Author Topic: Lemmings Revolution in a window or larger resolution  (Read 11774 times)

Offline jclampy

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Revolution in a window or larger resolution
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 02:53:08 AM »
How to improve in-game fonts so they are properly shown.
(Currently only tested with ATI graphics cards)

ATI users have an option called "Alternate Pixel Centers", if you activate that then font issues
in Lemmings Revolution are solved.

I couldn't see where the option might be hiding in Catalyst Control Center, maybe it is a registry
setting only?

I personally use ATI Tray Tools which I know has this option and it is also easy to setup a profile
just for Lemmings Revolution, incase it causes problems for other games. (or not?)
Unfortunately I can't make a tutorial on how to use ATI Tray Tools so hopefully you will get the
gist of how to use it. Once you have it up and running...

1) First click on the ATI Tray Tools icon and go to '3D' and then click on 'Settings'.
2) In the '3D Settings' window that pops up go to the 'Additional' tab.
3) Put a tick in the 'Alternate Pixel Centers' box and click on the [Apply] button.
4) Now you can either save this to a new profile name or just click the [Ok] button.

Here is a before and after screenshot:

Unfortunately no idea whether Nvidia has an option like this or how a Nvidia user would use it.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:34 PM »
thanks a lot jclampy  :thumbsup:

I'll definitely try this. Don't remember what graphics card I have but I'll try anyway.

--------
This probably won't help you but;
I recently played the game on a 1280x800 monitor. Everything was basically the same, including the messed up text on the skills bar. Except of course the ratio was correct so it was more narrower in height wise than I was used to. I had some screenshots but they mysteriously vanished…
I also played the game on a Gateway 1-piece desktop computer with Windows 98. I installed it and the game automatically played in a “window” with black around the edges. (In other words it was full screen but still played at the original 800x600 resolution. This could’ve simply been the computer however, that particular computer had a strong habit of doing that with all kinds of games.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline jclampy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »
The games original display ratio is 4:3 aka 1.33 so if we use a calculator and put 640 / 480 = 1.33 which is a 4:3 ratio. If we use 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x960, 1600x1200 for example are all 4:3 ratio's if you were to check with calculator.

Note that other 'squareish' resolutions are not 4:3 ratio, ie: 1280x1024 (1280 / 1024 = 1.25 which is a 5:4 ratio)

For widescreen's;
1280x800 resolution through calculator 1280 / 800 = 1.6 which is a 16:10 ratio.
Other widescreen resolutions may give you a 16:9 ratio for example.

When we use a resolution that is not of a 4:3 ratio there is only two things that can happen:
1) We stretch the picture either vertically/horizontally or both to make it fill the screen. Satisfaction is in the 'eye of the beholder'.
2) We have a 4:3 ratio picture shown fullscreen with 'black borders' padding out the edges. This will give a more accurate picture but the black borders maybe distracting/awkward for some people.

Unfortunately if you are unable to change the games fullscreen resolution, which is the case with Lemmings Revolution. Then you end up with a small picture inside big black borders.

Now the interesting thing to learn about here, is to do with how your monitor or graphics card manages any resolution that is not your 'native resolution'.
1) For example; my video card has 'Image Scaling' where I can tick a checkbox 'Enable GPU scaling' and then pick from three options: Maintain aspect ratio, Scale image to full panel size, Use centered timings.
2) For example; widescreen monitors will also have settings like: ratio 1:1, 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, stretch to fill screen, centered image display (or something similar)
If you think carefully about these settings you can probably work out what each will do with the fullscreen picture displayed.

***Basically if your monitor has these settings, then only use those and deactivate video card 'Image Scaling'. If your monitor doesn't have these settings, then your only option is to enable video card 'Image Scaling'. ALL OF THIS IS ONLY FOR WIDESCREEN MONITORS. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT NECESSARY WITH OLD 'SQUAREISH' 4:3 MONITORS.***

I am quite sure that if you are playing Lemmings Revolution *fullscreen* and you change your desktop resolution beforehand to a size you think may look nicer, will make no difference to how Lemmings Revolution is shown *fullscreen*. The only way to make a difference is when using either your video cards or monitors 'Image Scaling'/'Ratio' settings.

Ok, so what else can we do then?

Well, there is one way that we can control the size of the game's display on our screens and not have black borders. That is to play it in a 'Window'.

For example, if your desktop is 1280x800 you could play the game inside a 4:3 ratio 1024x768 window. D3DWindower will stretch the game to 1024x768 for us, which we can't do while playing fullscreen (since Lemmings Revolution has no ingame options to do this). Your desktop will then fill the rest of the screen area in the background.

I hope that is a better explaination of everything? Please ask questions if I missed something or if parts are confusing.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
I'm having a little trouble because I can't figure out how to access ATI Tray Tools, or if I even have it. I have ATI and I have the catalyst Center (never used it until now). All I can do so far is "enable system tray menu" which is not the same as what you're using. At least--It doesn't have any options like your's has.

You appear to  be using Windows XP or earlier. I have 7. Can you enable the ATI tray tools from inside the Catalyst center? Should I look in the program folders of ATI suffs?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline jclampy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
Sorry, here are some useful links;

ATI Tray Tools latest version; (currently 1.7.9.1573 (beta))
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=320467

Official forums here;
http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

I'm still using the tried and true WinXP. My desktop visuals look that way because I prefer 'function' over 'form'.  :-[
Not sure if you may have trouble with ATT and Win7, finger's crossed...

I hope it works for you as I have been using this tool ever since I switched back to ATI from Nvidia.
Don't think I would like to use an ATI card without having ATI Tray Tools.
A really powerful tool with great features, I'm using the powerful OSD features all the time. ;)

Good luck!

[Edit]
If you do have trouble here are some links I found that may help get ATI Tray Tools working under Win7
1)
http://www.overclock.net/t/597583/ati-tray-tools-for-windows-7-x86
2)
http://www.bayareatechpros.com/ati-tray-tools-latest/
3)
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/33099-getting-ati-tray-tools-work.html
4)
http://arbitraryusefulinfo.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/using-ati-tray-tools-in-windows-7/

Hopefully that should get it running atleast..
Then you will probably have some fun learning to use it.  8)