Author Topic: Seeking classics I missed!  (Read 11546 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Seeking classics I missed!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Will definitely consult this list in the future, although for me, I kinda feel like I should at least complete all the PC lemmings game in the franchise first (well, maybe minus Lomax and Paintball as they aren't IRS).  I still have some levels left in Lemmings 3, about 1/3 of Lemmings Revolution, and I haven't played a single Lemmings 3D level yet (admittedly I'm still not sure if I'll like doing the game in 3D).

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
(well, maybe minus Lomax and Paintball as they aren't IRS)
I would recommend going with the PlayStation version of Lomax, myself. The Microsoft Windows version is a hobbled port of it, and it lacks transparencies - these elements are displayed as solid in the Windows version, and considering the fact that some levels use translucent foreground effects very heavily, your vision would be impaired quite badly.

I do very highly recommend the game, though. It's my second-most-favourite game in the Lemmings series, though it's just about tied with the first...

and I haven't played a single Lemmings 3D level yet (admittedly I'm still not sure if I'll like doing the game in 3D).
... Which just so happens to be Lemmings 3D. :D

I love it, myself - it challenges you to think of the consequences of the lemmings' actions in multiple dimensions, and it's really quite refreshing. It's also devoid of some of the more frustrating aspects of the titles that came before it (for example, levels where you you mess up late on and just use replays to skip up to that point on your next attempt are counted as having been completed "properly", unlike The Lemmings Chronicles, and there are never any instances of expecting you to know obscure/convoluted tricks in order to pass a level). Just bear in mind that it's block-based instead of pixel/tile-based, and it all falls into place quite nicely.

If you're going with the MS-DOS version, be sure to check all of the keyboard/mouse commands first, though. Whilst I always found them to be nicely intuitive, some folks seem to find them confusing. Same for the equally-intuitive PlayStation version, too, really. :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
cc: At least the blocky L3D landscape should be to your liking, and the already mentioned legal action replay.

Pushover, One Step Beyond, and Stoneage are great puzzle games, with only the time limits and life systems as major annoyances. There are a few special tiles to learn in each game, but not many. Another nice puzzle game is Avish, DOS only. It's not well-known, but its physics are fully discrete and there is no time limit.

-- Simon

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Another nice puzzle game is Avish, DOS only. It's not well-known, but its physics are fully discrete and there is no time limit.
I just had to look this up, 'cos I've never heard of it before (there's a video here, for everyone else :P), and it looks pretty clever! Nice one. :thumbsup:

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »
There is one Lemmings game (I think) not even mentioned here on the forum, 'Lemmings Tribes' (Glu Mobile). It is just mobile version, but can be played on the PC with a help of the emulator.
There are 3 tribes in the game, Classic, Space and Medieval. Game is different compared to any other Lemmings game. Only problem for me is a lack of mouse support, I really don't like to play Lemmings with keyboard (joypad/joystick doesn't help either). But, whoever don't mind playing with keyboard, should really consider to try this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YlrNBGADy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIf0lMDRk9I

Offline wysiwyg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
Troddlers (Amiga, SNES, PC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc13_0voSEU

Good call! Troddlers was one of my favourite Amiga games back in the day, and was obviously inspired by Lemmings.

I still search google every now and again, hoping someone has made a remake or a level editor for one of the ports.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
Hi Prob Lem

Check my you tube account see if you like any of the atari st games I have on there, I only have four long plays.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TGreyhair/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Three of the games are quite rare ones but the blues brothers was a classic.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »
Thanks very much, grams88. :thumbsup:

This is very timely, as I've just been starting to focus on looking into what I've missed on the Atari ST over the last couple of days, funnily enough!

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
Have you played Rod Land? I didn't get to play many Amiga games before the disk drive decided to die horribly, but that game was probably my favourite outside of Lemmings. It's a single-screen platform game where you can summon ladders and smack enemies silly with your magic wand. You can also collect all the flowers in each level for a chance of an extra life.

I got my dads mate into this game two years ago as I thought it was challenging.  I liked the yellow guys at the start of the game and later on the yellow guys end up multiplying and it ends up they are loads around.  :thumbsup:   

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:46 AM »
Suggestions, eh? Then you should try out Rayman 1. It's one of the best platformers out there. :thumbsup:

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
I like that suggestion, and funnily enough, I already have the game. :thumbsup:

It's been on my next-to-finish list ever since I completed Lomax - which you should probably check out if you like both Lemmings and Rayman, which I'm guessing you do, since it's very much in that vein.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 08:44:16 AM »
I have not yet played Lomax, but I'm sure I will love it, because the style is similar to Rayman 1.  :D

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 10:44:44 PM »
I've have been playing this game on the Atari st called Erik, Interesting game so close to completing it in one run.  I can get to the spider boss but I'm always getting killed (Maybe I might do a long play of this game as I think it's really fun)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-erik_9241.html

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »
Amiga were my favorite days.  Lemmings being my true favorite game on it, this was followed by 'fury of the furries' (which i noticed someone else mentioned.    If you haven't tested it, its really a must)

it's an amazing platform puzzler.   The early levels are more about just platform run and jump, but then you start getting into solving puzzles to get through the level.   

Great fun, awsome level music.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
Has anyone tried the game Cloud Kingdoms for the atari st, I managed to complete this game around the start of the year,

A very tricky game but sure is fun.