Author Topic: New founds on Lemmings Paintball  (Read 15718 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: New founds on Lemmings Paintball
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 02:43:04 AM »
That is a GREAT question!

...because I found a copy which installs fine on XP but won't run because it says the CD can't be found.  I even tried no-CD patching it.  *shrug*

Rec_rm

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
Strangely enough the demo works just fine. But yea the game installs but the exe refuses to open unless your running windows 95. It kinda angers me because I don't see any real bug. It's just like the programmers spontaneously decided to make the game check the OS then error if it's not 95. It's bugged me ever since I upgraded to 98 (which was a long time ago.)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 05:20:19 AM »
I have Win98SE and Lemmings Paintball works fine for me. I just installed it on WinXP and the game still works... So, I really DON'T UNDERSTAND why it doesn't work for you. ???

The difference is that for me, it's the floppy version (downloaded on the net) and not the CD one.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Rec_rm

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »
Then your going to have to tell me where to get a copy of the floppy version, because I have cd. I don't understand why it doesn't work either. The game just flat out reports that it can't find windows 95 then refuses to load.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 05:50:30 AM »
Abandonware France - Lemmings Paintball

The website is in French but don't worry, it's easy : click on the button "Téléchargements" then click on "Version disquette". A pop-up should appear. Locate "veuillez cliquer ici" in blue and click it, the download should start.

Also, I'm interested of your CD version. Can you do an image CD of it and host it somewhere?

Rec_rm

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 09:29:18 PM »
Ok firstly thank you for the floppy version, it works wonderfully. As for the cd version I do plan on uploading it somewhere. There are a few things you should know.

Firstly, the formatting on the cd is not recognizable by newer systems. Both my xp and vista computers tell me the formatting is wrong or the file is corrupt. Not sure if this is the cd's problem or just the ISO file. If you are having issues with this the files can be recovered quite easily by using any ISO reader. (I use magicISO)

Secondly, when you do get the files out the game will install but the exe won't load. The exact error is lemball.exe is not a valid win32 application. This is the main issue.

Have fun, I'll edit this topic once I find a place to host.

edit: http://www.mediafire.com/?31x9goovvtm blerg, ok got it on mediafire. Should work. The file is just over 50 megs.

Awww level codes, forgot all about them. Sighs *pulls out pad and paper*

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 09:15:30 AM »
That's not a problem, because I'm still under Win98SE! :laugh: I have WinXP too, but on another computer.

Thanks a lot for the file! :thumbsup:

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »
Okay, I have found more interesting things with the CD version.

First, the EXE is bigger, which means it contains more stuff. Strangely, PBAIMOG.VSR is a bit smaller...

There are also more commandlines :

/teststartlevel@
/teststartskill@

And a new cheat code :

When I enter this : it shows "Password OK!" and shows this message in the debug window :

So ya wanna play 2-player? On your head be it!

I have absolutely no idea what it is for. I only knows it's 2-Players related.

With /edit@, I realized that I didn't get the Memory Error window when I deactivate the Zoom. But still there, I have absolutely no idea how to make the editor running.

There's something, however, that disturbs me : it's that there are 4 /edit@ commands stored in the executable. So, I'm thinking : should I put 4 /edit@ commands after the executable path? If yes, then what should I include, 4 different level files? The file, skill, number and level title? I tried many things but with no success.

I also found an email address : rickys@vissci.demon.co.uk
But it doesn't exist anymore. :(

Rec_rm

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »
I think I can fill you in on a few of those mysteries. I noticed in the floppy version that the full screen command doesn't work. Might just be my computer but I think it might explain why the exe is bigger. (correct me if I'm wrong) Or it's possible that the win32 error check was removed making the file smaller. Secondly I have a confession to make. The cd version I have, and also the one I gave you, was not ripped by me. I got it off bit torrent. The email is from the original distributer of the torrent file that no longer exists. Although lemmings paintball is the only cd based lemmings game that I don't own the actual cd.

I do have a hunch about what the cheat might be for though. Lemmings paintball does have a lan option. I wonder if that might affect the two player levels somehow. If the cheat works in the floppy version too then I think I might play around with it. Have some high quality two player matches against myself. Woot!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 07:35:03 AM »
Fullscreen command in floppy version works. It works in both versions.

You got it by torrent? >:( Grrr... That would explain why the Autorun doesn't work at all and this debug message.

The 2-Players cheat code is not available for the floppy version.

Lee

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »
I compared the floppy exe with my CD version, and the only difference is two bytes- addr. decimal 25,144 and 25,145. I use the CD version, and by changing these two bytes to 0xEB and 0x4C respectively (the values in the floppy version), the game no longer needs the CD in the drive to play. You need to copy the AVI and MIDI files from the CD though or you get error messages, but it still runs. With this information we could make a no-CD patch, but I'm more focussed on the level editor at the moment. The PBAIMOG.vsr resource files are identical in both versions. The floppy version doesn't play the intro movie for me, nor does the no-cd 'patched' version.

I'm interested in these various exe versions as some might be newer builds. They could contain bug fixes.

BTW, my CD version is different from the other one. I'm downloading it now to compare them. Mine doesn't have the 2-Player cheat code

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
Yeah, floppy version has broken intro, extro and succfail videos (probably, to save some space). Just replace them with the correct bigger ones and you're done.