Author Topic: Best Level Pak  (Read 3283 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Best Level Pak
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:41:19 PM »
In your opinion whats been your favourite level pack and what's been your least favourite OH I just had to add that last bit (LOL)

:)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: Best Level Pak
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »
My favourite is probably Pieuw 04 due to the fact that it works on lemmini, it looks nice and I find it fun.
My least favourite is my first level pack.  :P

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
Well, I don't know which is my least favourite level pack but Martin Zurlinden's level pack from over 10 years ago contains 30 high-class levels. They were first non-official levels I ever played and they impressed me totally. I'd highly recommend this level pack for every Lemmings fan, one can get it from here: http://www.abc64.de/lemmings/

My favourite Lemmini pack is Dodochacalo's DoveLems from here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Dodochacalo
It contains 125 beautiful, excellent levels which offer entertainment for hours and hours, I just like this pack veeeery much! :)

[EDIT: Updated the second link probably for the last time]

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
I haven't play many but I like Insane Steve's 10th pack. Even though I've only solved 1 level in it so far.
Clam Spammer's first level pack is also very nice.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
I'd say geoopk1. Probably not to everyone's taste, since the levels are quite technical and not so great-looking, but it's a properly hard set and very satisfying to solve.

Least favourite, anything with random water and flags everywhere. That's just daft :XD:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »
It was interesting with what Akseli was saying with the Martin Zurlinden levels.  Those were really good and hard but I managed to complete them but as far as the Dove Lems I'm still to complete them.

There was one level where the exit was invisible and you had to find it.  A lot of people used to dig around the map to try to find but the exit    (Martin Zurlinden Level)  My favourite of the Martin Zurlinden Levels.

Gronkling I like honesty with what you were saying about your first level pack well if it's your first level pack you are really just trying to get used to the editor programme.

As what Clam Spammer was saying with random stuff put everywhere that's not good and looks like a mess and those levels put you off

Dove lems is a very interesting and very neat levels with some great puzzles

The Levels I think were really good are   (Dove Lems)  (Martin Zurlinden levels)

This might be a long shot but there was a pack which I think was called Van Clam or something like that which was really good and I recommend that.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
It's not a CustLemm/LemEdit pack, but I was a huge fan of a pack for the now defunct Cheapo Copycat game called "Why Bother?" by "The Purpletrator" [I am not entirely sure I am spelling that right]. Absolutely beautiful levels that were very challenging and satisfying to solve. Only qualm with it is the creator's fondness for hidden traps, but that's a minor thing.

Martin Zurlinden's pack was the pack that got me into level design in the first place. A lot of tough levels there, also. Never tried DoveLems, I'll have to have a look at it.

I can't really name one least favorite pack, just because there's several on the Levelpack Database that are just hideous and are pretty obvious first attempts at level design. Flag/object spam (as CS mentioned), jarringly badly placed terrain, trivial solutions... ugh. Just, no. I don't remember what any of them are called but I'm pretty sure no one who posts here made any of these wrecks.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:26:43 AM »
This might be a long shot but there was a pack which I think was called Van Clam or something like that which was really good and I recommend that.

Close, but not quite :D. It's Van Clan, made by Tim aka timfoxxy, no relation to me :). These are available on the levelpack archive in fact, labeled Timpack1-11 / A-F. There are some neat levels in here, but mostly huge builder maps. They do look rather nice though :)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:42:44 PM »
They were really fun levels even though lots of the levels were hugh.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:59:25 PM »
I was thinking at first Clam spammer might have had something to do with those Van clan levels.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »
My favourite set is also for Cheapo, and it's Steve's Notebook sets.
This is basically where I learned solving hard levels. Took me quite a while back then, and I kept coming back. Lot of variety in level styles, good and unique puzzles, some humour, a good difficulty curve topping out at really hard, basically everything you could wish for.

I'd say geoopk1. Probably not to everyone's taste, since the levels are quite technical and not so great-looking, but it's a properly hard set and very satisfying to solve.
I'm surprised you like it, looking back upon it it seems pretty flawed to me. There are a few nice levels in there, but most are pretty technical and/or rely solely on glitches.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »
Don't remember how organized in levelpaks they are, but I like almost any of Proxima's levels, especially the ones from Cheapo (I'm sure the recent Lix ones are excellent as well, I just haven't had a chance to look at them recently).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:22:11 PM »
Wow, thanks  :thumbsup: If you want to nominate a specific pack, I'd go with "Michael Preview". Some time in 2005 I decided to start from scratch -- I now had styles containing the original graphics, and had learned a lot about level designing since I first started, so I went back and remade my levels in the new styles, mostly starting with the better ones. What with real-life pressures and Cheapo's decline in popularity, I never did get further than the twenty-five levels contained in the Preview -- thirteen of which are among the levels I've so far remade in Lix.

One set I'm rather fond of is "sg1" by Ben Bryant, also a Cheapo set. It contains thirty levels with a steady difficulty curve, some good puzzles, and aesthetically pleasing layouts.