Author Topic: Weird tries to run NeoLemmix on Android with emulators  (Read 3682 times)

Weird tries to run NeoLemmix on Android with emulators
« on: June 12, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »
Method one (failed)
1) Magic DosBox + Windows98 + kernelex 4.5.2016 + NeoLemmix 12.3.1
Works OK on PC "DOSBox SVN-Daum" emulator with some graphics glitches, but the game crashes on "Magic DosBox" emulator for android
Does not work at all with the latest version of NeoLemmix (crashes windows to BSOD)

Method two (works with normal game speed but without sound)
2) Limbo x86 PC Emulator + Windows XP SP0 + NeoLemmix 12.9.3
Works at normal game speed without sound card emulation and playable.
With sound card emulation works at 0.5x game speed and with sound glitches, unplayable.
Does not work at all with the latest version of NeoLemmix (ERROR: External exception C06D007F)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:55:33 AM by 404_user_not_found »

Re: Weird tries to run NeoLemmix on Android with emulators
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »
The latest possible version of NeoLemmix for Windows XP SP0 is 12.9.4. You can't run the latest version even on Windows XP SP3 that boots and loads OS significantly slower than Windows XP SP0. You need at least Windows 7 that requires a far more resources for emulation than WinXP SP0.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 01:27:35 AM »
Could you instead emulate Linux + WINE? NeoLemmix is known to work fairly well under WINE on Linux - on some desktops fullscreen mode doesn't work, but windowed mode usually still does.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 03:28:09 PM »
3) Limbo x86 PC Emulator 5.1.0 + ReactOS 0.4.15-dev-2704-gd5265b0 + NeoLemmix 12.9.4
Works at normal game speed without sound card emulation and playable.
Does not work at all with the latest version of NeoLemmix (ERROR: External exception C06D007F)

Some troubles with ReactOS:
The latest stable version ReactOS 0.4.13 doesn't works with "Limbo x86 PC Emulator" (crashes to BSOD). You need the latest dev version.
The latest dev ReactOS works only with USB mouse and USB keyboard but by default "Limbo x86 PC Emulator" emulates only PS/2 mouse and keyboard. You need to set:
User Interface>>>Mouse>>>Set to "usb-mouse"
Advanced>>>Extra QEMU Params: >>> Add a text "-device -usb-kbd"

Could you instead emulate Linux + WINE? NeoLemmix is known to work fairly well under WINE on Linux - on some desktops fullscreen mode doesn't work, but windowed mode usually still does.
Do you know a lightweight linux distribution?
I tried the old ubuntu 10.10 (2010 year) with classic GNOME 2 UI and it takes a long time to load the entire OS. When ReactOS 0.4.15 dev or Win XP SP0 loads less than a minute.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 03:33:40 PM by 404_user_not_found »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »
I'm not too familiar with all the different distros - to be honest, most of my work with Linux has been on headless machines, but in cases where I have needed a lightweight environment I've gone with Ubuntu or Debian builds that use the LXDE desktop environment. This was some time ago now - so LXDE may very well be abandoned or obsolete these days, though on the flipside that's probably not a problem for something like this.

On a side note - these issues 404 is reporting, does anyone know if they occur on real Linux when using WINE with V12.10.X or higher? While I don't consider it a "must absolutely have it no matter what", I certianly would prefer to keep NL working well under WINE if I can on normal hardware setups.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 04:54:44 PM »
This was some time ago now - so LXDE may very well be abandoned or obsolete these days
Thanks for LXDE advice. It still alive in Ubuntu world

does anyone know if they occur on real Linux when using WINE with V12.10.X or higher?
I tested in the VirtualBox and it works under wine in Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 04:58:55 AM »
4) Limbo x86 PC Emulator 5.1.0 + LUbuntu 10.10 + NeoLemmix 12.11.3
Installed in VirtualBox than I transfer it to Limbo x86 PC Emulator. You can do it if you configure VirtualBox to create QEMU HDD image *.QCOW instead of default *.VDI.
Works under wine installed from LUbuntu 10.10 repository. You need to reconfigure URL of default repository because the build-in settings from 2010 will not work in 2021.