Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Some sound fx don't play when using specific audio hardware  (Read 3176 times)

Offline poseidal

• View Profile
Hello, for some reason, certain sound effects don't play when outputting to my Asus Xonar DSX sound card (PCI-E) - notably the noise when giving a lemming a skill, the timer warning sound for builders, the explosion sound effects and likely a lot of others. Some voice effects and the opening sound seem to work, though they sound like they cut out quickly.

This does not happen outputting to an onboard Realtek device, nor even a Zoom audio interface connected via USB.

This occurs with both the player and previewing a level with the editor.

N.B. I've noticed that NeoLemmix.exe never shows up in my Windows volume mixer like most applications so I can't change it's volume with that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Some sound fx don't play when using specific audio hardware
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 10:21:13 PM »
All audio in NL runs through the same library, and most of it (except for music) through the exact same code. It could be that the specific formats (in terms of bit rate / frequency) of certain files might not be compatible with that soundcard - although I would find it a bit strange for a dedicated standalone soundcard to have worse support than common integrated soundcard chips.

I did take a look at the files and found some of them are actually saved with really weird, nonstandard frequencies - this might be part of the cause. To test this theory - can you replace the copy of "EXPLODE.WAV" in your NL's "sound" folder, with the one attached to this post, and let me know if it works better? If it does, then I'll try converting all sounds to use a more-standard frequency in a future update.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Some sound fx don't play when using specific audio hardware
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 05:39:41 AM »
I decided to go ahead with said conversion anyway; done in commit 208e91d. In the same commit I also converted all default sound effect names to lowercase (something that should've been done a long time ago). I'll leave this topic open on the offchance poseidal comes back and responds as to whether the above attachment helps.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Given that the original poster here has not replied as to whether this helps with his issue, and that other people have reported new issues arising from the fix, I have reverted the fix in commit 2fb5e08. As this counts as a styles update, this does not need to wait for a new version of NL; it's already live, just redownload the default style.
My Lemmings projects