Author Topic: Level pack topic  (Read 193795 times)

Conway

Re: Level pack topic
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2005, 12:56:46 AM »
So, anyone passed Conway13.dat yet? Whaddya think? :P If anyone can pass level 8 'Can't find any Gaps', please let me know how.

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2005, 01:08:41 AM »
I haven't looked at LemEdit levels lately.  You have tested that your level is solvable right?

I have to admit having played Cheapo for a while, I'm now surprisingly unwilling to go back to Custlemm anymore (I NEED REPLAY!  ;)).  But I'll definitely make an effort to do so at some point.  Actually, I guess I still have the "Four Door Hatchback" thing to solve.

[And I can also tell you that having tried a manual conversion of a LemEdit level to Cheapo, it'll never be an easy, let alone automatic,  process.  For starters the max safe fall distance is already different, and Cheapo has a 200-pixel minimum level height that is 40 pixels higher than CustLemm's 160.  Grrrrr......]

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2005, 01:59:04 AM »
"Four Door Hatchback" is now level 9 in that set, so you can play it there. And... I don't know, half the time I don't use the replay in Cheapo because of the bugs... I think I'd miss fast-forward more. And the max safe fall distance, although different pixel by pixel, should be similar visually, because of the difference in level heights between LemEdit and Cheapo. I can imagine conversions being a huge pain though.

I don't think replay would be a huge help for "Can't Find Any Gaps" anyway, you only get one minute to do it... I have ideas for the solution, but haven't been able to get anything to work  >:(

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2005, 04:01:34 AM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1089136533/60#60 date=1106701006
If anyone can pass level 8 'Can't find any Gaps', please let me know how.

Yes I've just solved that one.  In fact I was left wishing for something more complicated.  I guess I should e-mail you my solution.

[And I stand corrected.  As I'm playing the level, it dawns on me that replay is not really what makes Cheapo great; rather, it is CustLemm's awful responsiveness to your mouse clicks that greatly turned me off, when compared with Cheapo's handling.  I mean, even basic things like the ability in Cheapo to assign skills when paused is amazingly indispensible once you go back to CustLemm and realize what a difference it makes.]

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2005, 04:21:17 AM »
Yes, and we shouldn't forget the ability to choose facing direction of lemmings, and the ability to give climber/floater abilities to lemmings when the cursor already contains climbers/floaters. At least CustLemm has that "classic" feel :P

I too just solved "Can't Find Any Gaps". I wonder if we have the same solution... If so, I have a feeling it suffered from the removing backroutes -> more obvious solution syndrome; the time limit is quite restrictive. If not, then one of them at least is a backroute, maybe both...

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2005, 04:15:56 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1089136533/60#64 date=1106713277
Yes, and we shouldn't forget the ability to choose facing direction of lemmings, and the ability to give climber/floater abilities to lemmings when the cursor already contains climbers/floaters. At least CustLemm has that "classic" feel :P

I'm not sure what that really means, "classic" feel.  Other than the graphics and music maybe.

The enhanced input capabilities you described above are niceties, but I can live without them.  What I hate to live with is the fact that you thought you click on the damn lemming but it doesn't do anything.  In fact clicking repeatedly only seems to make things worse, unlike Cheapo.  Maybe it's my computer, but it seems like I generally have to anticipate, click a little before I want something to happen, and hold down the damn mouse button for a slight bit, before the game finally registers I want so and so to do this and that.

This lack of responsiveness just gets painful after a while.  Indeed, I think if I played "Can't Find Any Gaps" in Cheapo instead of CustLemm, I could've spent maybe half the time it took in CustLemm to pass it.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2005, 05:03:10 PM »
I thought CustLemm doesn't have music? I meant the graphics mostly though. As for the mouse... I don't know, I can't say I've had many problems with it. Indeed it is very tricky to time a click after an unpause, I will admit that.

Conway

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2005, 05:51:21 PM »
Guest and Shvegait, both your solutions are backroutes! Thanks for finding them. I'll have to correct it and update it later.

And I'm really dreading converting that level to cheapo, simply for getting it to play exactly the same. I'll try it though. But please don't give up on Custlemm/Lemmedit just yet! Although I agree Cheapo is much better.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2005, 06:28:27 PM »
I like working in LemEdit, because it's easy to make pieces and move them around to come up with stuff, while in Cheapo it seems that it's much better to have level designs pretty well planned out before you start (but of course the Cheapo editor is much more flexible). There are still a couple of inconsistencies between Cheapo and Lemmings/CustLemm that I prefer CustLemm for, like the one pixel slope issue, where if there is a one-pixel hole to one side of the lemming, they fall in CustLemm, but in Cheapo they walk up (maybe I'm not explaining it well, but the chain piece of the Brick style should make it clear what I'm talking about.) And of course I don't think it would be possible to convert level 8 of my 01 pack. Also.. in CustLemm, diggers can dig with one pixel on the very edge present, but they require two in Cheapo (although it's probably better this way!) Just different physics/mechanics type stuff. But of course Cheapo is much better at handling pretty much everything and is less limited... I like playing them both for their differences. Maybe I'll convert my LemEdit levels to Cheapo... if it would get people to play them  X_X

Conway

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2005, 06:52:21 PM »
I keep meaning to sit down and give my all to your second levelpack, Shvegait, as the levels seem somewhat easier. But a lot in your other packs are too easy to just give up on.

Anyway, I've just fixed the backroutes from 'Can't find any Gaps'. Download level or levelpack or all levels and levelpacks.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2005, 12:28:15 PM »
I just realized that I had a pack completed and I forgot to repost it here. &#A0;Recently, some unknown, mysteriuos force has forced me to take the editor's chair again and create some wonderful new levels. &#A0;Being a level designer can really test your patience if you come up with one hard level.

Well, here is pack 1 Pack 1-Meet the Lemmings

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »
Quote from: Insane_Steve  link=1089136533/15#16 date=1089746819
Oh yes, level 3 requires the graphics file from "A Beast of a Level" (Fun 22) to work. I think it is Vgaspec3 (Thanks Ice Eagle!). Actually, you should copy all the spec files into your LemEdit folder if you have them...

I can't open that level (fun 22) even with the spec file!  Help!

Conway

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2005, 12:52:57 AM »
I wasn't aware that these levels could be opened in LemEdit. Are people now saying that they can?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2005, 10:23:23 AM »
I don't know.  That's exactly what I'm asking.  I think awhile back though, there was a topic about how people could change the colors of a special graphics level.  Maybe that's all it was.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2005, 04:18:58 PM »
Well, my level pack is now complete...but, note, that my packs contain 8 levels.  Someday, I shall convert them into the proper ten level format.  Oh, and another notice-I am currently unable to upload my level packs due to circumstances beyond my control.  I wouldn't upload it anyhow because I have not yet completed the commentary file, and due to my attention to quality, I will always have one included in my level packs.

I am currently working on a third pack.

Oh, and my levels in the second pack are

-Lemming Tool & Die Co.
-Lemmings vs. The Steel Industry
-But it's down there!
-The Lon Lon
-It was April, 1954, when...
-Transmission Interuption Lemming
-The Icey Collision
-THE ULTIMATE MINER