Author Topic: Is this an official Lemmings T-shirt (dated 1993?)  (Read 266 times)

Offline brookstermax

• View Profile
Is this an official Lemmings T-shirt (dated 1993?)
« on: April 03, 2024, 07:48:11 PM »
I just landed this Lemmings tshirt for the first title but stamped 1993.

It is posted on Twitter where I asked Mike Dailly if he recognises it and he does not.

Does anyone have any ideas about it or its provenance?

Twitter/X link below with images.

https://x.com/brookesmark/status/1775606593612116209?s=46&t=jJ_LMd4nZbMHpwstpSbzOw

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Is this an official Lemmings T-shirt (dated 1993?)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 11:21:57 PM »
Welcome to the forums, and nice find! I haven't seen this before, either.

To me, it looks like properly licensed merchandise related to one of the Lemmings 1 console ports. The lemmings are drawn in the style of Lemmings 1 box art. Even though I haven't seen this particular scene, it is either drawn by one of the original artists or matches that style extremely well.

The red feet (instead of white/beige feet) look like what's printed on the SNES Lemmings 1 cartridge or like the Sega Genesis cover.

The logo comes with the small (TM) in the corner, quite prominently even. That again makes it look more like a licensed shirt, although it's possible that unlicensed shirts would also print that (TM).

I see two dubious parts: First is the misspelling ("Jeronimo" instead of "Geronimo"), but that may well be par for early 90's computer game merchandise. The second dubiousity is that lemmings in this style (with this hairdo, with these eyes) normally don't have the red feet. Covers with red feet typically have differently-drawn lemmings faces.

-- Simon