Author Topic: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #11  (Read 5014 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings Forums Level Contest #11
« on: August 01, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »
Time for another contest, and once again we have the "pick up to two of three rules" format!

For those of you who are new to the contests (and if you haven't entered before, I strongly encourage you to try - even if you don't win, it's fun to participate; and we have had cases where first-time entrants have won before!) or haven't participated in a while; there are three choices of rules given, you may enter one level each for up to two of the rules. You may use Lemmix, Lemmini, NeoLemmix, SuperLemmini or single-player Lix.

Note that there have been some changes in the general rules since the last contest, specifically relating to which versions of engines should be used:
Lix - From this contest onwards, the D version should be used. This is to reflect that this is now considered the primary version of Lix for single-player. (Previously, the rules explicitly stated the C++ version should be used.)
NeoLemmix - From this contest onwards, it is explicitly stated that levels should be made with the latest stable version (ie: V1.43n-F) in mind. Of course it's great if they work on the experimental version too (it is not required that they do, though), but if the level is ONLY compatible with / possible on the experimental version, it does not meet the criteria for entering into the contest. (Previously, the rules did not specify any particular version of NeoLemmix.)

There's also been some changes to the submission deadline rules:
- The initial submission deadline no longer extends if there are already at least 6 entries. (The update phase still extends as normal.)
- New levels may now be submitted during the update phase. (There is no penalty for doing this, aside from that people will have less time to play your level than if it was there from the start.)

These new rules are somewhat experimental, and depending on how they work, I might keep them or change them again.

So, without further ado, here are the rules! These were chosen by BulletRide as his prize for winning the previous contest, so if you need clarification on a rule, you'll need to wait for his answer.
All three rules are engine-independant this time.

Rule 1
Create a level that has:
- Exactly two lemmings / lixes, both of which must be saved
- At least one of the following skills in the skillset: Climber, Floater, (NeoLemmix) Swimmer, Glider, Disarmer, (Lix) Runner
- No more than one use each of the skills listed in the previous point, even if it's via pickup skills or being pre-assigned
- No Cloners

Rule 2
Create a level where all skills that are provided have exactly 1 use. There is no requirement as to how many different skills, or which skills, you provide.
Pickup skills and pre-assigned skills are not allowed for this rule.

Rule 3
Create a level with no constructive skills (ie: Builder, (NeoLemmix / Lix) Platformer, (NeoLemmix) Stoner, Stacker, (Lix) Cuber).

The deadline for submissions is August 23rd at 00:00 (UTC).

The prize selection is the usual.
- US $5.00
- One month's advertising on the forum's news ticker
- Your choice for the next contest's rules

Instead of offering a prize for 2nd place as I sometimes do, I'd like to offer a different special prize to encourage the Lix community's participation: The highest-placed Lix level (excluding 1st place, if a Lix level gets that) will also get to choose a prize provided that it qualified at least as far as the semifinals, subject to the same conditions that usually apply to a 2nd-place prize (ie: they can't choose the same prize as the 1st place winner).
EDIT: To clarify, if a Lix level does come 1st overall, then this special prize is still available to whichever the next best Lix level is (provided they at least reach the semifinal).

Current entries: 11
BulletRide (1)
Colorful Arty (2)
Crane (2)
geoo (2)
Gronkling (2)
IchoTolot (2)
Nepster (1)
Simon (1)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:55:08 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Forums Level Contest #11
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »
Pick up skills and pre-assigned skills are fine for rule 1. However, you still cannot have more than one of the permanent skills in the game (eg if you have a climber in your skill set then you cannot have a climber pickup skill as well). No cloners.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
Okay, I updated the first post with that.

In the interest of drawing more good Lix submissions, I also put a special offer for the highest-placing Lix level in the prizes. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 12:14:06 AM »
In an attempt to show off, I have provided a level that, I think, covers all three rules!  Here is my submission, "Heaven and Earth".  A pretty simple level in the grand scheme of things, I think, but a classic Mayhem time-crunch, and also the first level I've built that uses tools outside of the basic eight.

P.S. It's good to be back!

EDIT: Attachment removed. Please submit via PM.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:17:11 AM by namida »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 12:17:20 AM »
Please submit your levels via PM, not in the topic.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 12:53:24 AM »
Sorry. It's been too long since I've done this.

Sorry, I misunderstood the rules of this contest. I thought that I would have to make a level that fulfilled two of the three given rules.  Namida has clarified this with me, so my submission, "Heaven and Earth" is now submitted under rule 2.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:19:28 AM by Crane »

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 12:39:34 AM »
I am SO pumped for this!

I just finished making a level today, and am jotting down ideas for a second. I'm also making a custom music set for when I play the levels on Youtube. Can't wait to see what turns up! :thumbsup:
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 03:15:05 AM »
We've reached more than 6 entries now, so the initial submission deadline will not extend. However, if you do miss the deadline, keep in mind that you're now allowed to submit levels during the update phase, so no need to panic. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 07:39:20 AM »
Just a reminder - if you're submitting updates to your levels, please make sure to state in the PM which rule the level is, if the filename doesn't indicate it in any way. This is because I save the levels with just the author and which rule it's entered under.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »
Just a reminder that the initial creation phase ends in about 12 hours. However, you are also welcome to submit new levels during the update phase - but do keep in mind that this means people have less time to play your level before the voting opens.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 03:21:57 AM »
The initial submission phase is now closed.

You can still make submissions until the update phase ends. If you were planning to make a submission but haven't yet, please hold off until I've created the updates topic, then post it there.
My Lemmings projects