Lemmings Boards > Reviews

Level Review Topic

(1/73) > >>

Adam:
I seem to remember a level review topic on the one of the old forums. It worked in the same way that the Levelpack Topics work, but using the original levels in all games. Even if it didn't exist, I think it'd be nice to see what people liked / loathed in the original version. It'd help level designers create levels suited to other peoples' taste and not just their own.

Obviously, levels work differently on different versions, so there might be a bit of debate over some points! I'm sure we can review significantly different levels, and console exclusive levels at a later date. I'm going to start by reviewing the DOS version!

To help you all review, I have uploaded all of the level images. The images are all located in this folder, I will create a nice gallery for them soon, but not today! (I've been informed that these are AMIGA screenshots.. they look pretty much the same, and were in a folder called DOS on my PC, so that's an error on my part. I'll change them in due course, but you won't need to modify your posts when I do!

Here is the link for the Genesis images.

RULES:

1. Only one level can be reviewed at any one time. We'll work in order from Fun through to Mayhem on the DOS version firstly, then move onto other consoles.

2. You cannot review two in a row, even across difficulties and consoles.

Reviews should be formatted like this:

--- Quote from: example review ---Console Name - Level Number - TITLE

PICTURE

Number of Lemmings
Number of Lemmings Required (% and total)
Release Rate
Time
Skills

Good - The stuff that made the level good.

Bad -  The stuff which makes you want to scream!

--- End quote ---

I think that's about it, so let's get reviewing!

Adam:
I'll set the ball rolling... I'm going to start with Fun 08 and work from there, because the first seven levels are training levels!

DOS - Fun 08 - Not as complicated as it looks.

Number of Lemmings: 80
Number of Lemmings Required: 95% (76 lemmings)
Release Rate: 88
Time: 5 minutes

Skills
Climber: 20
Floater: 20
Bomber: 20
Blocker: 20
Builder: 20
Basher: 20
Miner: 20
Digger 20

Good: Easy to solve with just one blocker, but it's possible to save 100% in several different ways!

Bad: More time seems to have been spent designing the architecture than was spent designing the level!

Dullstar:
Shoot.  Now I have to start my review over.

DOS - Fun 09 - As Long as you Try Your Best

Skills:  20 of everything

Good:  At least it's harder than the basher tutorial level.
Bad:  Where's my challenge?  All you have to do is bash through the wall by constantly clicking on lemmings so none of them turn around!  Or you could use a blocker if you hate lemmings...

By the way, these screenshots are from the amiga version, not the dos version.

Adam:
DOS - Fun 10 - Smile if you love Lemmings!

Number of Lemmings: 20
Number of Lemmings Required: 50% (20 lemmings)
Release Rate: 50
Time: 5 minutes

Skills
Climber: 20
Floater: 20
Bomber: 20
Blocker: 20
Builder: 20
Basher: 20
Miner: 20
Digger 20

Good: There are a few ways to get down to the exit, including my favourite way - digging over the exit!
Bad: It's another yellow level where the decoration looks better than the level!

Dullstar:
DOS - Fun 11 - Keep Your Hair on Mr. Lemming

Lemmings: 60
To save: Oh crud, forgot to check.  .  I know you can lose at least one...
Good:  Several ways to go about finding a solution, which is pretty nice.
Bad:  Several unintended backroutes, you can tell that this level was somewhat poorly planned.  There don't appear to be any random decorative tiles, and those always make a level look better.  WAY too easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version