Author Topic: Fake objects in Custlemm  (Read 11187 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fake objects in Custlemm
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 06:51:44 PM »
I think adding the demo information to the end of the file (either the dat file and referring to the level number or the extracted level) should be no problem. The other option is to save the demo into a separate file referring to a level pack and number respectively a single level, as the Supaplex demo#.bin does (it uses the level number).
Creating a demo format wouldn't be the problem either, see for example Cheapo (although the function is buggy and you cannot save the recording).

But I doubt that anyone would be going to take the time to implement the demo function into CustLemm, although it would be useful; that's the main problem I think. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 03:16:46 AM »
The future of Lemmings is definately in Cheapo (or it's successors), it's just a matter of time before Custlemm is basically unuseable due to newer Windows and stuff. So if someone could hack that (or maybe just ask Peter Spada for the source code) and add saveable replays, that'd work well.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 04:20:14 AM »
Quote from: Sunrise link=1132583705/15#16 date=1139368606
The future of Lemmings is definately in Cheapo (or it's successors), it's just a matter of time before Custlemm is basically unuseable due to newer Windows and stuff. So if someone could hack that (or maybe just ask Peter Spada for the source code) and add saveable replays, that'd work well.
I'll agree with you if, and only if, Peter Spada's Dimwits game has non-bitmap levels (but intead use a format like the Lemmings LVL format) and Dimwits' game engine is very close to the original Lemmings engine.  That way most of the levelpacks that are already created for CustLemm could easily be ported, and no one would ever NEED to look back.

As for CustLemm dying, it will live as long as DOSBox lives and people want to use it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 04:29:40 AM »
I wonder what happened to 0xdeadbeef? &#A0;The Java Lemmings project he was working on would have great potential to become a Cheapo replacement that support more CustLemm-like behavior.

It's true that we've since gained enough knowledge to potentially allow some customization of CustLemm, but it'll take too much programming work, and ultimately there are many DOS-related limits you'll run into.

It's actually kind of depressing though how people here feels about Cheapo. &#A0;There are definitely many great Cheapo levels out there. &#A0;I also don't necessary think CustLemm's game mechanics is always the best answer either. &#A0;Which is why it'd be interesting to see how the voting would go when the time comes to decide the glitch-fixing status of Lemmings remake, but that's for another thread. ;).

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 05:12:58 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1132583705/15#18 date=1139372980
I wonder what happened to 0xdeadbeef?  The Java Lemmings project he was working on would have great potential to become a Cheapo replacement that support more CustLemm-like behavior.
:-X

;D

(Take this post to mean whatever you'd like it to.)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 05:19:30 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1132583705/15#18 date=1139372980
It's true that we've since gained enough knowledge to potentially allow some customization of CustLemm, but it'll take too much programming work, and ultimately there are many DOS-related limits you'll run into.
I've always hoped for a good open-source Lemmings clone... but none has been satisfactory.  If we could get together a number of interested devs, I think we could end up with a very nice clone, since nearly all the Lemmings file formats are known, and with all the glitches you've discovered, I assume you know quite a bit about the game engine.  Unfortunatly, this is still a dream.  :-/

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 06:37:19 PM »
 8-)

MC Marshy

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 12:21:55 PM »
One of the problems I get when making levels is that I keep ending up with fake traps and fake objects in the levels. It's always the exits where you need 1 builder to place in the middle so you can get to the exit. I've played so many levels with misplaced exits they are really annoying.