Author Topic: The Lemmings Remake Level List Order  (Read 12902 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Remake Level List Order
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »
How much you like the level overall, hmm... This seems redundant with the Yes/No vote. It makes sense to use one system, either Yes/No or a rating system, but not both. I feel that there might be a bit of tension if we open it up to a rating system, as more subjectivity is involved (I mean, it's easy to have a reason for Yes vs. No or No vs. Yes, but for a "4" vs. a "5"?). Keep in mind that you can like a level but still vote No on it, if you don't think it would fit well in the remake, or for other reasons (one example, the level is redundant, meaning it is solved in a way similar to another level, but the other one is maybe better. This is of course mostly for the higher difficulty levels, as many easy levels can be solved in multiple ways, but I think you see what I mean). We have the comment section to discuss the levels, and I think on the borderline cases we will be able to come to a consensus through discussion. We can also use other factors if need be, such as how many levels an author would have if a level were accepted (for example, if an author only has one level nominated, all things being equal theirs should get priority over an author who has ten levels nominated, for variety), graphics set balance, etc.
Hmm, you're right, the additional voting system would leave out other factors which are important to decide whether the level should be kept in or not. A discussion should be much better in this case. I think we should stay with the Yes/No system with approval/disapproval for major reasons for a level to be kept in/out, and a neutral vote (to distinguish from 'unvoted').

EDIT: I think I didn't mention it yet, or maybe I did, anyways, for the level entry, maybe an option could be added to select between Lemmings and ONML/Christmas for a level. That way, if we decided to make two remakes because of the high amount of levels, it would be easier to sort them out into two categories. Although, hmm, just thinking of it, that work could also be done easily with a script as the *.lvl files are submitted. That's fine.

Knowing that you are working through this already, I'll try to get this up as soon as I can. It won't have any frills, and will still take a little to get up and running, but I'll be working on it.
Nice to know. I'll continue now on my list a little...

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 01:34:54 AM »
EDIT: I think I didn't mention it yet, or maybe I did, anyways, for the level entry, maybe an option could be added to select between Lemmings and ONML/Christmas for a level. That way, if we decided to make two remakes because of the high amount of levels, it would be easier to sort them out into two categories. Although, hmm, just thinking of it, that work could also be done easily with a script as the *.lvl files are submitted. That's fine.

Simple query on the Graphics Set #  :tongue:
But I will note to add one on that.

On a side note, this week is kind of busy for me as far as school goes, but after Thursday I'll be home for fall break, with plenty of time to work on this. Setting up the database is easy, I have the tables all basically prepared, and the queries are rather basic. PHP makes certain things easy (like session ids for user tracking), I just have to look up how to do it. It won't be hard once I get a little bit of time.

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »
Ok the one thing I want to know is, will this all be done with lemmix or lemedit? if it is lemmix, im out.

Tim.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 11:40:57 PM »
Ok the one thing I want to know is, will this all be done with lemmix or lemedit? if it is lemmix, im out.

It won't matter what editor is used. The only thing that matters is the file format, and for that we are using .lvl and the compressed version .dat. Both LemEdit (and Lemmings, and ONML, and CustLemm, ... ) and Lemmix use the same file formats so you can use whichever editor you want. A level edited in LemEdit is openable in Lemmix and vice-versa. There are no conflicts here...

An analogy: do you care what text editor someone uses? or what image editor (using a standard format like .jpg)? No, because you can open them in any text editor/viewer or any image editor/viewer without problems.

STT

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 04:50:39 AM »
So Shvegait, how's the PHP coming along?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 06:00:15 PM »
Sorry about the delay, school is just taking up so much of my time... I should have some time to work on this in the near future.

STT

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2006, 02:52:23 AM »
I can sympathise.... :XD: