Author Topic: Lemmix Level Editor, alpha release  (Read 13942 times)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Editor, alpha release
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »
This editor is amazing. It's exactly what people were asking for about a year ago (or more), a DOS Lemmings editor for Windows. We at least got something with LemEdit2, but at least on my system, it was unusable for creating levels from scratch (slow), only minor edits. But it's even better than that, consolidating all the versions of DOS/Win Lemmings, with the built-in player and excellent replay function... It's just awesome.  :thumbsup:  I haven't tried the actual editor part much, as the well's been pretty dry for level ideas for me (I have a few ideas, but not a lot of time), but it seems very nice. So umm, good job, and thanks!

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Lemmix Level Editor Alpha 0.0.10
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 08:12:59 AM »
Uploaded 0.0.10:

You can keep your old ini-file, so make a copy before unzipping the last one.

# Fixed error when opening VgaGr-dos-files to obtain graphic information, when these files are readonly. The problem was that Lemmix opened the files with readwrite access (which is not needed).
# Included gamejumps of 10 game-seconds and 1 game-minute (see doc)
# Included SaveState (see doc)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »
I think I don't need to say again how much I'm amazed by the editor with its play-test feature, just a few minor notes/suggestions:
- first a problem I have: I can't seem to be able to open a CustLemm level using special graphics, the VgaSpecX files are in the directory I set CustLemm in the LemmixStyles.ini; I get an alert "TCustLemmStyle.FindExtGraphicSet # not found." while # represents the number; and they can't be compiled either
- extracting levels from a pack saves the single levels as files with .dat extension, while they actually should be *.lvl
- the point the cursor detects a lemming seems to be shifted ~2px to the left, i.e. when you move the cursor from left to right (pixel-wise) over the lemming, it will change and re-change its shape 2px too early, which has effect on the possibility to assign skills to a lemming
suggestions (or: things for my pleasure I'd like to bother you with ;)):
- as ccexplore already suggested (I think), using CustLemm for default when opening a *.dat pack which associated style is unknown
- support CustLem2 (only difference: max-safe-fall distance is 3px lower than for CustLemm); actually, as I'm apparently the only one to create my levels for CustLem2, and only two of my levels are affected, I could also modify those, but still, it would be nice
- at a zoom level >1, when dragging pieces, the problem is that you can move the (pre-display of the) pieces also fractions of pixels then: When releasing the mouse button, the piece doesn't get into the nearest field; I mean, its top left pixel doesn't move into the nearest pixel, but into the one the top left point of the piece is in. Umm...hard to describe, but makes editing a little more compliced, I could use Ctrl+Arrows though. Anyway, a second solution for this could be allowing the pre-display of the piece be displayed only at whole pixels.
- remember the view settings (I mean the options from 'View' in the second and third sections and where the windows [F9-F11] are placed) when closing the editor
- for file -> open not only view the resp. supportet formats (*.dat, *.lvl, *.ini, VgaSpec?), but maybe also 'all supported formats'
- Customizable key settings for the level tester (Leaving F1-F12 as it is); I e.g. like P-Pause, Enter-FastForward as I don't even have to move my hand then; the savestate-keys etc. also nearby would be great for me then
- set FastForward off when pause, restart level, load savestate or load demo is pressed; or at least a customizable option to switch that on/off

Especially my later points are rather for the final changes when everything else is ready, but as the editor/tester is practically fully usable (and used), some of these thing changed would be really nice (at least for me, sorry).

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »
- first a problem I have: I can't seem to be able to open a CustLemm level using special graphics, the VgaSpecX files are in the directory I set CustLemm in the LemmixStyles.ini; I get an alert "TCustLemmStyle.FindExtGraphicSet # not found." while # represents the number; and they can't be compiled either
I think it is already possible to support these graphics. We need to edit the ini-file for this.
I am not sure, however, if my chosen implementation of supporting the styles/graphics is perfect. That's also the reason I have no User Interface for it in Lemmix.
If you see the sections of DosOrig you can do something like this for CustLemm, just add a section (not tested!).

Code: [Select]
[CustLemm_10]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=
GraphicExtFile=VGASPECXXX.DAT <-------- file containing the special bitmap
GraphicFile=Vgagr0.DAT <------- the same as for the dirt-set
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0 <-------- dirt-set
GraphicSetIdExt=10 <------- the number refered to in the LVL-file
GraphicSetName=GeoSpec <-------- some name
MetaInfoFile=Ground0o.DAT  <--------- same as for dirt

In principal this should be working. You must like experimenting in this Lemmix-phase.
Save your original LemmixStyles.ini and try it :)

- extracting levels from a pack saves the single levels as files with .dat extension, while they actually should be *.lvl

Yeah, that bothers me too. It is possible to extract for example the sections of MAIN.DAT, that's why it's done this way. On my todolist.

- the point the cursor detects a lemming seems to be shifted ~2px to the left, i.e. when you move the cursor from left to right (pixel-wise) over the lemming, it will change and re-change its shape 2px too early, which has effect on the possibility to assign skills to a lemming

Ok, I'll check this again. I know it is not totally exact yet.

- as ccexplore already suggested (I think), using CustLemm for default when opening a *.dat pack which associated style is unknown

I'll do that. I'll make it an option some next version.

- support CustLem2 (only difference: max-safe-fall distance is 3px lower than for CustLemm); actually, as I'm apparently the only one to create my levels for CustLem2, and only two of my levels are affected, I could also modify those, but still, it would be nice

I don't know anything about CustLem2. Here again you could try and add sections to the ini-file. Make a copy of the DosOhNo sections and start experimenting. Currently I want to complete the standalone player, so I'll put it on the list (at the end :))

- at a zoom level >1, when dragging pieces, the problem is that you can move the (pre-display of the) pieces also fractions of pixels then: When releasing the mouse button, the piece doesn't get into the nearest field; I mean, its top left pixel doesn't move into the nearest pixel, but into the one the top left point of the piece is in. Umm...hard to describe, but makes editing a little more compliced, I could use Ctrl+Arrows though. Anyway, a second solution for this could be allowing the pre-display of the piece be displayed only at whole pixels.

You're absolutely right. It's on the list already. Use the arrow-keys for now.

- remember the view settings (I mean the options from 'View' in the second and third sections and where the windows [F9-F11] are placed) when closing the editor.

Ok. I did this in the beginning, but there was a huge amount of "flickering" when the windows opened. I'll restore it soon and see what I can do about the flickering.
I'll save the view-settings too.

- for file -> open not only view the resp. supportet formats (*.dat, *.lvl, *.ini, VgaSpec?), but maybe also 'all supported formats'

Yeah, agree. But autodetection is hard. So I force the user to make a decision.
Maybe later.

- Customizable key settings for the level tester (Leaving F1-F12 as it is); I e.g. like P-Pause, Enter-FastForward as I don't even have to move my hand then; the savestate-keys etc. also nearby would be great for me then

The current key-settings are almost random now :)
The keysettings are going to be part of the game-clone too, so I do not know yet if they will be customizable. Of course we need to figure out the best keys.

- set FastForward off when pause, restart level, load savestate or load demo is pressed; or at least a customizable option to switch that on/off

Ok, I think this is a good idea.
I'll copy paste this whole thing in my todo list.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 08:46:48 PM »

I don't know anything about CustLem2. Here again you could try and add sections to the ini-file. Make a copy of the DosOhNo sections and start experimenting. Currently I want to complete the standalone player, so I'll put it on the list (at the end :))

In terms of the style definition, CustLem2 is basically ONML game mechanics with the file layout of CustLemm (eg. vgagrX 0-9).̆ I don't remember exactly, but I think I made this version mainly because some people like Timballisto makes their custom levels for Lemmings/ONML rather than CustLemm, and CustLem2 is a compromise where you don't have to actually replace the levelXXX.dat/dlvelXXX.dat files of the original game to play the levels, but still get mechanics that is closer to the original games than CustLemm's (particularly the difference in max safe-fall distance).

Now that I found out all these tiny differences between Lemmings and ONML themselves, CustLem2 is actually somewhat of a failure, since technically it still won't handle 100% correctly the levels that were designed for Original Lemmings (though in practice it probably makes no difference).

Because the vast majority of levels are designed with CustLemm in mind, I don't expect much usage of CustLem2 (and in fact I should discourage it now that I know it doesn't really handle original-Lemmings-specific mechanics 100% correctly).̆ So I guess you can include the CustLem2 style in Lemmix if you want, but I actually don't mind leaving it out, letting the user edit the INI file if they want it.̆ With Lemmix, you can actually specify the game mechanics to use when playing Timballisto's levels, so CustLem2 is no longer necessary for that purpose.

tseug

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 10:46:04 PM »
The trigger areas for some traps are way bigger than they should be (or in the wrong place). For example in level 8 of geo's 2nd pack the trigger area for the zapper is 8x12.....

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 11:09:38 PM »
I don't know what exactly you call 'zapper', but the trigger areas are (displayed in the editor, and as far as I checked, also within the game) 4x4, 8x8 and 8x4 for the respective traps in the Crystal style in the version I have (should be the latest one).

Just one other thing I noted: In LemEdit, you could use fake-objects just giving them a z-ordinal higher than 15. In Lemmix however, you cannot achieve this without giving the level at least 17 objects because the in Lemmix, there can't be z-values without an object assigned to them.
This required me to change the 8th level of my 2nd pack a little to make terrain instead of a fake trap show the position of an otherwise invisible trap.

tseug

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 11:23:11 PM »
It's a demolecularizer I guess.

It looks like the trigger area size depends on the object's y-coordinate. One of them is 8x8 but the other is 8x12.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 08:15:55 AM »
I know about the fake objects. In the next release I will make this possible.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 11:53:19 AM »
I just noticed that when dragging an upside-down (inverted) terrain piece the "drag ghost" isn't upside down.

Not sure if this is even fixable.  :tongue:

Also, I can't move pieces using the arrow keys, and it'd be cool if the delete key deleted the selection instead of having to use cut.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 12:00:57 PM »
Inverted is fixable.
I think it is Ctrl + Delete which deletes the selection.
And you can move pieces around with arrow keys. I don't know what's wrong there (?).

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 01:49:16 AM »
And you can move pieces around with arrow keys. I don't know what's wrong there (?).

Checking my archives, in 0.0.7 (and possibly later) I can use the arrow keys.  :shocked:

SeriousGamer

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 06:22:52 AM »
Is there a way to have the terrain and object pieces snap to a grid like a multiple of 8 when moving them around with the mouse?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »
Is there a way to have the terrain and object pieces snap to a grid like a multiple of 8 when moving them around with the mouse?
Nope. I would like to add that. It's on my (long and difficult) list....
You can use the "Align to grid used by Dos" menu option.
Or you can use the ctrl + arrow keys.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 06:46:08 PM »
For me, the arrows keys and 'Del' to delete a piece ain't working most of the time either, but I just spotted the problem: They work until I resize the sections at the bottom horizontally. After doing so, they don't work anymore. This is quite annoying, I hope you can fix that. I have version 0.0.10.0
And a few more suggestions: - Hitting the [...] buttons in the Inspector window could automatically add a terrain piece/object.
- Clicking an terrain piece/object/steel in the 'Level list' window could select it automatically.
- For the play tester, as in 0xdeadbeef's Lemmini, double clicking the RR up/down button or F1/F2 respectively could set the RR to maximum/minimum.