Author Topic: My Cheapo styles and levels  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
My Cheapo styles and levels
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
It's been a while :) So, here's the new topic for my Cheapo styles and levels.

Firstly, I've made a new version of all the styles with a different selection of music. You may remember that the old styles had Lemmings 3 and Lemmings 3D music, and as a result there had to be two copies of each style to fit all the music in, since Cheapo limits you to 40 tracks per style. I've decided that I don't like the Lemmings 3 and Lemmings 3D music enough to use it in my own levels, so I've gone back to one of each style, containing all the music that I actually want.

Tracks 1-17 are the normal Lemmings music, in order. Tracks 18, 19 and 21 are the music from the special graphics levels (ccexplore never got round to doing "What an awesome level"). Tracks 22-27 are the ONML music. Tracks 28-30 are alternative arrangements of three of the Lemmings tracks. (I have quite a few of these alternative arrangements, mostly made by Adam; for these styles I selected the ones I found most interesting.) Then the last ten tracks are bonus tracks that are not from Lemmings.

I still have all the Lemmings 3 and Lemmings 3D music tracks, so if anyone particularly wants to make levels with these tracks, I can make duplicates of the styles that include them. Let me know if you would like these.

Getting the styles working has taken up most of today, so for now I've only included one new level for you to backroute away :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: My Cheapo styles and levels
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
The styles take up a lot of room so I'm having to put them in separate posts.

Next three styles.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
Last three styles and the level I mentioned.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:22:41 AM »
Tracks 18, 19 and 21 are the music from the special graphics levels (ccexplore never got round to doing "What an awesome level").

Good reminder.  Obviously not until at least after I'm back from my cruise, but I should try to finish that soon.

One of the reason I kept delaying it was becauase I really like the overdriven-guitar/bass sounds in the Amiga version and was desperately trying to find a way to replicate a similar sound in MIDI.  I think that was a mistake, and if I'm finishing it now, I'd probably based it on something more MIDI-friendly (but less awesome IMO) like the SNES version.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:10:07 PM »
so for now I've only included one new level for you to backroute away :)

Nice level.  I was going to email you my solution so you can check whether it's a backroute or not, except I realize I don't have your email, and PMs here don't allow attachments.  If you prefer I can just attach the screenshot here instead.  The solution saves 19/20 with 9 climbers and 3 blockers left over (and 38 seconds on the clock).

[edit: now improved to 20/20 without using any climbers nor blockers, about 3-4 seconds left on the clock]

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
That sounds like a backroute to me :P or in this case a front route since the intended solution is to take the backroute, if that makes any sense.

My e-mail is the same as it was all those years ago last time you sent me your backroutes EDIT: removed e-mail address
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:21:55 AM by Proxima »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 02:24:32 AM »
I'll like to take the opportunity again to tell everyone that if they don't at least play with Cheapo once in a while, they will end up denying themselves of good levels in the future.  My understanding is that anyone who manages to get Lemmix running on the computer can probably get Cheapo running on the computer as well (basically just about any Windows PC will do).  If anyone has given up on Cheapo due to technical issues (as opposed to say, lack of new levels or new styles or what-not), or needs help finding the files and setting things up, just let me know.

8)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:58:04 AM »
Cheapo is kind of slow though on some PCs, and the lack of save-state (and bugginess of the replays) can be a pain on hard-to-execute or long levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:07:49 PM »
Keep in mind that Custom Lemmings never had savestates, and that hasn't stopped anyone from making and playing lots of custom levels. ;)