Author Topic: Level design contest #1!  (Read 40393 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Level design contest!
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2013, 12:30:03 AM »
are people getting points for every version of a level they solve? So the more versions the more points they'll get? (so it might be in my interest to not make revisions?  :evil: )
As Proxima said, no. It is in your interest to fix all backroutes as soon as possible, as in the unofficial scoring category there will be another levelpack consisting of the 'final' version of each level (which will be the latest version of your level publicly posted before Tuesday Mar 5th at noon UTC), which everyone has to solve (and gets a point for solving).
For the unofficial backroute finding category, I might miss some backroute reports here, or someone might forget to post a backroute report, so it's best if everyone just sends me their solutions for every version of every level. I will check which solutions are backroutes, trying to make a sensible decision based on the intended routes and statements by the level authors in the topic. You get a backroute-point for each backroute, but at most one per level version (and no points for backrouting your own level).

geoo, I'd like to have some clarification on the rule that late entries lose one point in each category. Presumably this only applies to the categories in which the level itself scores points, and not to the author's points for number of levels solved? It seems unfair that I'd get fewer points if I submit a late entry than if I submit no entry at all.

(I am indeed hoping to submit a late entry... it's just very difficult to find time at the moment.)
That's a good point. I want to give a penalty for late submissions, but I want to encourage people to submit their levels late rather than just playing along, so I'll do away with the penalty for the main category. So you'll only lose one point in the fun and the looks category.

Would be great if you managed to submit a level still.

geoo, I didn't get your level to work in Lemmix. It complains something about FindGraphicSet 6 not found.
Tried style Original & ONML. (sorry if I asked a stupid question.)

By the way people, what of the levels of this contest you consider hardest?
You should use the Custom Lemmings viewer style in Lemmix. CustLemm is basically Original and ONML mashed together, where the ONML styles have been reindexed to use the number 5-8 (and the original levels use 0-4). If you have an issue opening my level, then you should actually have the same issue with Steve's and Akseli's levels. Tell me if you need a copy of CustLemm so you can get the Custom Lemmings viewer style to work in Lemmix.

As for the hardest level, it's really hard to say. Of the levels I know the intended solution of (that's Pooty's, Steve's and Clam's), I'd say Steve's is the hardest, even though Clam's took me longer to solve. And I can't judge how hard my own level is, but as far as I know no-one has found the intended solution yet. But all of them are pretty challenging, even the backrouteable versions (amongst those, I'd say Steve's is the easiest :P).

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2013, 01:18:59 AM »
geoo backrouted v2, so here's v3.  :D

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 03:39:19 AM »
I might have backrouted both v2 and v3 of "The Isle of Skye" with the same solution (and v1 with a different solution).  Aah, the joys of finding and fixing backroutes.

In the meantime, here is v7 of "Prize Catch" after geoo modified one of his earlier backroutes to work with this one (I have to say, that one was pretty elegant).  I probably shouldn't give clues, but the intended solution has something to do with the name of the level.

Seems my level has the dubious honour of "Brickout Memorial Trophy".  I may have found some backroutes of my own in The Isle of Skye, Tres Hombres and The "Hole in the Head" Gang, but I'll let geoo organise that.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2013, 07:08:17 AM »
What is the issue you're having with Clam's replay btw?

Somehow my replay didn't download correctly, despite it being a Dropbox download just like yours. In case this happens to anyone else: if instead of a download you get a page reading "LRBxxxxxxxx" (where the x's are garbage characters), try right click then Save As.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »
Well that last backroute fix was completely useless (Why I shouldn't try at 1am), geoo and Crane backrouted it.

so here's v4, hopefully this one actually does something and this doesn't go the same way as my usual levels, getting to something like v27

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
Finally finished the second version of my level! Pooty's solution was the easiest one which I know for that level (the one I also found), and it's now fixed, like geoo's glitch solution, too. Proxima's and Clam's solutions I find very neat, and I accept them willingly. :) Gronkling was the fifth person to solve my level, his solution was similar backroutish like geoo your third solution, but those shouldn't be anymore possible. So, geoo, Pooty and Gronkling backrouted my level. I also placed the objects now so that level error list says ok! :D

I've received now 7 replays from people and they're all different and interesting! I'm happy that nobody has found a solution which saves extra lemming(s). One of those replays is the intended solution. :XD:

When I first saw your level, it looked to me like one that has probably a bunch of possible solutions, but when I tried, it wasn't easy to come up with one. I just brute-forced my way through the level with that glitch, and I hadn't looked for alternative solutions yet because I thought you'd fix this. I just had another glance now, and I found a solution that only uses 4 skills (see PM).
It's definitely a nice level to try out different things, while not having any easy solution that stands out. I'm just curious which design process you used when making this level (if it doesn't give anything away about the level); I like building a level around a certain trick, others prefer starting with some terrain without a specific solution in mind, then trying to find solutions themselves and the refine things. I suspect the latter have the tendency to be a bit more backroute-prone, as the designer essentially has to do the work of a solver as well. Is your level made like this? The design looks really clean!
What is the issue you're having with Clam's replay btw?
Thanks! :) I built my level around a certain trick. But I like some alternate solutions which Proxima and Clam have found so far, and I really like that my level has multiple solutions, which are interesting enough and not too easy.
I had the same issue with another of your Dropbox replays, (the other one worked for some reason) but I managed to get them to work by pressing right click and Save As, like Clam said.
bumpy terrain is nice to hide features of the level in, and I might have succeeded, considering no-one has solved version 2 of my level yet as far as I know. :P
I agree. Terrain in tilesets like dirt, rock and snow can hide features in a different way than straight pieces, which is a clear strength of bumpy terrain tilesets compared to those with mostly straight pieces. Möbius' favourite example would be here tseug's "Oh No! Not Again!". :D

By the way people, what of the levels of this contest you consider hardest?
It has to be geoo's Stroke at Retirement Age. Even the first version with the backroute was tough to pull of, and the whole level seems to manage in hiding nearly every aspect of the solution.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:16 AM »
I've received now 7 replays from people and they're all different and interesting! I'm happy that nobody has found a solution which saves extra lemming(s). One of those replays is the intended solution. :XD:
But now that version 2 is out, I've found a solution saving one more than required (based on what you say is your intended route). So you might just ramp up the requirement in the end.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »
Geoo backrouted my level yet again and I just thought of an obvious fix so here's v5 (Getting high now)  :scared:

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
Gronkling found a backroute that exists in all 3 versions of my level so far. (I'm disappointed you didn't find this one geoo ;))

On to v4. :-\

Offline lyygak

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
I've now decided on how I'm going to fix my backroute problem. Here you go.

Edit: Akseli and geoo have now solved this level in a way that I'm happy with.

Edit 2: That said, in the spirit of the backroute fixing jam, and because I seem to be a horrible person, I'm going to attempt to force the correct solution. lyygak scores a v1 backroute, geoo and Akseli score a v2 backroute.

I don't understand this, I have 2 solutions that both work on v2 (one of them is the intended one you told me).
So shouldn't that be v2 for me and v1 for geoo&Akseli? (Just tried some levels for fun, I'm not really in this contest).

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
I don't understand this, I have 2 solutions that both work on v2 (one of them is the intended one you told me).
So shouldn't that be v2 for me and v1 for geoo&Akseli? (Just tried some levels for fun, I'm not really in this contest).

The v number represents which version of the level you found the backroute in. By declaring later that your alternative route is now a backroute, I retroactively awarded you a v1 backroute (since you sent me your solution before v2 was released), and geoo and Akseli a v2. What I probably should have done is award you a v1 and v2, since I hadn't fixed your backroute.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
geoo found the intended solution but here's another version that fixes something else. (Hopefully this is the final version  :XD:)

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
Version 3 of my level is now up.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
I’ve waited until everyone got a solution in to make changes so I wouldn’t have to make so many updates.
There are two intended solutions. Some have found one, so far nobody’s found the other (apparently harder one). In case anybody’s interested “version 4” prevents the first one (allowing only one (you know 'hopefully' allowing only one).
I personally like the decoration the way it is in version 3 currently.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »

The v number represents which version of the level you found the backroute in. By declaring later that your alternative route is now a backroute, I retroactively awarded you a v1 backroute (since you sent me your solution before v2 was released), and geoo and Akseli a v2. What I probably should have done is award you a v1 and v2, since I hadn't fixed your backroute.

For what it's worth Akseli found a route in the v3 of my level that I wasn't planning on fixing had geoo not found his route but now doesn't work in v5 -- should Akseli get a point for a v3 backroute now?

So far have two solves for v5 - geoo who has the intended route and Akseli who has a not quite intended route but it's similar enough for my taste and quite clever so I'm counting it as legitimate for now (but if someone else gets a v5 route that I want to remove I'm probably removing that too, just a heads up  :P)

Oh that reminds me I should get to work at solving at some point too  8)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano