Author Topic: Hint system  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Hint system
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
Hi,

the current version 2013-09-17 (the one from -09-16 doesn't linebreak automatically, -09-17 does) has a sequential hint system. Hints cannot be edited with the editor, you must use a text editor on the raw level file. The Lix editor (2013-09-16 or newer) will write them back to the file unaltered, should you decide to alter other aspects of a level.

Hints can be sequential, the user can page through them with another icon in the UI. On level start, no hint is shown. Pressing once reveals the first hint at the top of the screen, pressing once more reveals the second and hides the first again, etc. Players can browse back and forth.

The syntax is as follows for adding three consecutive hints. You can make as many as you want with as many linebreaks <br> as you want. The game will linebreak automatically at the end of the screen, so you don't have to linebreak manually. Don't write too much on a single hint page, it'll clutter the in-game level view. Each hint page must be written as one line of text in the level file, do not hit enter within one hint page.

$HINT_ENGLISH You must build over three gaps with two builders.<br>How can you do that?
$HINT_ENGLISH Build over the second and third gap with one builder.
$HINT_ENGLISH Before building, send a climber to the wall between the last gaps<br>and have him explode to clear the path for the second builder.

There will be the key $TUTORIAL_ENGLISH, only one occurrence per level file will be used unlike multiple hint pages, but otherwise it works the same. It's used for the usually empty page before any hints. This should only be used on tutorial levels. geoo and me have made a couple at some time, they are unreleased. (This is currently supported using the key $HINT_ENGLISH, but it's not used anywere, so I will simply change meaning of this key to what I wrote above.)

Both keys exist for GERMAN, but don't bother writing German, the game will show the English hints when the Germans are empty.

Be creative when writing hints, write poetry, entertain the reader!

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Hint system
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
Hints can be sequential, the user can page through them with another icon in the UI. On level start, no hint is shown. Pressing once reveals the first hint at the top of the screen, pressing once more reveals the second and hides the first again, etc. After the last hint, the empty page is shown again.

So if I understand, you do have two distinct controls: one to toggle showing/hiding the current hint, and another to move on to the next hint?  Seems like any decent hint system should have such two distinct controls.  Also in that case, there is no need to transition from last hint to nothing, that would just be the function of showing/hiding a current hint.

==========

I guess this current hint system design is sufficient for the kinds of levels where the level designer would want to put hints in (read: tutorial levels probably?)  I can see though that if someone wants to incorporate hints in a more complex, difficult level, there is the issue of needing to provide different sets of hints that apply to multiple specific areas of the level.  The linear nature of the hints right now would lead to situations such as:

- User still struggling in area A.  He browsed to the most specific hint available for area A, but it is not clear to user that there are no more hints for area A.  Thus he then browsed to the next hint which is actually for area B, resulting in confusion as the hint is out of context with where the user is at, and also potentially spoil the user when he does finally get to area B.

- Consider the case of providing hints for a level that requires multitasking, so that in a sense the solution is maybe not so straightforwardly linear.

To be fair, these issues are not insurmoutable with the proposed simple linear hint system.  For example for issue #1 clearly the level author should consider making it clear in the text for "most specific hint for area A" that subsequent hints will be for later parts of the level.  Issue #2 most likely means each hint text simultaneously discusses the multiple areas that need to be dealt with "simultaneously".

So basically it's good to keep the design simple for now, and maybe there is no demand from level designers for a more versatile hint system.  Still, just want to throw it out there for people to think about.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:35:45 AM »
I think the controls Simon suggested use just a single key, which switches to the next hint, and after the last hint displays nothing again. This has the issue that in order to hide the current hint again, you briefly have to display the following hints even if you don't actually want to read them.
I'd propose a system with keys for previous and next hint, and technically hint 0 is the empty hint (i.e. nothing, or the variable $TUTORIAL_ENGLISH if it is set). Or alternatively a button for next hint and one to go back to hint 0 (i.e. reset).

That's an interesting concern you have regarding linearity of the hints, though I wonder how you'd plan to solve this? A list of lists of hints? It could also be solved with the current system by an intermediate hint announcing that the next hint will be about something else.
Either way, I think for most levels linear hints are probably appropriate, as they revolve about a central idea. I seems to have worked in Cheapo, and at least the way I intend to write hints would be in such a way to teasingly nudge the player into the right direction, e.g. by pointing something out or asking the right question, rather than giving specific instruction for a certain part of the level.
So I don't think an overhaul of the linear hint system is necessary.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »
geoo mentioned this on IRC already, and it'll be at least two buttons. I haven't done anything for the system in the user interface yet.

I will gladly return to you the purchase price of the game. :]

Nonlinear hint system would require a syntax overhaul, I'd do this if there were more demand.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
Awesome feature idea! More fun, and minimal complexity added to the game (except for the level designer who now has to write poetry :P). Maybe this will motivate me to finally work on my levels again? :D :-\

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
Here are hints for all my finished levels (so excluding Finale, and excluding the levels by other authors I've remade).

Well, I call them hints, but some of them are challenges, and some are just bad jokes.

Then again, some of them are genuine hints that just happen to look like bad jokes.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:55:50 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »
It might just be the timing, but I'm imagining a puzzlehunt-style competition where all the puzzles are replaced by Lix levels. (I don't care to organise one though :P) And so, that's how I'm writing my hints - in a cryptic style intended to further taunt the player :evil:. I doubt I'll make 3 per puzzle though, especially for the easier ones.

A few of Proxima's hints seem to be in this style :). I like the idea of using the hints to give challenges too, though I think a separate system for challenges and records would be better.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »
Weather has been way too hot this week, this is no programmer's weather. No reasonable progress yet.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
Hint system is complete and a new version has been released. Have fun.

I'll be away for 1.5 weeks from tomorrow. If you discover any fresh bugs, I'll cater afterwards.

One thing is already scheduled for in 2 weeks done: Automatic linebreaks for hints at the end of the screen, so you don't have to check back and forth manually where to insert <br>.

Rubix might check whether his singleplayer levels in the release are of the desired newest version.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 02:44:40 AM »
Version 2013-09-17 is up, it breaks hint lines automatically at the end of the screen. You can write long hints without manual insertions of <br>.

<br> for manual linebreaks is still possible, it's recommended for poetry or other structured text.

$HINT_ENGLISH Tapestry, tapestry, on the wall,<br>who is your owner afterall?<br>I wish it were mine...

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:09 AM »
Nice to see an update  :thumbsup:

Yes, you have included the most updated version of my singleplayer levelset.   
Thanks.

(I noticed a few maps from 'Reloaded' are included, that reloaded folder can get removed on the next update.  Full reloaded can be downloaded from my site still if people are looking for more singleplayer stuff) 
:- Think we had decided not to have it in in the Lix download, but as an expansion level pack only

Also my complete collection of multiplayer maps which some of them have had updates to & also there are some new ones in there are available in a zip from my page too. 

http://www.teknetix.net/images/Lix-Reloaded.zip
http://www.teknetix.net/images/Rubix%20All%20Multiplayer%20Maps.zip

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 06:58:35 AM »
Thanks, I've removed the Reloaded set from the main release. Version number has stayed the same.

The multiplayer maps I'll update when I will have returned around end of September.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
Yup all good.
Thanks!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 07:48:42 AM »
Not exactly about hints, but related:

Cheapo has a space for introductory text that displays before starting the level. This could be used for taunts, fun facts, more hints, or just random nonsense. Any chance of adding this? (I can see menu-screen space being a potential issue.) This sort of text seems more appropriate for pre-level, to encourage or challenge the player, rather than showing up only when you start the level.

In any case, I might write these just for fun :D. And I've written a few more regular hints lately too :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 02:41:44 AM »
I like the hint system.  :thumbsup:
here are non-specific hints for other people to use in the community set or to put in the easy levels: (you don't have to give credit) These are all from another game (Jewels of the Oracle).

Do not neglect the long route, if it is the only path.

Do not allow your ability to memorize deflect creative reasoning.

Attentive study and experimentation leads to understanding. Only then may the power of prediction be the product of knowledge.

One trifling maneuver may not confine your failure.

Perhaps you search too deeply. Reflect more upon the skills you have before you, and gaze less into yourself.

If you seek a quick solution, do I not in plainest truth advise? Explore beyond those obvious steps which seem to rule your eyes.

Plan your moves so there will always be more to make.

There are many ways to prove your knowledge and wisdom.

A course of many steps is never straight or without distraction.

Served and solved each complex task be satisfied, but faultless steps through practice; may be a finer prize.

Always measure your route most carefully and always plan your course of action.

No random method will yield a solution.

All journeys toward understanding begin at the same place.

This is not a place to risk conjecture.

Seek balance and harmony. As the moon makes way for the sun at dawn, so shall the sun always make way for the moon.

Twelve times Kandrah grows, but twelve times does she wane. Such eternal symmetry should be reflected here.

At dawn when the golden eye awakes and the blinding light of order casts out the darkness of uncertainty; be within the hall of the Sun, to plan your early and most critical moves.

The snake baking in the sun, attends decisions already made.

Be as persistent as the tiny creatures beneath your feet.

This test upholds a pronounced weight it seems, in light of morning's dazzling messenger.

With Portals blocked must this puzzle prove, but well-planned progress may the cause remove.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain