Author Topic: Name these two skills/activities  (Read 7036 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Name these two skills/activities
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »
Hi there,

I'm programming a lemmings variant as a hobby using C++ and the Allegro graphics/game library. I'm not attempting to make an exact replica of the original mechanics, we already have Lemmix for that and I haven't bothered yet with reading the DOS level format. I redrew a lot of the skills as well. ;-)

Recently, I've inlcuded the Jumper skill from Lemmings 2. After that one, I've come across two other L2 activities that don't seem to have a name. I've attached pictures of each. Does anyone know how they're ususally called, or does anyone simply have a nice idea?

-- Simon

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: Name these two skills/activities
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »
First one would be a "Faller", but an alternate one. Maybe a "Flyer"?

Second one, a "Stunner" or "Dazer".
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

doogle

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »
If I recall correctly, aren't there some icy bits in Lemmings 2 which make your Lemming fall over?
That first image looks like one of those so it could be a faller or slipper/tripper maybe?

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:45:35 AM »
Thanks for the ideas! I really couldn't come up with anything short, and the Stunner is my instant favorite.

The frames for the flyer/slipper were captured from the flying lemming. And yes, it might actually be the same as the ice slipper... I've just checked. The slipper's animation (attachment) is bit different.

L2 has always seemed a bit experimental, a lot of its ideas have never appeared in the later games again. Some should have, think of the Laser Blaster. :-)

-- Simon

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:56:01 PM »
I'd say the first one is the sprite they have when they're shot from a cannon or suchlike.

The second's when they hit the ground and don't quite die, but are knocked out for a few seconds.

Neither are named skills.

doogle

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:33:42 PM »
I just had a look at some Lemmings 2 levels and that floaty looking one is used in the space levels when the Lemmings float :)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 05:59:28 PM »
First one is a lemming that's falling but not straight down. Example : a runner that jumps from a gap and falls, a lemming that is shot from a cannon or is propelled from a bomber explosion.

Second one is a lemming that is knocked down by hitting the ground from very high (but not too high) or by an explosion, a cannon. Generally, it comes right after the first animation above.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
Hi there again,

I thought I'd share an impression of a recent testing session (Link)!

I have a rough networking mode going, and it even supports more than two players. The windows in the following screenshot are all in different positions because they freeze the game whenever they're not active. Skill order in the panel is wrong in this level, but it's just for testing free button configuration.

At the time, I'm working out the source of some evil desyncs. If I get things going well enough someday, I'll let you know. Unless it's a bit more bug-free, testing with folks over the internet can wait. ;-)

-- Simon

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »
oooo... I hope you're making it cross-platform... it looks fun :)
*drools a bit*

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 10:44:01 PM »
Very nice! 8)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »
Yep, L++ is written with Allegro, which is cross-platform. I got it to compile on my account in the math department and tested it with a bunch of friends in the Linux-only computer pool. :-D

Unfortunately, I have to study for some exams this month. If I have the time in August, I'm going to finish some yet half-done things and build a small webpage with downloads.

-- Simon