Author Topic: The Lemmings Remake Topic  (Read 29829 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Remake Topic
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »
As I saw with Lemmix, the second level (Frame boiled lemming), the exit has a index of 18. I don't know custlemm, but in dos-lemmings objects above index 15 do not work.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
Yep. Your exit needs a Z-order of 15 or less or else it will be non-functional.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Mossaic91

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 04:30:02 AM »
Ahh, feels good to make new levels, I finally got those broken levels fixed, and added more levels to make 10 in all! Ranging from Fun to possibly Taxing or Mayhem.

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/moss91.dat

Enjoy!

TOG

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 04:10:45 AM »
Oops! I accidently uploaded togpak.dat into the main directory, but then put it into the levelpaks directory. Here is the link.

TOG

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 03:32:01 AM »
I guess that ccexplore's hack will be used for the final putting together of the Lemmings Remake? Also, does anyone know how many levels are to be used in the game so far?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
We barely have 20 to 30 levels, I believe.  I saved everything from the old topic at the old forums to my computer, I'll have to find and combine them with these.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »
I've been confused as to the purposes of this project for a while. It seems like just an excuse for people to make levels. But then why do we need this? People have been making levels and distributing them as levelpak.dats just fine.

I always thought it would be like some "best of" megapack with an effort of collaboration from everyone who makes levels. We have plenty more than the number of levels needed, but we could offer the best levels of many authors in a tight package with a good difficulty curve. Then, if people are interested in custom Lemmings levels, and have no idea what a levelpak is, and don't feel like going through and figuring out whose levels are too easy for them and whose are too hard for them, they could start off here and play a good selection of the levels we have to offer.

What's to say that the levels being created specifically for this project are better than other levels? I'm going to guess that most people making levels for this project are not recycling tricks from other authors' level packs (that are not used in original Lemmings or ONML). This means that for a new player venturing into the realm of custom levels, they will miss out on a lot of innovative levels by playing the remake. I don't mean to say that what people have created is not good, and I'm sure we could use some of these levels... But it's confusing to me why people are making levels for a project which is just like CustLemm levels except with a shiny package.

To me, the reason for the shiny package is obvious, to make it easier for people who may be interested in custom Lemmings levels (or even just *more* Lemmings levels) to get their fix. To make it easier to say "Download This!" and offer up an experience like the original Lemmings (as far as difficulty curve, etc. go).

What I've seen is people creating all-new levels, which people do anyway... but what would be more interesting is sifting through other level packs, finding the best, and fixing their flaws (obvious backroutes, etc.). The amount of work is significantly less, and the result for the new (to CustLemm) player who just wants a reliably good set of levels should be quite good...

Now, maybe I'm misguided, so I'll ask the people who have created levels for this project: how do you view the Lemmings remake?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »
I say that Shvegait's idea is good.  This would speed it up and allow for people to experience new lemmings levels without mucking about with levelpak.dat's.  However, we should include some of the levels that have already been made for this.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 07:15:04 PM »
Oh yes, I didn't mean not to include levels people have already created for this. :smiley:

TOG

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
I like the idea of Lemmings Remake (or whatever it's called) because there would 120 levels in a row, and I wouldn't have to switch it (the levelpak) out every ten levels I beat, and besides, with only 10 levels to go through, we wouldn't get to hear all the songs. And yes, It would have a shiny package, because it would look like the original... and personally I'd like that.

As long as the 120 levels in the Lemmings Remake are good, I don't care which ones they are.

STT

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 12:18:56 PM »
Well, I want at least some of mine published. I dunno. I'm currently working on some levels, and I may return to fix TwigPaks1-2 to cut the level of excess skills in them.

Are we going to have a credits listing who did what level?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 05:39:36 PM »
Are we going to have a credits listing who did what level?

Yeah! Of course.

And everyone who wants to be involved should have a couple of their levels in the project for sure.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 06:03:47 PM »
And is it an idea to use the Lemmix standalone player for this? I know there is no player yet, but I'm working on it. I'll need about two or three months and it's finished.
We could enhance the program with some of the extra features like replay.
Well I am going to make the player anyway so...

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 06:50:34 PM »
I don't think it matters either way, really. I mean the actual work of the project would be in deciding what levels go in and where. I remember ccexplore hacked Lemmings to use a more direct way of choosing levels so that we can do this with original Lemmings. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be able to be compatible with Lemmix, though, assuming you got the standalone player ready. One goal will be to make it as simple to set up for the end-user as possible. Lemmix is really nice in that it doesn't require DOSBox or an old machine.

At the same time we want to preserve "look and feel" I guess. But really this decision doesn't need to be made until everything is ready.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 08:58:42 PM »
Ya... I'd recommend collecting the 120 levels we want to use before we start worrying about logistics and the like. I quite like the "best of pack with a few new designs" idea that's been floated around here.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano