Author Topic: Lemmings Forums on Youtube  (Read 97360 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Lemmings Forums on Youtube
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
This thread is for all Lemmings Forums content on Youtube. If you've made Lemmings videos for Youtube, and you're not ashamed of it, tell us about it here!

This is probably the number one thing LemmingsHeaven did better than us (custom tilesets a close 2nd), so I'd like to (belatedly) rectify that. I'm aware that some of you have videos of your custom levels, or gameplay of the original levels. I'd like to gather up some channel links in this post, so we can find your stuff!

Technical advice is welcome. What hardware and software do you need? How do you set it up? How do you make your videos look nice?

Lemmings Forumers on Youtube

Adam - SMSLemmings
alfonz1986 - alfonz1986
BBP - BonnyBP
ccexplore - thelemtube
Crane aka. Garjen - WaterCrane
Colorful Arty - Colorful Arty
Dodochacalo - Dodochacalo
Eric119 - EricOneOneNine
Fernito - Fernito69
Flopsy - Flopsy
Giga - GigaLem
grams88 - Atari st Favorites
Gronkling - gronkling and Diysion
GuyPerfect - ThePerfectKiosk
IchoTolot - IchoTol0t
Insane Steve - damintsustin
kaywhyn - kaywhyn
Kornhead21 - BizkitPart21
Lemmy556 - Lemmy556
loftyD - loftyD
Luis - LuisParson
Martin Z - dutjuup
MASTER-88 - metroidmaster88
möbius - Bronco541
namida - jihoon4242
Nicolas Eymerich - Ellischant
Nortaneous - Nortaneous
Pieuw - Pieuw
Pooty - PootyTheEchidna
Proxima - SentinelProxima
rtw - roundthewheelrtw
RubiX - rubix2007
Simon - SimonN
Soljmolf - Soljmolf
ssam1221 - ssam1221
Swerdis - Vidusaka
Tim - timfoxxy
The Tomato Watcher - The Tomato Watcher
Turrican - Turrican Lemm
Wafflem - Wafflem
WillLem - WillLem
Yawg - JustAnotherEgo

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:37:20 PM by Simon »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Forums on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »
Excelllent topic idea!

I'm SentinelProxima on YouTube. I've only got one Lemmings video up so far (Luis' remake of Brute Fours); the vast majority of my videos are of the Repton games (at which I am the world number one speedrunner); I also have a few of other BBC Micro games (including full playthroughs of Xor and Chuckie Egg), and the start of a "perfect run" of Iji, which I'll finish off at some point.

I use HyperCam 2 for recording and VirtualDub for editing. I don't add much polish, I just remove unwanted frames so it flows smoothly, especially where I have to splice together multiple takes.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
I'd like to gather up some channel links in this post, so we can find your stuff!

All my Lemmings videos are currently located here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLafu32KJbp9WdKEBiVK6mOeL0oWk5FbmS

Technical advice is welcome too. What hardware and software do you need, how do you set it up, how do you make your videos look nice (if at all)?

I've historically used DosBox for capture, then Avisynth for editing. The result is generally upsampled to some HD size (mainly to retain audio quality on YouTube) and encoded to MP4. I also capture videos from console systems using a typical capture device, often with some fancy deinterlacing (QTGMC is slow, but gee whiz is it good). I oughtta get an HD capture device and say goodbye to deinterlacing forever...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
So far, the only time I got sufficiently motivated to upload to Youtube is when geoo came up with that infamous 1-builder save 100% solution to DOS ONML Tame 13:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3MunMkw1M

The related posts from the forum thread are here, somewhat confusingly under a "glitches" thread.  It was captured from replaying the solution in Lemmix and there was no editing done on the video.  I don't remember what program I used for capturing.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »
I'm PootyTheEchidna on YouTube. Almost all of my Lemmings videos are based on the Master System version (the one that isn't is when 77 lemmings rescued was the record for level 19 of 3D Lemmings).

My recording and editing setup hasn't been consistent. I used to use CamStudio to record footage, but this only seems to work well when recording Lemmings because of the game's naturally low framerate. These days, I use Bandicam with the Lagarith video codec to record PC or emulator footage, I edit using Sony Movie Studio 12, and I convert to MP4 by using Handbrake. Handbrake is used because it's much quicker and higher quality than Sony's MP4 conversions.

I've also got real consoles that I can record from, as long as I am able to convert the signal to either SCART, Composite, S-Video or Component. I record Component using the Hauppauge HD PVR, and the other three signals using a Dazzle. The Dazzle is for simplicity, and the PVR is specifically for recording high quality video. For both capture devices, I record using Arcsoft Total Media Extreme 2, which is the software that came with the PVR.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
So far, the only time I got sufficiently motivated to upload to Youtube is when geoo came up with that infamous 1-builder save 100% solution to DOS ONML Tame 13:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3MunMkw1M

lol, so that's you ccexplore. I always wondered...

my channel has mostly just video replays of my own levels; http://www.youtube.com/user/Bronco541/videos?flow=grid&view=0
I was hoping one day to do a lot more. Maybe even a full commentary walkthrough of Lemmings 1, Oh no, and Revolution. But who knows when that will get done.

I use a program called Debut Video capture. It comes in a package of a bunch of stuff but only the video capture is free. I use mostly Windows movie Maker or Virtual Dub to edit.
I used to use Camstudio but It stopped working for some reason.
To anybody wanting to do video recording I recommend downloading as many video codecs you can find. I common problem I always ran into was "I needed this video codec" in order to do this and do that etc...
I used to think Youtube was evil but now I don't care.

oh and I also recently found three more amazing level designers that aren’t registered here (to my knowledge):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7C3671F2B0AFBB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azyeqD3UmwU&lc=VYxJKKHRPRQkzQbcOwXZz08c_5N96T7TtbEp-1_o5Rc
^this one I recommend his levels to advanced players, they look quite difficult and use a lot of advanced tricks and glitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S04UJBD3Wcw&list=UUla3hJ8_8TcJ3xmgEmtSUGg&index=10
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
GuyPerfect: You also have three custom levels outside your playlist you linked. Also, I remember that your YouTube name was PerfectKiosk (or something like that?) some time ago. :P

möbius: Apparently you haven't read my review about Tijmen Bok's levels in Lemmini Level Pack Topic (you said that you discovered his levels recently). That makes me wonder if I write that kind of stuff there in vain. :( :P After all, you are one of the very few who I thought to follow this Lemmini topic. Also, yeah ssam1221 was familiar to me, but this guy seemingly put that download link in his channel recently, so I downloaded his pack just like a week ago! UltimateJay was familiar to me, too.

A very nice thread indeed, I know lots of YouTube Lemmings people, I'll post here those who haven't been active lately or don't have an account here if it's ok.

People who haven't been recently active:
Forum name (link to profile) - YouTube name (link to Youtube channel)

alfonz1986 - alfonz1986
Dodochacalo - Dodochacalo
Fernito - Fernito69
Giga - GigaLem
Lemmy556 - Lemmy556
MASTER-88 - metroidmaster88
Nicolas Eymerich - Ellischant
Nortaneous - Nortaneous
RubiX - rubix2007
Tim - timfoxxy
Yawg - JustAnotherEgo

And some people who aren't here as far as I know (link to YouTube channel):

BizkitPark21
BulletRidej (Has levelpacks in the Lemmings Level Database under name BulletRide.)
doggycharly150 (Has a levelpack in the LLD under name doggycharly.)
dutjuup (Martin Zurlinden, he hasn't got any videos but I find him so remarkable Lemmings dude so I included him to the list)
karmew32 (Also known as QBeez, has levelpacks in the LLD under this name.)
Lacktardo
loftyD
Mad4Maniac (Has levelpacks in the LLD.)
MikauSchekzen (Also known as Tijmen Bok)
noooodl (Doesn't have Lemmings videos anymore? :-\ That's why the strikethrough)
PacGuy765
PaHeLemm
Sonic8000
ssam1221
UltimateJay1989
Valientlink

Let me know if you'll find mistakes in my list about who is who etc. :P
Then I know of course Adam's, Crane's, Gronkling's, Insane Steve's, Luis' and Pieuw's channels, but maybe they want to tell something about their channels? : )

I don't have videos in YouTube, but I have an account so I can comment others' videos.

And yeah, I listed mostly those who show custom levels in their channels. If I'll add those who have things like playthroughs of Lemmings, then the list will be even larger. They are more unknown to me than custom level makers.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:04 PM »
I have one and I'm uploading the solutions to GL7 now. Should probably try to get more up on it though like challenge solutions or something. There's also a few drawing videos and a proper animation video I should probably have made a better account for but its too late now.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 01:52:32 AM »
möbius: Apparently you haven't read my review about Tijmen Bok's levels in Lemmini Level Pack Topic (you said that you discovered his levels recently). That makes me wonder if I write that kind of stuff there in vain. :( :P After all, you are one of the very few who I thought to follow this Lemmini topic. Also, yeah ssam1221 was familiar to me, but this guy seemingly put that download link in his channel recently, so I downloaded his pack just like a week ago! UltimateJay was familiar to me, too.

sorry Akseli but I did read that, I just forgot, it was a few months ago.
at the time I didn't have time to play a lot of packs and I personally like to look at a video of them before judging if I want to play them or not. I'm not so good at making judgments from reading and I read all that but I don't think I actually tried any of the packs. I just don't have the time. I don't even know if I'll get time to play Tijmen Bok's levels now.
thanks for this list anyway.  :) There are a lot more than I knew of.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Yea, damintsustin on Youtube (in-joke with a different group, don't ask, also some NWS language on my profile), currently have one recording of a level from ISteve10 and a DDR chart up but I keep talking about a Lemmings Revolution LP. I have Casmtasia Studio and Skype/Mumble so I can run video while playing, and I know how to use Teamviewer so people can remotely watch my screen, so I definitely want to have other people on the forums commenting along while I play.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 04:01:18 AM »
First video of the Lemmings Revolution LP is up!

With geoo as special guest co-host

This is going to be an excellent series
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »
Right now my channel is the only one that has a complete playthrough of the PSP version and has the most videos of that game.

Fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51mO8-PkFeQ
Tricky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDq3hBcxfXY
Taxing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Kno07YYRw
Mayhem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGOw2ID9cE
Special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ICH7qAIWg

The sound in the special video is messed up, because that video was made when I needed new RCA Splitters.

Lemmings 2 Classic PSP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjuQsjo5r_U

There some videos of remakes of the Sega levels. The Temporary Peace video is outdated, because I changed the terrains on the top left. What I don't get is why the "Keep Step" video has a lot of views. ??? Someone even stole the video and uploaded on their channel. What's special about that level?
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »
Thanks for that list Akseli. I'll add those into the top post.

There's also Eric119 / EricOneOneNine who did the Lemmings Laziness Challenge (i.e. least skills).

(edit) Also, of course we can count rtw / roundthewheelrtw since he joined the forums :)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »
I think I should make a Undamaged playthrough. You know the one where you beat a level without destroying the level? But then again, I would have do that difficult Tricky 26 solution.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
sorry Akseli but I did read that, I just forgot, it was a few months ago.
at the time I didn't have time to play a lot of packs and I personally like to look at a video of them before judging if I want to play them or not. I'm not so good at making judgments from reading and I read all that but I don't think I actually tried any of the packs. I just don't have the time. I don't even know if I'll get time to play Tijmen Bok's levels now.
thanks for this list anyway.  :) There are a lot more than I knew of.
It's alright. :D I was wondering though because you commented his video "Where I can get your levels?" and my review included the download button... it still works, doesn't it? :P Nice that my list let you know more new level makers, though! :)

Thanks for that list Akseli. I'll add those into the top post.
Very nice! :) Eric119 was a new guy for me. : )

Steve: Haha, I gave a thumb up for your LP Lemmings Revolution, awesome stuff! Can't wait for more! :----D So, I assume that you are the first voice and geoo is talking there with the second voice. Whoah : )

Also, I edited my non-lemmingsforumer list, adding möbius' mentions there and putting a strikethrough to noooodl, because it seems that those levels disappeared just a few days ago. :0

EDIT: Just found this topic related closely this Clam's one.