Author Topic: Mysterious 404s when trying to post  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: Mysterious 404s when trying to post
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 10:12:31 PM »
lynx port of

EDIT: SOLVED!!!!!!!!111111!!!!11one

Apparently this has to do with the hosting running mod_security on Apache.  It filters certain things out, and I guess Lynx is something.

Anyway, what I did was make an .htaccess file that disables mod_security for my hosting account.  I hope that's OK.

NOW IT WORKS. PARTYTIME!

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 02:16:30 AM »
Huzzah!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 10:59:30 PM »
lynx port of

EDIT: SOLVED!!!!!!!!111111!!!!11one

Apparently this has to do with the hosting running mod_security on Apache.̆ It filters certain things out, and I guess Lynx is something.

Good job.  :thumbsup:

Incidentally, Lynx is just not the name of a failed handheld console, as some people here seems to be thinking.  It is also the name for a text-only web browser that used to be popular in Unix in the ancient days of the WWW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29

Still not sure how that is relevant to security though. :undecided:  Other meanings for "Lynx" listed in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28disambiguation%29

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 01:59:41 AM »
Incidentally, Lynx is just not the name of a failed handheld console, as some people here seems to be thinking.  It is also the name for a text-only web browser that used to be popular in Unix in the ancient days of the WWW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29

I still use lynx on a regular basis through SSH, as the alternative is paying the university their exorbitant internet tax (which would involve waiting untold hours in a line). Works great as long as you don't want images. Or Javascript.  :tongue:

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 02:20:55 AM »
I still use lynx on a regular basis through SSH, as the alternative is paying the university their exorbitant internet tax (which would involve waiting untold hours in a line). Works great as long as you don't want images. Or Javascript.  :tongue:

You can use SSH but not browse the web?

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 08:00:26 AM »
In Western Australia there's this peering service called WAIX, which (in a nutshell) connects almost every single machine located in Perth. Normally the university forces you to use a metered proxy for outside websites, but allows free unproxied WAIX traffic. Which is brilliant as my lovely server I have a shell account on is available.