I know of - my own NeoLemEdit, which is a Windows-based LemEdit clone that supports NeoLemmix features, and jLevelBuilder, which is more tailored towards Lemmini, as well as the creator's own Lemmings-like game.

There've been a few large new level packs too (as well as the usual small ones here and there) - my own Lemmings Plus II, a sequel to Lemmings Plus DOS Project and as far as I'm aware the first pack using traditional formats/mechanics to have custom graphic sets (with Lemmings Plus III being currently in development, this one being built from the ground up for NeoLemmix); mobius's MobiLems, exit's cLemmings, as well as several compilation packs. There's also Lix, which is a multiplayer-capable fanmade game that's quite popular; unfortunately I can't say much about it myself as it doesn't work on my PC.

I don't know if you heard, but there was also a new official game, called Lemmings Touch. Unfortunately, it's only available on a console that no one actually has <--- slight exaggeration. Playstation Vita. :(
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:31:38 AM »
finlay was the other Lemmings PSP guy. The only Lemmings news I have is the new game for the PS Vita, which was already been said. It has 100 levels. 60 are new while the other 40 are old returning levels.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:04:03 AM »
Hi finlay! :D

Other than what namida and Luis have said, all there is to add is that the Lemmings series is still being treated fairly poorly by official sources. :( Sony have now all but ended support for the PS Vita, making Lemmings Touch likely to be one of the last first-party releases for the system. And let's be honest, it's not the sort of series they're happy to have hold of, or to put on their home-consoles (because, cold hard fact, it just plain doesn't suit the audiences they typically go for), so I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the last official game we see while Lemmings is still in Sony's hands.

To end on a lighter note, I started maintaining an index of fan-made merchandise, earlier. Hey, if they're not gonna support the series, then we'd all better, right? ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:26:16 AM »
Lix is coming on very well. A new member, NaOH, added some incredible graphics, and we're close to completion on the community set -- we actually have more levels than needed, and the remaining work is just a matter of trimming them down and arranging them. Your level "It's a long way up" got remade, and don't worry, we're not considering removing it.

DROD 5: The Second Sky, a puzzle game I've contributed some levels and voice acting to, came out yesterday. It contains a Lemmings tribute level  8)

Are you still in Japan? I'm hoping to get a job there, but at the moment I have no idea whether that will work out.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:28:20 AM »
Yeah, I am. That's partly why I don't have the free time – got a job and all that... :( (Also been exercising a lot in the evenings instead of playing computer games)

Anyway yeah, I hadn't heard about a new game. I had the PS2 version back in the UK, and never got around to properly trying the eyetoy version beyond the first level (I think it didn't work very well). And while I'm sure I could find a PS Vita fairly easily, whether I'd want to buy it solely to play Lemmings is another question...

Also I still use macs instead of windows, so I think some things never worked properly for me.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 03:32:27 AM »
By the way, how do I get this thing to notify me? When I logged on I had two PMs from over a year ago, and even though I've selected notify me of this topic, and notify me of PMs, it hasn't sent me any emails. Yes I've checked my spam box.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »
It may be broken. It's hard to tell - though the admin's occasionally shown up in the Who's Online (I actually saw him online earlier today, in fact), it's been a very long time since we've actually had any posts from him. Pretty much the only reason we know the site's still being maintained at all is because it's recovered from several downtimes, in some cases with temporary notices saying "Lemmings Forums will be back soon" put in place until it's back up - but it is being at least kept online and functional, so hey, could be far worse. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:56 AM »
Email notifications are broken and have been since the last server move.

Welcome back finlay! You've picked a great time to come back, there's heaps going on! Unfortunately I haven't done so well at keeping up (or indeed contributing) lately, so others will be able to fill you in better than I can :)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »
Yo.    Yes lix has come real far now.   Simon has been fixing the bugs we have seen from loads of playtime in the past.

Tons of single and multi maps made from the core lix lovers
I am working on the final promo video of it slowly,  seeing as so much has changed since my previous beta vid