Author Topic: geoo visiting Simon 2014  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
geoo visiting Simon 2014
« on: May 11, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

as most of you know, geoo has been visiting me for a couple days.

geoo: There you are! Great to hear your voice again!
Simon: And you still have your majestic beard.
geoo: Of course.
Simon: Didn't you read Prob Lem's post? People want to click on cute rodents, not on grunting hairy people (Cavemen).

While talking about the mafia games:

geoo: Everybody suspected you to be the rogue! möbius and Ramon both mined you in the first game, and they were right, and cc immediately scooped you in the second game, and he was also right!

The first disaster was me setting the IRC topic title to "geoo is here, lots of peanuts and wurst". This prompted everyone to guess wurst for the ingredient in the family feud. There was no wurst in the dish, but we had peanuts earlier!

geoo took a couple pictures of the dishes, I suppose he'll post them in a while.

Simon: The save button in the Lix editor doesn't give any feedback. We need a sound.
geoo: We need the sound of a floppy drive. Or a printer pulling in paper. But a writing floppy drive is best!
Simon: Then it sounds like [youtube link] What is Love on 8 floppy drives.
geoo proceeded to loop this 50 times each day. These instruments fit the song very well, and the bass is profound.

<NaOH> what is grub?
<NaOH> don't boot me, no more.
<NaOH> this is getting old...
<SimonN> with op powers, it's possible to kick instead of boot

Matt has drawn [image] a new hatch for his beach set.

This is better than the current sandcastle hatch. Pepole have been confusing the hatch and the exit, and this floats in the air, unlike the castle. It has prompted a new little feature even: Each hatch can specify the frame in which the hatch-opening sound plays. This hatch has it very late, so it begins its animation much earlier after starting a level.

geoo has drawn some dark steel to go with the Lix shadow set.

He's also made some bright red socks on a clothes line. They go in the shadow set, too, he considers them to fit the dark theme very well. :-]

Within 5 days, geoo and me have drunk over 1.5 crates of Club-Mate, a caffeinated beverage popular with computer people. Like Guile's theme, it goes with everything: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, or by itself.

I've fixed about 10 bugs in Lix, a nice success.

Simon: Let's do bugs.
geoo: Fix some, or program some fresh ones?

The new version should be released when geoo and me have sorted out what new terrain to include. There will be physics changes, so people will have to update to play networked games. :-)

One of the bugfixes was suggested by NaOH: The editor mouse dragging should only snap one element to the grid, all others should be moved with respect to the particular one, not snapping to grid individually. After implementing the better method meticulously, I've wanted to boast in the channel. While writing, this appeared:

May 09 22:48:34 <NaOH> I'll be back
May 09 22:48:40 * NaOH has quit (Signed off)

Since I didn't get to brag by such a close miss:

May 09 22:48:54 <SimonN> PENNER

This is German for bum/homeless person, with a medium derogative connotation.

May 09 22:49:17 <Ramond> ?
May 09 22:49:57 <geoo> long story
May 09 22:50:18 <Ramond> oh are you guys together again for the week :p
May 09 22:50:36 <geoo> yeah. though it's not related to me this time actually :P

We speedran through Lemmings 2 Highland, and geoo got screwed a couple times by L2's horrible assignment code: You often can't assign close to stunners or workers, and if you can, it rarely targets the worker.

geoo: AAAAAAH! This assignment! Why don't the penners do that?

I beat the tribe with all gold medals while geoo was still stuck around level 7 or 8. I tried to do the entire Sports tribe in the meantime, but due to AAAARGH the HORRIBLE ASSIGNMENT in Sports 1 to save 58 for gold, I just got to Sports level 3 in that time.

That's all, more will come when I remember it. :-)

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: geoo visiting Simon 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
Here's the picture of the dish we made in honour of our Finnish forum members Akseli and Raymanni, curry-leek noodles, as spinning leek seems to be a Finnish tradition to our knowledge.

The steel Simon posted was originally intended for the silhouette style which just consists of steel and black terrain pieces to be used against a gradient background. As gradient background are probably not going to happen soon, I just included the steel now.

As for the L2 Highland race, props to Simon! I think my biggest downfall was not realizing that Brigadoom has two hatches, and thus wondering why the level didn't end after saving everyone.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 11:22:48 PM »
It all makes sense now. The What Is Love. The PENNER.

Aaaand is that a frog I see, geoo? 8:()[

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:02:30 AM »
I am laughing so hard at the fact that anyone noticed my remark about the cavemen. :thumbsup:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »
I've lost track of people's travels, did the visit take place in US (or was it Canada?) or Germany this time?

I was expecting a more yellowish color in the noodle dish with the alleged use of curry; it looks nearly identical to the noodle dish in the pics you shared from one of the past visits. :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »
This was in Germany; geoo has returned from America for a couple months, only to go to Ghana later.

We didn't curry the dish while cooking, instead we put all the spices on the table. He doesn't like pepper and I wanted that in.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
I've lost track of people's travels, did the visit take place in US (or was it Canada?) or Germany this time?

I was expecting a more yellowish color in the noodle dish with the alleged use of curry; it looks nearly identical to the noodle dish in the pics you shared from one of the past visits. :-\
Simon never leaves his town, so I have to come and visit him. I was in Canada previously, and I still have to decide whether to go back there next year...

And we don't use artificial colourants. :P We just added some curry to the noodles, and some more after it was served as Simon said.

[...]
Aaaand is that a frog I see, geoo? 8:()[
Yes! 8:()[

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
Simon never leaves his town, so I have to come and visit him.

I thought the next meeting would be in British Columbia? :]

-- Simon

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 11:25:18 PM »
Here's the picture of the dish we made in honour of our Finnish forum members Akseli and Raymanni, curry-leek noodles, as spinning leek seems to be a Finnish tradition to our knowledge.

Ahahah really nice. :P Yes, the song is definitely originally a Finnish one but I have no idea who created that certain meme in the first place.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 09:30:48 PM »

-- Simon

Yea.  This ^

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:31:17 AM »

-- Simon

Yea.  This ^

With RubiX working at Manning and me starting at UBC next year, probably not gonna happen until summer 2015 at the earliest.

Are there any other users in BC/would be willing to come to BC? :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 04:31:33 AM »
Quote from: NaOH
Are there any other users in BC/would be willing to come to BC?

ccexplore, we sherlocked out that you dwell close enough to British Columbia, so you have to join in!

--  Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
Quote from: NaOH
Are there any other users in BC/would be willing to come to BC?

ccexplore, we sherlocked out that you dwell close enough to British Columbia, so you have to join in!

--  Simon

Just wondering if you noticed, you got the 1337th post in General Discussion. Grats!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)