Author Topic: Challenge based level creation  (Read 2009 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Challenge based level creation
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:15:38 AM »
I have an old levelpack half way done, but I’m probably going to release it as is (about 5 levels)

…Because I’ve recently had an epiphany. I fell away from designing levels for a number of reasons but I think mostly because it got boring. I lost inspiration and felt like the ideas had run out. I also feel the game in general has reached its limitations for me. (maybe not so for other people, and that’s great, but for me it pretty much has)

Since a more complicated game engine doesn’t exist (or at least won’t for the very near future) I can instead make use of another great idea that is on this forum; challenges.

I’m going to design levels specifically designed for a particular challenge. For example; a ‘the 1-skill-per-lemming’. In some way (probably in the title or level pack title) I’ll make it clear that this is the goal of the level. So if my levels appear ‘easy’ at first glance; it’s probably one of these.
I think there’s a lot of potential to be seen here. [and I don't care that it can't be enforced]

So whaddaya think? Anybody care to join me?  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Challenge based level creation
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:47 AM »
CCExplore, I believe, modded the DOS Lemmings to enforce the one-skill-per-lemming restriction. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to mod Lemmix to do the same, especially with it being open-source.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)