Author Topic: jLevelBuilder 1.88 (june, 9th 2021)  (Read 100168 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: coding a level-editor for Lemmings (released)
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Updated my DOS extractor tool; it now does more or less everything you need in order to get DOS graphics into Lemmini, or of course, this level editor. I created a new seperate topic for it now that it's (mostly) complete.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: jLevelBuilder
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2013, 11:44:40 AM »
@namida: congrats for having released your tool! :D It's a nice addition to the tools dedicated to Lemmings!

---

new version uploaded (beta 1.40).
new features:
- enabled selections and entity moves in zoomed views 8)
- added "Lock Moves On X/Y" checkboxes
- added "mouse wheel + CTRL" to zoom in/zoom out the level
- added "mouse wheel + SHIFT" to scroll left/right in the level
- added "mouse wheel" to scroll up/down in the level
(virtually, you no longer have to use the GUI's scrollbars to scroll in the level, since you can directly do the same thing by using the mouse wheel(+SHIFT): it's handy)

download link: http://www.lesjeuxlesplusmieux.com/jlevelbuilder.html

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
Time to code the game itself, and I've started to create some new tiles for my game. Just sharing this screenshot :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
what program do you use to create tiles?
I wouldn't mind contributing by drawing some graphics. The thing is, all I know to use is Photoshop or paint. I'm sure there are better programs out there specifically for making simple game graphics and templates and things but I don't know anything about them.

Also, if I make any graphics for this game would it be okay if they are shared freely? That is they could be used for other games like Lemmini and Lix.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
I use Cosmigo's Pro Motion: http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php
Fantastic program for creating 2D assets!

And thank you for your offer about creating tiles, but when I make games, I (like to) handle everything :D.

About the level-editor, I've added a new option "Magenta Background": when checked, the level's background color is magenta instead of black ; it may help to better distinguish some details in the level. (the new version hasn't been uploaded yet)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
I have added a new feature: "Contract/Expand Selection".

Use your mouse wheel to contract or expand selection horizontally or vertically: very smooth way to make some global adjustments when dealing with items' position. (new version hasn't been uploaded yet)

(from top to bottom)
- state #1: initial state
- state #2: vertical contraction
- state #3: horizontal contraction
- state #4: horizontal expansion

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2013, 07:09:35 PM »
new version uploaded (beta 1.50).
And it's a pretty big release that brings new options for designing levels.

new features:
- added "Magenta Background" option
- added "Enable/Disable Undo/Redo" option (when disabled, spares some CPU+RAM resources)
- added "Fill Area" brush
- added a lot of new actions for the mouse wheel
- fixed bugs here and there

1) You can find the "Magenta Background" checkbox in the "Options" menu
(also available by pressing "t").

2) You can find the "Enable/Disable Undo/Redo" checkbox in the "Edit" menu.
If "Undo/Redo" functions are disabled, then a "!" appears next to the selection counters.

... and about the little dots next to the counters? It's about auto-snapping ; see here:
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=794.msg17602#msg17602

3) Here's a fresh feature I had in mind for some weeks:
The "Brush Mode: Fill Area" option.
The idea is to delimit an area with your mouse, and then fill this area with X instances of the selected entity.
This new option is available by pressing "b+SHIFT".
("b" and "b+CTRL" are already used for "Brush" and "Brush Random")
When in "Fill Area" mode, you can use your keyboard's arrows to adjust the density of clones in real-time.

With the new "Fill Area" option, creating this group of items is a 2-second job...

And it also works with multi-item-made entities !
- row #1: doing the job, and delimiting an area filled with 6 instances of a Favorite (notice the purple rectangle that delimits the area I'm making). At this instant of the process, Steel pieces use a default size: it's normal.
- row #2: the result (with erasers included + the actual size of the Steel pieces). Excellent!

4) About the "Expand/Contract" feature (see my previous message), I've improved it a lot!
Now, in the GUI's upper-right corner, you'll find a dedicated menu for all the actions available by using the mouse wheel (contract/expand selection, move selection, make stairs of items, etc...) 

Choose an action in the list, use the slider next to the list to set the amplitude of your changes (optionnal), and, then, use your mouse wheel to easily contract/expand or move your selection. You can also create stairs or curves using your selection's items.
(note: "Scroll_Level_XY" and "Move_Selection_XY" actions also require to hold the "SHIFT" key for moving horizontally)

for example, start with aligned items, and then use a "Ramp" mode to easily make curves

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
Looking for things that are slowing the editor, I found the "entity-list real-time refresh" to be a winner.
Therefore, I've just added a "On/Off" switch for disabling this feature (switch to be found in the "Options" menu).
I'll keep on working on optimization stuff, and I'll upload beta 1.51 tomorrow or on monday.
(I'll post a message when it's done).

disabling the real-time refresh of the list spares CPU.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »
Perhaps add a manual refresh button, too?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »
Perhaps add a manual refresh button, too?
By default, the list is enabled, and it's refreshed in real-time whenever a change is made in the level (it is CPU-consuming).
If you're experiencing slowdowns and want to speed up things, you'll be able to disable the display of this list.

I wanted this list to be easily displayable/maskable, so, additionally to the "Enable/Disable List" checkbox shown in my previous post, there's a keyboard shortcut for this action: it's the "+" button.

Simply press "+" to switch between "display <-> no_display" (and, hence, have access to actual data when the list is displayed).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2013, 01:33:13 AM »
Yeah, what I'm suggesting is an option to disable automatic refresh, but refresh it manually by clicking a button (and perhaps automatically refresh it once when focus is placed on it)?
My Lemmings projects

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
Ok, I see. Actually, I don't want to display false (= not refreshed) data in the list (and, then, have the user to manually refresh the values) because if the user can't rely on what's on screen, then it souldn't have to be displayed (proceeding this way will avoid mistakes, I think  :D)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2013, 09:05:11 AM »
Fair enough. I realise this is a somewhat tricky suggestion, but what about a refresh button, and automatically clearing the list (unless auto-refresh is on) as soon as any changes are made to the level other than by using the list?

If you're going to simply leave it as on/off as you're saying now... I would strongly suggest you at least put the option next to the window, rather than in the menu bar. It might get annoying having to go to the menu every time... (And yes, knowing you, I realise there's probably at least 7 different keyboard shortcuts for it, but knowing me, I probably won't even remember one of them.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Fair enough. I realise this is a somewhat tricky suggestion, but what about a refresh button, and automatically clearing the list (unless auto-refresh is on) as soon as any changes are made to the level other than by using the list?
"Keep It Simple, Stupid" :D : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

If you're going to simply leave it as on/off as you're saying now... I would strongly suggest you at least put the option next to the window, rather than in the menu bar. It might get annoying having to go to the menu every time... (And yes, knowing you, I realise there's probably at least 7 different keyboard shortcuts for it, but knowing me, I probably won't even remember one of them.)
You're right. I'll do it. Done.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2013, 12:33:47 AM »
Okay, I have succeeded in improving the overall speed of the editor!!!  :D
It's faster than ever (without having to disable the "auto-refresh" stuff! (*)), it's smooth, and  it's very, very, very cool to use!
I'll upload the new version tomorrow!

(*): but you'll still be able to do so if you want to gain more speed!