Author Topic: Comparing ports of Lemmings  (Read 8892 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Comparing ports of Lemmings
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »
Hi everyone! Nice to see this forum's still going. I was just wondering if people could provide me with a comparison-thing of different ports of Lemmings? There's one on Wikipedia, but it's not the one I remember, which included other things like maximum number of lemmings per level and the like. If anyone has access to the second one I'd appreciate it. cheers. :-)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: Comparing ports of Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:02:09 AM »
- Amiga and Atari ST : Levels are the same and are the original ones.
- PC : Levels are similar to those above but with a less maximum number of lemmings (80 instead of 100) and lots of differences in levels (missing objects, different skills... however, a corrected version has been made to looks like the Amiga one)
- Macintosh : Same thing, but with a different Tricky 21 level : "Going their separate ways" instead of "All the 6's ......."
- SNES : Same thing again, but with another different Tricky 21 level : "Ohayo Lemming San!" instead of "All the 6's .......". Also, there's a fifth rating "Sunsoft" which contains 5 new very hard levels.
- Sega Genesis : 41 levels that are replacing some of the original levels and 2 new ratings which contain 60 brand new levels.
- As for other versions, I don't really know... and I hope I didn't forget anything
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:41:51 AM »

-In Master System cartridge (ah, the one I own since 1994...  :laugh:), along the 120 levels it has, the maximum number of Lemmings to save is 20. This makes the "We All Fall Down" levels a child game: you start saving five in Fun, 10 in Tricky and finally 20 in Mayhem. There are 10 exclusive levels for this port, called "Sega One" to "Sega Five"; they are repeated two times, and they replace some classical levels, like "We Are Now At LEMCOM ONE", "Nightmare On Lem Street", its sequel "The Great Lemming Caper", and "Save Me!", among others. In Fun 22 you have a hell level called "Go For It", and in Tricky 21 you have "Sixes Not!", similar to "All The Sixes", but with hell bricks instead of irregular ground. "Menacing!" is a hell level, and "What An Awesome Level" has the cake/pink/futuristic set. In Mayhem 22 you have a Crystal level called "Nearly There". By the way, the "Just A Minute" levels in Mayhem are far too silly! You have 2 minutes in each one, and is IMPOSSIBLE not to solve them!. Some levels have changed names, and... this is all that I remember.

Oh, wait! Ji Hoon gave me all the differences some time ago in a post... Read this:

http://lemmings.isamedia.org/index.php?topic=243.0

And for maps in Low & Hi resolution:

http://www.smspower.org/maxim/maps/lemmings.html

In general terms, the Master System levels are more easier than the Amiga/PC/SNES/Genesis ports of the game. It's a pity. But the graphics are incredible for a 8-bit machine! I think they are even better! And the End Of The Game is very funny, hehe! The Best ending sequence in all the Lemmings History!  :laugh:

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
I've just noticed they've deleted the "References in Lemmings level titles" page on WP too. They suck. Anyone have that saved (or a similar one)?

Basherlemming

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:51:01 PM »
On the sega game gear version,which I have now,it has mostly levels from the original but some are themed around sega,and these levels have a bathroom theme.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 02:30:18 AM »
The Master System version (which we were just discussing) and the Game Gear version are identical in terms of levels.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »
Totally reviving an old thread, but...

NES: The levels are much harder due to the mechanics of the game. Some will say they did the best they could, but look at how good the Sega Master System version is. Anyway, the levels are squeezed into a smaller space (look at Use Bashers This Time, it's tiny). Lemmings build much steeper ladders, but that's OK because the levels are smaller. When Lemmings bash, whole blocks of terrain disappear, not just pixels-per-bash. When Lemmings dig, same thing. When Lemmings mine, about 3 or 4 blocks of diagonal terrain disappears even before the Lemming has got there yet. This leads to the interesting idea that Lemmings will pass a miner and fall through the ground while he's still mining. Sometimes Lemmings won't do a job because they don't have room to, but you still lose the skill. For an example of how bad this game was, just play Just Dig. If one Lemming digs, he will live. If all the rest fall down his hole, they will all die because someone turned gravity on too high.

GB: Same thing as above, but black and white.

GBC: This version contained Oh No! More Lemmings. Alot of the levels are missing, and none of the music is the same as any other version. It's superior to the previous two versions in that gravity has finally been fixed so Lemmings don't die from innocuous leaps.

Macintosh: The funniest thing is the censorship. The devil exit has been replaced with what looks like a sort of melted birthday cake with eyes and buckteeth. Also, the levels are squashed in horizontally similar to the Sega Mega Drive version.

Sega Mega Drive: The terrain are all different colours, and as mentioned above have different levels replacing older ones.

Sorry to revive old threads, but information helps many.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 08:02:15 PM »
The GBC lemmings game was pretty bad. I mean, really. It ran so slow, and lacked a lot of levels... The music wasn't even that good.

If I remember correctly, the lemmings per level was ten, but I don't remember.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
I think it was like 14.

PSP/PS2 version: Aside from the new graphics and music, some of the level design makes routes from past versions fail. For example, Mayhem's The Boiler Room is a real pain in the butt! The added graphical details impact bridges, for example. The special levels based on old Psygnosis games are there but are different in different ways. A BEAST of a Level is the same but the trees have no leaves and there's no tree around the exit. The rest of the levels retain their names but the designs are different.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »
Whatever.  The gameboy port was a pile of crap.  That's the most accurate description of it I can think of.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 12:33:18 AM »
Has anyone else seen the Gameboy Lemmings videos by Lemmy556 on YouTube? Well worth a look if you want to see just how crappy it is. I hadn't seen the gameboy version until I watched these :laugh:

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 03:17:54 AM »
Easier to just play it in an emulator. Then you see how REALLY bad it is by doing it yourself. :P

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 03:46:46 AM »
OR, if you are talking about the Gameboy color version, I know how crappy it is FROM ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME ON THE GAMEBOY COLOR.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 03:55:50 PM »
Well HOW CHARMING FOR YOU. Lol.

I bet that'd have been worse too, even the GBC ghosted a little bit. And those Lemmings were terrible. Mind you, they moved so slowly I guess it'd not have mattered. They seem to move slowly to avoid the ghosting from the original GB.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »
Just the port itself though, it's all bad like that.  If I recall, though, climbers were faster, but that may have been a different port...