Author Topic: Lemmini Audio Issue.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Name Invaild

• View Profile
Lemmini Audio Issue.
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:11:33 AM »
I hope this is the right place to put this thread...

Back in the day I was able to play Lemmini just fine without any issues whatsoever... until I upgraded my rather old PC with some extra RAM and a Video Card then for some reason, Lemmini keeps having this sound delay and the music skipping randomly which is quite annoying however if I downgrade back to the default Video Card which is integrated then Lemmini works fine again. The idea is that I want to still play Lemmini without any issues with the upgrades.

I'll post my specs since I think it may be related to this but I could be wrong, both old and new.

(Old Specs)
System: Windows XP Home
Ram: 512MB DDR
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.80Ghz
Video: Intel 82865G Graphic Controller *Integrated*
VRam: (Cant' remember.)
Audio: SoundMAX Digital Audio

(New Specs)
System: Windows XP Home
Ram: 2GB DDR
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.80Ghz
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 *PCI Card*
VRam: 256MB
Audio: SoundMAX Digital Audio

Yes, I know it isn't much of a upgrade for a fossil PC and I do have plans to buy a better PC later on but I want to at least try to get Lemmini to work again without the sound issue on the new specs, if possible. Thanks.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmini Audio Issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »
This is a known problem, although I believe prior to your post, there was no known information on what does/doesn't cause it to happen. The only known solution is to disable sound altogether (you can leave music enabled, I believe).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Name Invaild

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
This is a known problem, although I believe prior to your post, there was no known information on what does/doesn't cause it to happen. The only known solution is to disable sound altogether (you can leave music enabled, I believe).

The music skips so I will have to turn off both the sound and music or downgrade back to my Integrated Video Card to fix it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »
Unless this is a different issue altogether, the skipping is caused by the sound effects, even though it affects the music. If you have sound effects disabled, but leave music enabled, you shouldn't have problems.

However: Note that you must actually disable them in Lemmini. Just turning the volume down to zero is obviously not going to do the trick. =P

I've seen the issue occur in other Java games too, so it might be a Java issue rather than anything Lemmini-specific, or more so, to do with Java and specific formats of sound, with Lemmini using one it doesn't like so much.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Name Invaild

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »
Unless this is a different issue altogether, the skipping is caused by the sound effects, even though it affects the music. If you have sound effects disabled, but leave music enabled, you shouldn't have problems.

However: Note that you must actually disable them in Lemmini. Just turning the volume down to zero is obviously not going to do the trick. =P

I've seen the issue occur in other Java games too, so it might be a Java issue rather than anything Lemmini-specific, or more so, to do with Java and specific formats of sound, with Lemmini using one it doesn't like so much.

Even if I disable the sound effects the music still skips. Also... I did see something on the Lemmini site that mentions "SFX Mixer - select a sound device. "Java Sound Audio Engine" is most compatible, but others may have better performance (less latency)." but I don't have "Java Sound Audio Engine" as a option.