Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 9259 times)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Two questions
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »

Hi to everyone:

I have two questions about Lemmings 2 & Lemmings Chronicles and his levels:

1.- Is there any level editor (not counting the Amiga editor nor Cheapo Copycat) for making Lemmings 2 and/or Lemmings Chronicles levels, and running them?

2.- Can be ported the Cheapo Copycat Lemmings-2-like levels (and other levels) to Lemmini/Lemmix Editor/LemEdit?

I am very surprised I can't found new levels or a Windows version for, at least, Lemmings 2... I think it was a very great sequel.

Thanx!

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:00:58 PM »
1.  no, but there's enough information for (at least a simple) one to be written.  I think geoo89 is working toward writing one.

2.  doubtful

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »
O.K., thank you, Mindless. It's a pity... I hope good news form the geoo89's project.

Anatol

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:05:53 AM »
While he's at it, he can make a level editor for Lemmings Revolution. :P And Lemmings 3D :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 01:05:14 PM »
Writing a Lemmings II editor is already almost beyond my capabilities; note that my programming skills have not yet risen far beyond writing console applications. I've got to learn some basics of graphical programming first...progressing very slowly as I'm fiddling with C++, ASM and Japanese as well.
So for 3D, well, you can guess... :P
If you are so crazy about editing Lemmings 3D, you might try something like this for a start: http://lemcrazy370.tripod.com/stuff/other.htm
After all, moving one terrain block IS level editing. :P

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 08:48:22 AM »

Yeah geoo89, I asume that programming and dissassembling it's not an easy task... I also know some of C/C++, and I find the object-oriented programming a incredible challenge...

I am more interested in Lemmings 2 & Lemmings Chronicles rather than Lemmings 3D (I don't have much special love for the three-dimensional games  :laugh:). Maybe with my poor level of programming I can edit slightly one Lemmings 2 level... I must find information on the Internet, or trying by myself.

Thanks!

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
Today I continued working on it, and well, I set up a Button object using OOP. The code I had produced up to now was just a whole load of messy lines I partly lost overview over. In fact, sometimes I used ASM-esque approaches, pretty much the polar opposite of OOP.
But setting up the Button felt so convenient, so I'm gonna restucture the whole code right now. I'm beginning to get really fond of OOP.

Same to me, I don't like 3D games at all either. I don't mind being called conservatist on that, it's simply not my taste.

If you like, the description of the Lemmings II level format can be found on Mindless' site: http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/tools.php
Changing things like skills is pretty easy with a hex-editor, but for more advanced editing that likely won't suffice.

I'll try to get this thing done sometime, you just've got to be patient...

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 07:51:27 AM »

Ok, I'll be patient, hehe. This week I promise I'll try to read any level with some C++ lines, thank you for the documentation.

P.S. I found this yesterday on http://www.kallex.de/lemmings/levels/ (I visit this web many times, I don't know how can I have overlooked it!): It seems to be an Amiga-levels convertor to MS-DOS-levels in this web; I'll also try to build a level on Amiga w/ its editor, and then try it on MS-DOS-Lemmings 2.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
Writing a Lemmings II editor is already almost beyond my capabilities; note that my programming skills have not yet risen far beyond writing console applications. I've got to learn some basics of graphical programming first...progressing very slowly as I'm fiddling with C++, ASM and Japanese as well.
So for 3D, well, you can guess... :P
If you are so crazy about editing Lemmings 3D, you might try something like this for a start: http://lemcrazy370.tripod.com/stuff/other.htm
After all, moving one terrain block IS level editing. :P

Unfortunately, I've found that that only holds for Lemmings 3D Winterland and possibly the PSX version. The PC version's levels are either a different format, or more likely, compressed.