Author Topic: Lix Multiplayer - Sat 26th Nov 6pm UTC (Come & try the new handicap feature!)  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
EDIT: We've decided on Saturday 26th Nov at 6pm UTC (Remember that UK timezone = UTC)

I propose another session on the weekend of Sat 26/ Sun 27th November, either day is fine depends on everyone's preference.

If we decide on Saturday 26th then we should start at 6pm UTC
If we decide on Sunday 27th then we should start at 5pm UTC
(it should be noted that British clocks went back an hour since the last session so we are in fact on UTC exactly at the moment)

Anyone who has played Lix multiplayer in the past and has dismissed it, please come back and give it another chance (hear me out).

The handicap feature which we tested with the release of 0.10.0 is a big game changer, it is applied to the stronger players to make things harder for them in the following ways:
- it can reduce the amount of Lixes the stronger players start with.
- it can reduce the amount of skills the stronger players start with.
- it can delay the spawning of the stronger players Lixes.
- it can reduce the amount of points the stronger players score by a fraction.
All while the less experienced players play the multiplayer as normal with full Lix, full skills, first to spawn and full scoring.

It is a significant enough change to the multiplayer to come and give Lix another go if you hated the bullying from more experienced players who now have to jump through hoops and overcome obstacles from their own handicap. We only tested this feature with 5 players, it would be nice to have a full lobby and see how it goes.

You must download Lix 0.10.0 to be able to play though. Crossplay between 0.9 Lix and 0.10 Lix is not possible! Thanks for hearing me out :lix-cool:

Of course new players are very welcome too!

Download 0.10.0 here
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6073.0

Please post below which day is better
Saturday 26th Nov 6pm UTC
Sunday 27th Nov 5pm UTC (can start a bit later if necessary if too early)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 03:00:37 AM by Flopsy »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
I'll play!

I have a slight preference for the Sunday, but I'll play regardless of what we decide. Interesting and good idea to propose an earlier start for Sunday than for Saturday. 17:00 UTC on Sunday is good.

-- Simon

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
I should be free either day. :lix-smile:
If Simon has a preference for Sunday 27th, we can go with that if you want...

Online geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's too early for me to tell for sure. I might be able to make both or none of the dates, I suspect Saturday is more likely to work than Sunday, as I might be travelling on Sunday, but again, can't say for sure.
So I suggest you pick based on everyone else's preferences, and (as usual) I'll join if I can make it. Would love to try to the new handicap with more players.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
It's been ages since I played. I'll try to make this session, not sure yet what I'm doing those days but I'll probably be able to join either day.

I need to update Lix and figure out mumble again. Was unable to find the lix server last time I tried.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
figure out mumble again. Was unable to find the lix server last time I tried.

I'll PM you the server details.

-- Simon

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Ok so to tot up what has been said

me: no preference
Simon: prefers Sunday but can play both days
kingshadow: no preference
geoo: says Saturday could be better but not sure if he could make it at the moment either way
mobius: hasn't commented on what day too early to say.
Rampoina: haven't been able to get a response from on IRC

I'm leaning towards Saturday for the sake of geoo (has missed out on the last session) and Silken Healer (who has said in the past Saturdays are better). What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Yep, I'm good with Saturday, 18:00 UTC.

We're still warmly inviting new players! The handicap is always up for discussion before play. We don't have to use it if you don't want to. It's not for boasting. Rather, it makes everybody's good decisions more meaningful.

-- Simon

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Updated the topic to reflect that we have decided on Saturday 26th Nov at 6pm UTC. :lix-cool:

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
I will be attending. I have no preference for the date and time.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Looking forward to play this Saturday evening.

Flopsy, nice avatar!

-- Simon

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Indeed, looking forward to playing around with the handicap feature some more :lix-cool:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Session is about to start. I'm already on Mumble. Join me anytime!

Stream is over! The recording will be at https://twitch.tv/simonnaar for 14 days. Also Icho records Lix sessions for youtube.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 09:14:23 PM by Simon »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for coming to the session this evening and taking me up on my challenge to give the multiplayer another chance, it feels like the message got heard somehow.

Was very nice to see new players such as darkshoxx and returning players such as Dullstar and Lana!

Also it was ultra competitive (especially between myself, Simon, geoo and Icho who were heavily handicapped much of the session) and it felt like the results were very mixed all round, it felt like the handicap has done a good job at making the games more well rounded.

Had a lot of fun on Selective Rescue and Rescue Ranger Trolls as usual as well.

Will probably arrange another session early on in January (most likely weekend of 7th/8th January - free both days again), have a nice holiday season everyone!

Also I'm working on some Lix multiplayer stuff in the background and hope to have something ready for early 2023.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
bummer that I missed this today; sadly my schedule just doesn't seem to be lining up too well lately to make it, but eventually I will. I did get to watch a bit of Simon's stream, looks like there was a good crowd. :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain