Author Topic: abstract drawing speed test for Lemmix  (Read 2723 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
abstract drawing speed test for Lemmix
« on: December 26, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
I am testing full screen drawing speed.
On my machine this is quite fast (almost 300 frames per second on a huge monitor), probably because of hardware acceleration.

If you would like to test it I would like to get back some results here (windows version and the frames per second).
Down here a link with a zipfile and a windows executable in it.

Press <ENTER> to start drawing and press <ENTER> again to stop drawing.
When stopped you see a messagebox with the number of frames per second.
<ESCAPE> of <Alt + F4> stops the program.

http://ericenzwaan.nl/eric/lemmings/Temp/RenderTest.zip

The programs draws 400 random 64x64 blocks to a buffer and then draws the buffer to the screen.

Thanks in advance.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: abstract drawing speed test for Lemmix
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »
I have an over-sized monitor as well. I got 139 frames per second. (145 when I turn off my music player and other programs)
Windows 7 home edition. I can't tell you much else but my PC has pretty good video hardware it handles most modern games fine. (although Portal 2 had some annoying lag at times...  :-\ )
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:27:04 AM »
Ah, I forgot to post my results.

I usually run my computer with high-speed, turbo boost etc disabled, basically, always in "low power" mode. In this I get 120 frames per second (exactly, that's not a rounded number). When I enable all those things, as well as run it with my powerful video card rather than the built-in weaker (but less power-intensive) one, I get 239 frames per second. 17 inch monitor in 1366x768 resolution, and my computer is a laptop if that matters. It's a Core i7, I forget the exact model but it's a quad-core 2GHz, and I have 4GB RAM, no idea what speed the RAM is.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »
reporting 273 fps here (win7/12GB)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
Okidoki thanks!
Slowest result was a 5 or 6 year old PC doing 110 frames per second.
Let's say that I lose 1/3 of time on game-processing I still get enough frames per second.
By default I'll use a fullscreen paint method, but will try my old method too (erasing parts - process game - drawing parts)