Author Topic: Beta version of Pocket Lemmings released  (Read 10132 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Beta version of Pocket Lemmings released
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm almost sure that in Original Lemmings it's 63. I haven't checked if it's the same in Oh No!
Yes, in original lemmings it's 60+3, in ONML it's 63+3.

zennehoy

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »
1) Would it be possible for you to use the old Lemmings cursor, instead of the generic arrow cursor? Maybe you can turn off the default cursor, and blit a bitmap of the old Lemm cursor to mouse_x and mouse_y
2) I don't know Delphi, but if you get desperate maybe you could just create a bitmap of a box. :P
1) For me this has fairly low priority, as there is no such thing as a cursor on a PDA... but perhaps someday when I get bored I'll improve the Win32 version into a standalone product. I'll keep the cursor in mind for then :)
2) Actually it's programmed in C++ using DirectDraw, but I imagine I'd have a similar problem in Delphi. I considered bitmaps for the rectangles, but what I'll probably end up doing is locking the screen (i.e. retrieve a pointer to the video memory) and drawing the box pixels manually. I do something similar for objects that only lie on top of terrain for example.

Thanks btw for pointing out the initial fall height problem, there was indeed a bug with the fall counter not being initialized correctly.

Keep the feedback rolling 8)
Thanks!
Zen

zennehoy

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 01:28:09 PM »
Thanks to all the feedback, here's a new version of Pocket Lemmings Beta:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/PocketLemmings.zip

I think I addressed most of the things you suggested, the biggest changes include skill selection highlighting, fast forward capability and support for levels with special graphics.

Let the next round of feedback begin! :tongue:
Zen

p.s. Is there anyone out there with pixel art skills? I really need some help revamping the skills toolbar... my artistic abilities are just not capable of producing anything better.

siergiej

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
If you want, I can try to do something with the skills toolbar  :). Just give me some details: how big should this pictures be, which colours should I use, etc.

zennehoy

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »
Thanks for the offer (at least for giving it a shot)!

Here's the current bitmap of the skills toolbar and minimap/status area:

If you Save Image As you'll find that it's paletted, with the first 7+1 colors already assigned. Feel free to assign the last 8 colors in any way you see fit.
The general layout should preferably stay the same, with the black separating bars remaining in the same location, and the skill order should also stay as is. The still empty box on the left is intended for a selection tool, maybe just the lemmings game cursor (that's what I would have done to keep it simple) or perhaps a gloved hand pinching a lemming (or whatever else you can come up with).

Here are a few screenshots of how it currently looks in game to keep the style consistent (since the Win32 version is so blurry):
___

Have fun and thanks!
Zen

Edit: Added image of Main Menu for good measure...
Edit2: Added image of Configuration Menu

siergiej

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »
OK, I'll se what I can do...

siergiej

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 11:05:29 AM »
This is my first try:
(image deleted, see two posts below)

I just copied original pictures of lemmings and tried to make them clearer. Background of the toolbar, however, is my own one.
I also changed the width of the frames, so they have the same width now (except the third one). I hope you don't mind  :)

zennehoy

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
Looking forward to it!

While we're at it (uploading stuff), here are some additional levels for pocket lemmings:
Original Amiga Levels:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/LemPack_Amiga.zip
Thanks to Mindless for extracting them!

A few of the custom levels from the file archive:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/LemPack_Custom.zip
Thanks to Anatol, Clamspan, Eymerich and Geoo for making these levels!

Just unzip into the same directory as the PocketLemmings executable (unzipping should create a subdirectory) and you're ready to play.

Cheers,
Zen

siergiej

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »
Here it is:

zennehoy

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
Very nice! I like that you made the background continuous, do you still have the source (without black lines and other things covering it)? The way the code works, it would be much easier if the width of the select button is the same as that of the skills, so I'll probably narrow the pause, fast forward and nuke buttons down by one pixel each (nuke and pause on left, forward on right) and make select three pixels wider. It would be nice not to have to interpolate the background where things have shifted.
Thanks for the work! :thumbsup:
Zen

siergiej

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »

It could be a bit different from the background of the ready toolbar, but generally it's the "source".

zennehoy

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »
Hello all,
I admit its been a while since the last update, but I've definitely not given up! In fact, to prove it, here's a new version for you to play with! (Unzip over your previous version to keep your progress.)

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/PocketLemmings.zip

First and foremost a great thank you to Siergiej for making the revamped skills toolbar!

There's a lot of other new stuff as well, most notably the configuration menu. If you can think of any further options or useful hotkeys, please share them and I'll implement them (assuming they're feasible). Details can be found in the readme.

As always I'd really appreciate some feedback, so let me know what you think,
cheers,
Zen

zennehoy

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »
So apparently, based on the lack of feedback to my previous post, that wasn't enough new stuff to get people interested. Let's try again...

Windows: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/PocketLemmingsWin32.zip
PocketPC: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/PocketLemmingsWinCE.zip

There is now sound and music support, you can store and restore save points, and it even features a snazzy new icon! What more can you want? :tongue:

This is one of the last chances you'll get for feedback, the list of things todo grows short. So, if you've ever wanted a certain feature in a lemmings clone, now's the time to try out PocketLemmings and realize it's already implemented, or post your thoughts here and I'll see about implementing them before making the official release.

If nobody replies to that, I guess everyone's just asleep because of the hot weather :mikecool:
Zen

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »
now that I'm running 64-bit Linux, the only easy way I can test it is in qemu... but it simply won't run :(  no window, no error, no dangling process... nothing

I'm sure if I had a PocketPC, I would be kissing your feet :)
on another note, would you consider releasing the source?  if you did, I'd consider porting it to the GP2X

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »
Okay, I just played this (Win32 version), and it's very well done.  I can't really think of much to say about changes or improvements.

Ah, how I wish I had a newer Pocket PC.  I'm stuck with one running PPC2003 so I can't play this on there.

on another note, would you consider releasing the source?  if you did, I'd consider porting it to the GP2X
Dude, a GP2X port would be GODLY.  *hint hint*