Author Topic: Warning dialog for interrupting replays?  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Warning dialog for interrupting replays?
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:55:02 PM »
If one views a replay, but then accidentally presses a button on the keyboard or mouse that is not related to backwards/forwards frame skipping or fast-forwarding, the replay stops. This can be problematic for large levels where if a person has made 80% of the way through the level without saving a replay, then presses 'R' and the level replays to fix a mistake, but then accidentally interrupts the replay, all their hard work would be erased.

Can there be a configuration option so that if one presses a button that doesn't involve frame skipping, there will be a warning dialog asking the player if they want to stop the replay?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Warning dialog for interrupting replays?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:57:34 PM »
I would think that more often than not, the person does want to interrupt the replay, meaning the dialog box would get very annoying. Some kind of solution to this problem could be a good idea, but I don't think a popup box asking to confirm the interruption is the correct one...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »
A non-obvious solution is to make framestepping more performant.

People will be more happy to use framestepping then, approaching the mistake from the future, instead of restarting, approaching the mistake from the past. This designs the original problem out of existence.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:50:52 AM »
That's a lot of effort, but also something I'd like to do eventually. Hence, this probably needs some kind of interim solution... I'm just not entirely sure what that might be.

Hm... one possible option... have a specific "cancel replay" hotkey. Until you hit it, anything that would interfere with the replay is ignored. DynaLem, how does this option sound to you? (This would of course be an option; the default behaviour would remain how it currently is.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 03:05:37 PM »
I like the specific cancel replay button idea; that works very well for me.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!