Author Topic: [NO-CHANGE] [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER] Bombers and one-way walls  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
[NO-CHANGE] [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER] Bombers and one-way walls
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
When a bomber bombs a one-way wall in the opposite direction, the wall explodes anyway (e.g. if a lemming bombs a one-way right wall from the left side, the wall explodes).

I don't see the logic behind this. If one cannot bash/mine in the opposite direction, then how come bombing can?

However, if this does get changed so bombers cannot bomb in the opposite direction, I can see this can potentially break a lot of levels. If this doesn't get changed in the end, I won't mind. I just wanted to see what other people think. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:29:35 PM by Nepster »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER] Bombers and one-way walls
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
Assume you bomb a lemming that is in the middle of a OWW. With your logic, only one half of the bomber mask would be applied. This would look very weird...

The grand rule behind all the OWWs (right, left and down) is: If a skill removes some terrain in the direction that the arrows are facing, then the skill works.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »
As I read this, I could nearly copy my statement from the last thread ;):

Nothing really would be gained at a cost of quite a lot of levels!

Just today i saw quite a few levels on my daily Flopsy/namida YT dose with this behavior.

Also as Nepster said applying just half of the bomber mask is A LOT more weirder! Let's not make the one-ways even more complicated than now ;)

+ as a big defender of already existing content:
My vote here also goes 100% to the status-quo :8():

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:33:10 PM »
One way walls are never going to be as intuitive as something like steel since they don't really exist in the real world (or at the very least, it is very uncommon).  The bomber idea (and the associated force-based reasoning) actually was once brought up previously in some other context but wasn't anything seriously considered.  There are levels in Lemmings and ONML that explicitly require digging or bombing away a one-way wall as part of the intended solution, so it seems clear that the origin intention was to only affect bashers and miners.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »
I actually raised this question during a very early phase of NeoLemmix's development (before it even had version numbers, I think). It was decided then that any change to bomber-OWW interaction was a bad idea; I'd be very surprised if thoughts had changed now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)