Author Topic: Family Feud 2014  (Read 66730 times)

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
4. Name a shape with four sides that isn't (in general) a rectangle.

Clarification / edit: By "isn't in general" I mean not always. For example:
A square is always a rectangle. (All squares are rectangles.)
A rectangle is not always a square. (A rectangle can be a square, but not all rectangles are squares).

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »
Round 6 shall remain open for another 2 days, for 7 days total. Enter now for your chance to win clampoints! (Or actual points.)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
Will the Quizmaster be playing this round?

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014 - ROUND 6 RESULTS
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
10 people proved they aren't tired of Family Feud yet. And, thanks everyone for asking, the Quizmaster (Clam) did not bail this time!

1. Are you tired of Family Feud yet?
No (1) - everyone

Selection bias much? :P

2. Name a major sporting event that occurs at least once every four years.
Football/Soccer/FIFA World Cup (1) - Clam, NaOH, Simon, Akseli, Nepster, geoo
Olympics (1/2) - Gronkling, ccexplore, RubiX
soccer [not further specified] (1/6) - möbius

"Soccer" doesn't score because there are other regular soccer events besides the World Cup.

3. Name a fruit often found on a buffet or salad bar.
Apple (1) - Akseli, Nepster, geoo
Orange (2/3) - Gronkling, RubiX
Banana (1/3) - Clam
Melon (1/3) - NaOH
Watermelon (1/3) - möbius
Cantaloupe [aka. rockmelon (I actually had to look this up)] (1/3) - ccexplore
Paprika (1/3) - Simon

Not all melons are created equal (or equally specific)! New Zealand's statistically most popular fruit (2 per person per week) apparently isn't so popular elsewhere?

4. Name a shape with four sides that isn't always a rectangle.
Parallelogram (1) - Clam, möbius, ccexplore, Akseli, RubiX
Rhombus (2/5) - NaOH, Gronkling
Quadrilateral (2/5) - Nepster, geoo
Trapezoid (1/5) - Simon

This was a tough one with the specificity rule. The preference seems to be for parallel sides, but not necessarily of equal length.

5. Name something you should never leave alone.
Money/wallet (1) - Simon, Akseli, RubiX
Baby (1) - NaOH, möbius, ccexplore
Children/kids (2/3) - Clam, ccexplore
Lemming (2/3) - Gronkling, Nepster

Those lemmings will be just fine if you pen them in, they will merely walk back and forth :)

6. Name something that would ruin a party.
Police (1) - Clam, ccexplore, Akseli, RubiX
Argument (1/4) - NaOH
Karaoke (1/4) - möbius
Parents (1/4) - Simon
Blood (1/4) - Gronkling
Vomiting (1/4) - Nepster
Party pooper (1/4) - geoo [perhaps in reference to Clam and ccexplore not playing Mafia thus resulting in a brief game?]

Nothing poops a party like a visit from the cops!

7. Which round of Family Feud 14 is the hardest so far?
3 (1) - Clam, NaOH, ccexplore, Akseli, geoo
2 (2/5) - Gronkling, Nepster
4 (1/5) - RubiX
6 (1/5) - Simon
dinosaur ["I don't care to get this one right"] (1/5) - möbius

Unfortunately the integrity of this question may have been compromised by discussion on IRC. But IRC regulars will already be aware that round 3 was so hard that the quizmaster himself "bailed" and didn't enter :)

8. Choose an integer from 0 to 10.
  • If an odd number of players choose your number, you score (x/10) points.
  • If an even number of players choose your number, you score (1 - x/10) points.
(where 'x' is the number you picked)

10 (1) - ccexplore, Nepster, geoo
9 (0.9) - RubiX
7 (0.7) - NaOH
5 (0.5) - möbius
2 (0.2) - Simon
0 (0) - Clam, Gronkling, Akseli

Risky plays were rewarded and punished in equal measure :)

SCOREBOARD

Congratulations to Akseli, who won Round 6 with exactly 7 points, of a possible 8!

Akseli 7.00
ccexplore 6.83
geoo 6.32
RubiX 6.27
Clam 6.00
Nepster 5.72
NaOH 5.68
möbius 4.45
Simon 4.18
Gronkling 3.88

Clampoints (entertainment value)

- Gronkling for his creatively formatted answer text. muchanswers. sofeud. wow.
- Nepster for suggesting clams as a salad bar fruit (fruits de mer, perhaps).
- möbius for not being bothered by the difficulty of the questions.

*yawn* Well that was tiring, I don't feel like playing another round for a while! (Only kidding! If anyone wants to host now, go right ahead and ask for the password!)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2014, 11:28:30 PM »
Sorry for making a comment in IRC, I completely forgot about Q7 when commenting on how hard this round is (which I do pretty much any round). I thought it was well known how I felt about round 3 anyway, though looking it up I didn't quite stress it as much in this topic as I complained in IRC about it back when round 3 was running. I think Akseli's win was well deserved either way, only missing out on points in the last question which was a lot about luck.

Yeah, not as hard as round 3, but not completely easy, and as always so far my view on that ended up being reflected in my ranking.

For question 6, party pooper was just the first relevant answer that sprung to mind and seemed quite appropriate. Police never even crossed my mind.

As for bananas, I think they are popular, but not so much on buffets.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2014, 11:47:40 PM »
Round 7

For questions 1-4, the normal feud scoring applies. For questions 5-8 the normal feud scoring applies as well, but to the answers given after the bribes.

1. Name a member (not the Quizmaster) who is not participating in this round! (-0.5 points penalty if member ends up participating.)

2. Name a utensil useful for eating!

3. How do you address (i.e. call him/her to get their attention) a person unfamiliar to you if you don't know their name?

4. Name a cold place.

5. Name an important ingredient for making cookies.

6. If you were granted one super power of your choice, what super power would you wish for?

7. Name something one can say about your mom.

8. Why did the chicken cross the road?

9. This round is rigged! You can bribe other players to change their answer to any of the previous four questions!
First pick a question from the last four, i.e. between Q5 and Q8. For fairness, you won't bribe specific players, but anyone for that particular questions.
Then pick the amount of points you're willing to pay as a bribe to other players so they change their answer to whatever you want. You can pick a specific answer (e.g. your answer; anyone accepting the bribe will then answer with this exact same answer), or a dumb answer that will be different for everyone accepting your bribe, ensuring they score the minimum amount of points (you can provide a few dumb sample answers if you want).
But you can be bribed too (maybe)! Also choose an amount of points above which you accept bribes, and for which question(s) you accept bribes!
If there are multiple bribe offers to some player, the player only accepts the highest paying bribe. If the best two offers tie, then the player accepts none of the bribes. The bribe amount will be deducted from the briber (the player who bribes) and awarded to the bribee (the bribed player). Only exception: You cannot bribe yourself. It's possible that multiple people will accept your bribe, so you might lose a lot of points here, so your bribe offer should probably be less than 0.50.
The bribes obviously affect the scoring of the previous four questions!

For clarity, format your answer like this:
"I offer [bribe amount] to anyone for changing their answer to Question [X] to [alternative answer]. I accept any bribes above and including [bribe amount] for question(s) [X, Y, ...]."
You can write 'a dumb answer' for [alternative answer] and provide some sample answers if you want.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2014 - ROUND 6 RESULTS
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2014, 02:13:07 AM »
3. Name a fruit often found on a buffet or salad bar.
Apple (1) - Akseli, Nepster, geoo
Orange (2/3) - Gronkling, RubiX
Banana (1/3) - Clam
Melon (1/3) - NaOH
Watermelon (1/3) - möbius
Cantaloupe [aka. rockmelon (I actually had to look this up)] (1/3) - ccexplore
Paprika (1/3) - Simon

Not all melons are created equal (or equally specific)! New Zealand's statistically most popular fruit (2 per person per week) apparently isn't so popular elsewhere?

I didn't expect such a spread of answers, but then I guess it only makes perfect sense that different fruits are more/less popular (and available) in different countries.  If you look up Wikipedia's entry for Cantaloupe it claims it is the "most popular variety of melon in the United States", and definitely in my experience plenty of fruit salads here often feature honeydew and cantaloupe melons (green and orange fleshed, respectively).  Sometimes watermelon as well but not as often.

And maybe it's also different from country to country, but the melon thing is also kinda specific to fruit salads and such.  Apples, oranges and bananas are far more common as something you might bring to work or school for lunch/snack for example.

Love Simon's answer there btw. ;P

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:20 AM »
I was going to say Cantaloupe, but I was worried it would be too obscure a name (despite the fact that I see it everywhere), so I chose melon instead, which are similar enough and also fairly popular :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2014, 02:29:38 AM »
Wow, of all the persons to come up with complicated questions, I did not expect something like question 9 from geoo who whined about difficulty just a few rounds ago...... :-\

[edit1: as I'm reading through the details, first clarification question:  I imagine answer is obvious, but bribe amount offered cannot be negative? ;P (actually, on second thought since it "probably" "won't work", maybe it is actually acceptable even if unlikely to do anything?) What about 0?]

[edit2: the "highest-paying" rule for accepting bribes amongst multiple offers doesn't quite seem to account for ties?  what happens then?]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2014, 03:08:53 AM »
Melon is essentially water with some random carbon atoms to hold it in a spherical form. :>

I'm not sure why paprika is so funny ;P nor why it is eschewed by everyone, it is a great fruit!

-- Simon

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
The only definition of "paprika" that I know is the spice made from peppers. Peppers are a fruit, which I adore, but it's a stretch to say that paprika is also a fruit.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Wow, of all the persons to come up with complicated questions, I did not expect something like question 9 from geoo who whined about difficulty just a few rounds ago...... :-\
Huh? I've never complained about questions being too convoluted/complicated, just about hard questions which are usually even just standard feud format, or imbalanced ones (that's why I didn't make it that you can bribe specific players). For instances the questions I considered particularly hard in round 3 were question 3, 4, 6 and 10 three of which were standard format. I've come up with complicated questions in the past myself.

But really, the sentence "I offer [bribe amount] to anyone for changing their answer to Question [X] to [alternative answer]. I accept any bribes above and including [bribe amount] for question(s) [X, Y, ...]." pretty much sums up what's going on here, the stuff above is just a length explanation of the gist of this sentence.

Well if you're lazy you can also just ignore question 9 and I'll interpret it as 'You don't accept or give any bribes' (More formally, I assume the default values to be -infinity and +infinity).

[edit1: as I'm reading through the details, first clarification question:  I imagine answer is obvious, but bribe amount offered cannot be negative? ;P (actually, on second thought since it "probably" "won't work", maybe it is actually acceptable even if unlikely to do anything?) What about 0?]
The rules don't say anything here, so it's allowed. No imaginary bribes though please. :P

[edit2: the "highest-paying" rule for accepting bribes amongst multiple offers doesn't quite seem to account for ties?  what happens then?]
Ok yeah I missed this, in this case let's just say the bribee can't decide which offer to take and ends up taking none.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »
The only definition of "paprika" that I know is the spice made from peppers. Peppers are a fruit, which I adore, but it's a stretch to say that paprika is also a fruit.

Oh right. In English, the word is not used for a certain subclass of pepper, but pepper seemed too general an answer to try.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
Huh? I've never complained about questions being too convoluted/complicated, just about hard questions which are usually even just standard feud format, or imbalanced ones (that's why I didn't make it that you can bribe specific players). For instances the questions I considered particularly hard in round 3 were question 3, 4, 6 and 10 three of which were standard format. I've come up with complicated questions in the past myself.

Hmm, perhaps you have some more strategic insights into that question then.  It does feel like it would qualify as a tricky question anyway simply in terms of deciding how best to answer, though I guess the lazy approach is probably a decent fallback.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:23 PM »
For question 3, if one answer specifies two different words to use based on gender, and another answer only includes one of those words, would that be scored as:  totally different answers?  subset rule (and which would be the subset)?  or lenient scoring (considered equivalent)?