Author Topic: Running the game on "non admin" account - windows xp  (Read 1942 times)

Offline FG

• View Profile
Running the game on "non admin" account - windows xp
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »
I installed Lemmings but they run only in admin account (windows xp).

On a "normal" account it gives the message "Lemmings Revolution has been corrupted. Please re-install".

Is there any way to give it to normal users (read children)?

I tried to search the forum but with no success...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Running the game on "non admin" account - windows xp
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:26 PM »
I've never tried to run the game as a non-admin like you're doing here.  Your best bet is probably to try to install the game in a directory (folder) that does not require admin privileges for write access, such as  under "My Documents" or the desktop.  I don't remember however whether the Lemmings Revolution installer lets you specify where to install the game to.  I guess it does but I don't know for sure off top of my head.  Also, I can't guarantee that it's sufficient since I don't know for sure what operation (it may actually be the registry and not files) the game is being denied access to under a non-admin account.

On Vista and Win7, I believe you can set compatibility settings that address this sort of issue--Windows under the covers will redirect the game's attempts to read/write to protected locations (file and registry) into some other virtualized locations that a non-admin account can access.  But I don't think XP has that.  Assuming the problem was due to the game trying to write to one of its files but the files are in a directory requiring admin privileges to access, installing the game in a different directory should hopefully help.