Author Topic: Level design contest #1 - results!  (Read 19571 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Level design contest - results!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »
I'll admit it's a bit of a d**k move.
Haha, I haven't tried the last version of that level yet, but I had forgot this post about your level until now. :P

Btw Crane, how's your levelpack proceeding? :) (Sorry for little off topic!)

Anyway, my solution for Tier Drops attached.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
Hah, I gotta hand it to you, that's a pretty clever solution!

Good job on finding the old posts.  The pack still exists, but I'm wondering how to approach it because "JAILBREAK!" doesn't actually work on Lemmix / Custlemm due to different bomber mechanics, and the pack's final level, "Mastermind", has a major backroute in it that is proving very difficult to fix.

Easy enough to fix that backroute in Tier Drops though - stay tuned.  I'll wait to see it anyone else finds backroutes, or the official solution.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 06:13:03 AM »
Here's my solution. Pretty straightforward, actually.

I'll wait until you've fixed up Prize Catch then, and once that's done compile the contest levelpack for the level database.

Adam: I looks like we're contemplating when to have the next contest or level jam, but no-one's decisive enough. :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
My solution to Tier Drops, I'm guessing backroute.  (To avoid spoilers I'm going to refrain from looking at other people's replays on this level for time being.)

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
I hope you can get your computer healthy again, Proxima!

Shall we try and come up with a general consensus for the next contest?

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 05:42:55 AM »
Actually, I'm intrigued to find out what a level jam is!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 08:57:24 AM »
I'm curious to see it too. We should put up a poll for themes, and start jamming as soon as the poll reaches a result.

Also, here's another replay for Tier Drops, which is probably the same as someone else's (I haven't looked).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »
Aah, there are always risks in putting in routes that look correct but are supposed to be red herrings.  I'll see what I can do.

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:51 PM »
Shall we start the poll with just the original Lemmings themes for this one?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Level design contest #1 - results!
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 03:20:27 AM »
Well how about this, I'll just appoint you as organizer for the contest/jam to come, Adam! I just think there need to be someone who feels responsible for making decisions. :P (Tell me if you don't like this role -- next down my list are Akseli, Clam and Simon; well initially I hadn't considered you on my list of people to sneakily hand over responsibility to, but you basically asked for it. :P) On that note, I have to thank Akseli a lot for his engagement in the last contest (some of it behind the scenes), helping recruit people and giving opinions!

So I just renamed all the topics to include #1, in particular the preparation topic for the first contest might be a good read: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=722.0

A (multi-vote) poll for a theme seems like a good idea, though before that I think it should be decided whether to have a level jam or a full-fledged contest next. I'll leave that up to you how to do that. :P

Anyway, I just gathered the topics that have been suggested.
- No builders
- Design a level where the save requirement is exactly 1 lemming (out of however many you wish)
- One type of skill
- No terrain removal skills/Only terrain removal skills
- No steel, traps, liquid, oneway-walls...
- One minute time limit
- Single lemming level/Two lemmings/Three...
- Something from the challenge board? Release rate 99, undamaged levels...
- Combinations of some of these
- "Commando" level... either just one lemming, or two lemmings out of separate trapdoors.
Possible condition to tack on:
- use your least favourite style

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
I hope you can get your computer healthy again, Proxima!

Thanks! Natsuki seems to be doing fine now, and appreciates the concern 8)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »
I've polished up the fixes in Prize Catch.  I'm not sure what the new shredder trap is meant to stop, but to make sure I've put some terrain pieces in its place so you cannot bridge that gap.

As for Tier Drops, each backroute has a common location for the digger - this area was meant to be a red herring, but seeing as it was just asking for trouble, it has now been blocked off, and, from what I can see, is the only change that was needed.

Let me know if Prize Catch version 9 opens any new backroutes.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 03:01:36 AM »
The shredder trap was supposed to eliminate ccexplore route (which is possible again now that you've replaced it with terrain), which goes as follows:
Instead of 'catching' the climber like in the intended route, you can turn him around before digging the pole by building against the terrain you placed there, and only dig down once he's turned around. That way he'll automatically face right after digging the pole, and walk safely to the exit. To make sure he won't climb into the squisher trap, you can just making him bash at the end instead of someone else.

I had a short glance at Tier Drop, but I haven't solved it yet (guess that might be a good thing :)).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 03:24:30 AM »
The shredder trap was supposed to eliminate ccexplore route (which is possible again now that you've replaced it with terrain), which goes as follows:
Instead of 'catching' the climber like in the intended route, you can turn him around before digging the pole by building against the terrain you placed there, and only dig down once he's turned around. That way he'll automatically face right after digging the pole, and walk safely to the exit. To make sure he won't climb into the squisher trap, you can just making him bash at the end instead of someone else.

Ooh, good point.  I missed that one.  Always the simple things!  Anyway, hopefully this rectifies the exploit while remaining pretty!  Of all the replays I missed, it had to be that one.  Thanks.  Hopefully this is the final revision I will need to do for Prize Catch for it to be a worthy level at last!  (Porting it to Lemmini though will be problematic though due to how bombers work differently on steel)

And if you haven't solved Tier Drops from a mere glance (for other forum readers, it's at the bottom of the previous page), then that's a good thing.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 04:01:11 AM »
So what's the plan now? Each of our final revisions goes into a Custlemm pack?