Author Topic: The Lemmings Remake Topic  (Read 29797 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
The Lemmings Remake Topic
« on: May 29, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
This is the official topic for the Lemmings Forums project, the Lemmings Remake.  This post will explain it in detail and will be updated with stuff.

What is it?
The Lemmings Remake (can't remember if we have an official name yet) is basically the original MS-DOS Lemmings game, except with an entirely new set of levels created by the community.  When complete, there will be 120 new levels to play in.

How can I help?
Go grab Lemedit (or the upcoming Lemmix editor for Windows), make some levels, and post them here.  The genius level solvers will go through them and find all the problems and decide where it'll end up in the game.

What's the progress?
Heck, I'm not sure.  We're kind of stalled right now.

<<In the future, a list of where some of the levels will be in the game will be here>>

So, now, discuss this game, make new levels, all that stuff.

lomay

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »
its good to be back with an new (but really "remake") forum. ^^;

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 01:09:21 PM »
I made a level, but I have absolutely no idea how to post it.  :?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »
I was going to add an attachment feature, but the mod was only for advanced users and looked like I might $%#& up the board if I goofed.

I need to find the link for the Lemmings File Portal again.  Then I'll make it a sticky in all the boards.  Can someone point me to it?  Then you'll know where to post things.

tseug

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 06:18:27 PM »

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »
Here is the level I once submitted that had a lot of backroutes in it. Thanks to Lemmix, I was able to edit it without having to figure out DOSBox again.

This time, I don't think there's any backroutes.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 06:48:03 PM »
I still have the old discussion here: ht[]tp://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/Lemmings%20re-make%20-%201135291547.html
Note, it's 1.4 MB, but, in contrast to the old forum, at least accessable.

Thanks to Mindless, here is the old part of the discussion: http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/forums/?topic=1135291547

As for a level, since it only uses simple tricks, maybe level 4 of my second CustLemm level pack (and I could additionally make one or two introductory levels for the tricks): http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/1-PLLRS.LVL

STT

Re: The Lemmings Remake Topic
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »

Leviathan

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 06:33:18 PM »
I just finished my exams so I'll be making new levels soon :)

tseug

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 07:05:16 PM »
Wow this isn't moving at all... I think I'll make a few easy levels...

EDIT: Pack contains 2 levels.

Mossaic91

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 11:26:48 PM »
I made a couple of levels, not sure how tough they are to you guys http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=/M91.zip

tseug

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 10:16:49 PM »
One of the things I hate most about lemmings levels is when there is a long level, with a non-working exit at the end. There's no point in doing it again just for that one builder. :angry:

Mossaic91

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 09:13:43 PM »
If you were referring to one of my levels, which is it? So I can fix the problem.

tseug

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 09:36:31 PM »
I know it happened for the first one. I didn't try the second (but it probably needs fixing too). To fix it lower the exit so that it's x coordinate is a multiple of 4.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »
As I saw with Lemmix, the second level (Frame boiled lemming), the exit has a index of 18. I don't know custlemm, but in dos-lemmings objects above index 15 do not work.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
Yep. Your exit needs a Z-order of 15 or less or else it will be non-functional.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Mossaic91

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 04:30:02 AM »
Ahh, feels good to make new levels, I finally got those broken levels fixed, and added more levels to make 10 in all! Ranging from Fun to possibly Taxing or Mayhem.

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=levelpacks/moss91.dat

Enjoy!

TOG

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 04:10:45 AM »
Oops! I accidently uploaded togpak.dat into the main directory, but then put it into the levelpaks directory. Here is the link.

TOG

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 03:32:01 AM »
I guess that ccexplore's hack will be used for the final putting together of the Lemmings Remake? Also, does anyone know how many levels are to be used in the game so far?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
We barely have 20 to 30 levels, I believe.  I saved everything from the old topic at the old forums to my computer, I'll have to find and combine them with these.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »
I've been confused as to the purposes of this project for a while. It seems like just an excuse for people to make levels. But then why do we need this? People have been making levels and distributing them as levelpak.dats just fine.

I always thought it would be like some "best of" megapack with an effort of collaboration from everyone who makes levels. We have plenty more than the number of levels needed, but we could offer the best levels of many authors in a tight package with a good difficulty curve. Then, if people are interested in custom Lemmings levels, and have no idea what a levelpak is, and don't feel like going through and figuring out whose levels are too easy for them and whose are too hard for them, they could start off here and play a good selection of the levels we have to offer.

What's to say that the levels being created specifically for this project are better than other levels? I'm going to guess that most people making levels for this project are not recycling tricks from other authors' level packs (that are not used in original Lemmings or ONML). This means that for a new player venturing into the realm of custom levels, they will miss out on a lot of innovative levels by playing the remake. I don't mean to say that what people have created is not good, and I'm sure we could use some of these levels... But it's confusing to me why people are making levels for a project which is just like CustLemm levels except with a shiny package.

To me, the reason for the shiny package is obvious, to make it easier for people who may be interested in custom Lemmings levels (or even just *more* Lemmings levels) to get their fix. To make it easier to say "Download This!" and offer up an experience like the original Lemmings (as far as difficulty curve, etc. go).

What I've seen is people creating all-new levels, which people do anyway... but what would be more interesting is sifting through other level packs, finding the best, and fixing their flaws (obvious backroutes, etc.). The amount of work is significantly less, and the result for the new (to CustLemm) player who just wants a reliably good set of levels should be quite good...

Now, maybe I'm misguided, so I'll ask the people who have created levels for this project: how do you view the Lemmings remake?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »
I say that Shvegait's idea is good.  This would speed it up and allow for people to experience new lemmings levels without mucking about with levelpak.dat's.  However, we should include some of the levels that have already been made for this.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 07:15:04 PM »
Oh yes, I didn't mean not to include levels people have already created for this. :smiley:

TOG

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
I like the idea of Lemmings Remake (or whatever it's called) because there would 120 levels in a row, and I wouldn't have to switch it (the levelpak) out every ten levels I beat, and besides, with only 10 levels to go through, we wouldn't get to hear all the songs. And yes, It would have a shiny package, because it would look like the original... and personally I'd like that.

As long as the 120 levels in the Lemmings Remake are good, I don't care which ones they are.

STT

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 12:18:56 PM »
Well, I want at least some of mine published. I dunno. I'm currently working on some levels, and I may return to fix TwigPaks1-2 to cut the level of excess skills in them.

Are we going to have a credits listing who did what level?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 05:39:36 PM »
Are we going to have a credits listing who did what level?

Yeah! Of course.

And everyone who wants to be involved should have a couple of their levels in the project for sure.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 06:03:47 PM »
And is it an idea to use the Lemmix standalone player for this? I know there is no player yet, but I'm working on it. I'll need about two or three months and it's finished.
We could enhance the program with some of the extra features like replay.
Well I am going to make the player anyway so...

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 06:50:34 PM »
I don't think it matters either way, really. I mean the actual work of the project would be in deciding what levels go in and where. I remember ccexplore hacked Lemmings to use a more direct way of choosing levels so that we can do this with original Lemmings. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be able to be compatible with Lemmix, though, assuming you got the standalone player ready. One goal will be to make it as simple to set up for the end-user as possible. Lemmix is really nice in that it doesn't require DOSBox or an old machine.

At the same time we want to preserve "look and feel" I guess. But really this decision doesn't need to be made until everything is ready.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 08:58:42 PM »
Ya... I'd recommend collecting the 120 levels we want to use before we start worrying about logistics and the like. I quite like the "best of pack with a few new designs" idea that's been floated around here.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 06:17:04 PM »
So... The Lemmix Standalone Player is almost finished...
Now we need good levels.
I could adjust the levelloading mechanism for the remake.
We could make 4 or 5 sections with easy to difficult levels and then a last section with Expert levels.
We could have some extra vgaspec levels (maybe even use more colors).
I will create some easy, (hopefully) nice looking levels...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 07:56:07 AM »
Anyone out here...?    ere....    er......       e...?

This certainly is not going to work this way. How long is this thread running already
and what are the results until now? Which people are interested anyway?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 10:19:06 AM »
I am interested.

I believe we have yet to get past deciding what levels are to be included.  However, I like your Lemmix idea.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 12:04:57 PM »
Ok. If there are enough interested people, we could try to make extra music,sounds, terrains, objects.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 12:50:49 PM »
I'm interested, especially in sorting through older levels and nominating the good ones. However, I don't have much time right now, maybe soon though...

SeriousGamer

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 05:32:33 PM »
I'm interested too. If any of my cheapo levels get nominated. I'll be willing to rebuild them in lemmix.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2006, 05:38:54 PM »
For the already existing ones, it might be a good idea if just everybody suggests, say, about 40 levels (perhaps including one's own ones), and the most voted get into closer consideration.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 06:02:28 PM »
I'll think of some levels I'd like to see added, also.

And if anyone wants a Cheapo level of mine converted into Lemmix format, I'll see what I can do.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »
If everyone can live with a remake in Lemmix I could start with some preparations.
What about sectionnames? I read "Lame" somewhere and found that very funny.

English is not my native language so the sectionnames should be made other people than me.
So here some idea:

section 1: Lame
section 2: ......
section 3: ......
section 4: ......
section 5: maybe training levels for "glitches" to help solve section 6
section 6: levels of Tseug or ccexplore or Geo difficulty

I think we should gather all levels and other data at one place. Mindless..... ? Maybe? Please?
And how about a new graphics set?
I am a musician so maybe I could gather some music stuff. Or even create some.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
I thought we already decided that we weren't going to use glitch levels at all...

For category names, some possibilities include: cunning, chaos, insane, loony... I'm looking at thesaurus.com (on the Lemmings and ONML terms), but a lot of the synonyms are too long or don't sound right...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 07:22:20 PM »
Ok ok. I will read the old posts. I did not know....
I thought it would be nice to do that. Why not. But only in some extra sections.
Cunning sound good. Thinking of that: Stunning would be nice for section 6 :)

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2006, 09:08:13 PM »
I think we should still do a DOS version as well.  I mean, they're already in the right format.  Plus, I need something new to play when I'm forced onto my 486.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2006, 09:23:43 PM »
I think we should gather all levels and other data at one place. Mindless..... ? Maybe? Please?
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=cd&dir=remake

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2006, 10:22:49 PM »
If you want some category names, the ones I was using for my Cheapo sets were Simple, Quirky, Zany, Lunatic, Manic, Carnage. It's not looking like I'll ever get those finished now  :cry:  so feel free to take those over.....

tseug

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2006, 10:37:33 PM »

I think having training levels would be a good idea. Then the player will know all they need to solve levels involving glitches.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2006, 06:44:05 AM »
section 4: Cunning?
section 5: Training?
section 6: Stunning?

@KSoft: we could sections 5/6 only for the Lemmix version and keep the original order for the first 4 sections. Then it's 486-compatible.

Edit: Mindless thanks!
We can upload levels here and maybe some "master" textfile which describes the order of the contents?
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=cd&dir=remake

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2006, 08:34:24 PM »
section 4: Cunning?
section 5: Training?
section 6: Stunning?

I don't know about everyone else, but can we please not let Eric come up with the rating names for the remake?̆ :laugh: :tongue:

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2006, 10:43:27 PM »
He already said he didn't want to. Just post your ideas, ccexplore!

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2006, 06:16:45 AM »
Ok I quit

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2006, 07:00:26 PM »
English is not my native language so the sectionnames should be made other people than me.
So here some idea:

Incidentally, I came up with the same idea (4 normal + 1 glitches training + 1 glitches) some time ago. Quite like it, obviously, as there's some 'advanced topic' after having solved the 'normal' levels.

As for names for stages, it's very difficult, at least for me, to come up with some. I'd be fine with anything therefore, I suppose.

tseug

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2006, 09:28:05 PM »
As for names for stages, it's very difficult, at least for me, to come up with some. I'd be fine with anything therefore, I suppose.

Same here, and english is my native lanuage. I don't care what they end up as.

My attempt:
Section 1: Lame
Section 2: Puzzling
Section 3: Cunning
Section 4: Annoying
Section 5: Training
Section 6: Absurd

SeriousGamer

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2006, 09:33:19 PM »

Same here, and english is my native lanuage. I don't care what they end up as.

My attempt:
Section 1: Lame
Section 4: Annoying
Section 5: Training

Sounds good except for section 4. I don't think hard levels (or any levels) should be annoying. =P
How about "turmoil" for 4?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2006, 06:55:21 AM »
Just post your ideas, ccexplore!

I'm afraid I won't do much better.  I have to say of all the stuff I've seen so far, I like Nuntar's the best, although I still would like to use slightly different words, so that Nuntar can still have the names for his own set some day:

Simple, Quirky, Zany, Lunatic, Manic, Carnage

For the Lemmings Remake, I definitely don't want the easiest rating to be "Lame"; that would be the ONML Remake. :tongue: "Lame" also made it sound like we threw in a bunch of garbage to make up easy levels; that's hardly flattering to the level authors that contributed those levels, plus I think even for easy levels, there are room for other things to shine like the visuals, the titles, etc.

I also don't want the "glitch-training rating" (if we're doing one) to be "Training".  How about "Glitchy"?  Or perhaps something more indirect like "Quirky", "Wacky" etc.

--------

If I come up with something I like for one of the ratings I'll let you know.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »
"Puzzling", "Cunning" and "Absurd" aren't bad. How about "Berserk" for #4? As ccexplore suggests, "Wacky" works well for #5.... that just leaves #1, and I'm sure there must be more synonyms for "easy" floating around, or just use "Easy" itself!

SeriousGamer

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2006, 10:28:03 AM »
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/easy :tongue:

I like these:
trivial
basic
elementary
benign
tranquil

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2006, 11:43:42 AM »
Some creative (native English person) make new texts?
These are the ONML texts

ONML

Oh dear, not even one poor Lemming
saved. Try a little harder next time.

Yes, well, err, erm, maybe that is
NOT the way to do this level.

We are not too impressed with your
attempt at that level!

Getting close. You are either pretty
good, or simply lucky.

Shame, You were short by a tiny amount.
Go for it this time.

Just made it by the skin of your
teeth. Time to progress..

More than enough .You have the makings
of a master Lemmings player.

What a fine display of Lemmings control.
Take a bow then carry on with te game.

9. (if 100%)
WOW! You saved every Lemming.
TOTALLY EXCELLENT!

10. (When finished the last level)
Congratulations!
You are truly an Excellent
Lemmings player
The Lemmings Saga continues at a
later date, watch this space

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2006, 12:09:19 PM »
And a few other questions:
how many levels per section, 20 or 30?
Safe falldistance of 60 or 63?
What kind of level code system?
(we could just use a new system, like my current
quick and dirty randomly generated code system. which means that just 1 code will work for a level)

tseug

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2006, 04:41:50 PM »
http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/easy :tongue:

I like these:
trivial
basic
elementary
benign
tranquil

elementary sounds good.

So now we have:
Section 1: Elementary
Section 4: Berserk
Section 5: Wacky

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2006, 07:49:36 PM »
And a few other questions:
how many levels per section, 20 or 30?
Safe falldistance of 60 or 63?
What kind of level code system?
(we could just use a new system, like my current
quick and dirty randomly generated code system. which means that just 1 code will work for a level)

For the code system, a possible idea would be a (algorithmic) code system with codes consisting of readable syllables; that way you could remember the code with only looking once at the code list.

As for the Ratings, I find 'Elementary' quite suitable, but 'basic' isn't bad either, and it's shorter.

In general, should all (9 resp. 10) styles be allowed to be used or only the one ones for Lemmings resp. (in case we even get so far) ONML?

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2006, 07:53:44 PM »
I like "basic" because "elementary" would seem a bit cluttered compared to the other ratings on a graphic.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2006, 08:19:42 PM »
In general, should all (9 resp. 10) styles be allowed to be used or only the one ones for Lemmings resp. (in case we even get so far) ONML?

This is a good question as two models have been proposed. I feel that if we separate the remake into two parts, we will have to dilute in some sense the quality of the project, or perhaps it will never get finished. 220 levels is quite a lot. In the original Lemmings and to some extent ONML, many levels are introducing concepts and tricks for the first time. But to offer an experience on top of this, of course new concepts and tricks would be explored more fully. New levels that are very similiar to original Lemmings/ONML levels offer no value in my opinion (since people would be playing the remake *after* they played at least the original Lemmings, and probably ONML), so it would be more of a challenge to reach 220 now than when they were originally working on it... if that makes sense.

There could also be a problem in that some levels using original Lemmings terrain may build off levels based on ONML terrain (in terms of the tricks or concepts used), yet it would be impossible to order them in a proper way if the remakes were divided.

I think, though, that the route we take will become more clear when we decide which levels are eligible to be included. If we wind up with a ton of levels that we want to include (roughly equal in terms of which use orig. Lemmings vs. ONML graphics sets), it might make sense to divide the remake. If we see that it's best to trim them down to 120 (or 150 with 5 ratings - I remember ccexplore saying this was easily supportable), then maybe a combined remake would be best.

(By the way, what is "resp."? Actually I looked it up, and found this interesting link: Resp. and other non-existent English words. However, I still don't understand what you mean by it.)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »
Sorry for getting off topic now, but the article you provided is certainly interesting. I noticed this abbreviation a couple of times in a context similar to the German 'beziehungsweise (bzw.)' and therefore I thought it would be some kind of synonym for it.
In fact, the example
Classes A, B, and C will start their exams at 9.30, 10.00 and 10.30 respectively.
implies for me that I guessed the meaning of it correctly, however I don't know whether my version (i.e. the position of 'respectively' and the abbreviation 'resp.' itself) of this sentence would be gramatically correct:
They will start their exams at 10.00 respectively (resp.) 10.30.
or
Classes A and B will start their exams at 10.00 resp. 10.30.
I leave out the third element because I just realize that the sentence would sound somewhat strange with three elements.
I my first version, having assumed that it was ok that way, I even left out the subjects the times were related to, which is apparently even less correct. So did I in the sentence of mine you quoted.
A most likely grammatically correct version of it would be:
In general, should all 9 or 10 styles (not counting the XMas style or doing so respectively) be allowed to be used or only styles 0 - 4 and 5 - 8 for Lemmings and (in case we even get so far) ONML respectively?
Still sounds somewhat strange, so could some expert tell whether this is correct, and whether 'resp.' is a valid expression (which it doesn't seem to be)?

One interesting point is that the German 'beziehungsweise', according to the meaning its name implies, is even misused in German just standing for and/or, without a proper relation it should have (as it actually should mean 'each separately in the order mentioned' as well).

Overall, if you find grammatical mistakes (or errors?) in my postings, feel free to tell me, in fact, I'd appreciate that.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2006, 09:21:44 PM »
A most likely grammatically correct version of it would be:
In general, should all 9 or 10 styles (not counting the XMas style or doing so respectively) be allowed to be used or only styles 0 - 4 and 5 - 8 for Lemmings and (in case we even get so far) ONML respectively?

The first part of your sentence sounds very odd, you should probably drop "respectively" there and just say something like: "Should all 9 styles (10 counting Xmas)..." The second part of your sentence is the technically correct usage of respectively, but it still sounds odd, probably because of the parenthetical expression that comes in the way and the fact that it's a question. I'd rephrase it in some way like: "...or only the respective styles of each version?"

I would say, "Should all 9 styles (10 counting Xmas) be used in one combined remake, or should we make separate remakes for Lemmings and ONML, using only each version's respective styles?"

But you could say, "Should all 9 styles (10 counting the Xmas style) be allowed to be used, or only styles 0-4 and 5-8 for Lemmings and ONML, respectively?" I would avoid the parenthetical there if you wish to use "respectively".

Overall, if you find grammatical mistakes (or errors?) in my postings, feel free to tell me, in fact, I'd appreciate that.
I tend to ignore little mistakes, but the reason I pointed it out is because I didn't know at all what you meant. Actually I'd say the word "respectively" isn't used very often, which is probably why it is not usually abbreviated in English... But it's also used differently, which was the source of confusion.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2006, 08:21:40 AM »
So now we have:
Section 1: Elementary
Section 4: Berserk
Section 5: Wacky

Ah ha, we're definitely getting somewhere! :thumbsup:

I'm ok with either "Elementary" or "Basic", although I have to agree Basic is shorter and easier to fit into the screen.

I also think "Puzzling" and "Cunning" don't differentiate the difficulty of the two ratings enough, although if no one comes up with better alternatives, I'm happy with them.

STT

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
How about "Sane" for section 1?

I don't see any reason why all the GFX sets souldn't be included.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »
First off, hello :wink:

I play Lemmings using the windows version and this remake idea sounds very interesting. At the moment I have to decompress the level packs then insert each level separately into the game, which is rather tedious to say the least. Even more so when the level isn't solvable with the lower fall limit. To have all the best ones in one easily-playable place would be very nice indeed  :smiley:

I've just finished a 9-level set and uploaded it to the lemmings portal (SgBPack01). If there's anything there you'd like to use then great, no worries if not. They're probably Taxing-Mayhem I guess.

IMO all the graphic sets should be used, the more variety the better. No point limiting it and missing out on loads of good levels...

Anyway, good luck with this thing, it should be great when it's finally done. If I can help in any way I'll try, but I've not played nearly enough levels to be able to really recommend any.

tseug

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2006, 09:49:52 PM »
I've just finished a 9-level set and uploaded it to the lemmings portal (SgBPack01). If there's anything there you'd like to use then great, no worries if not. They're probably Taxing-Mayhem I guess.

Looks good. Just upload them to the "remake" section of the portal if you want them to be used.

What are we going to do for backroute checking?

Mossaic91

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2006, 02:59:53 AM »
Just uploaded 2 of my 10 level packs to the remake section of the file portal, the first one is the moss91 pack from the levelpaks section, but the second one has new levels. None of them are Oh No! style however.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2006, 09:34:29 PM »
I didn't want to post only off topic again, and apparently overlooked tseug's comment, so this posting appears a little later than it was actually supposed to do. Erm, anyways...

I agree, SgB's levels look very good, I wouldn't sort any of those below Mayhem, for sure! I had a short glance at them, and while giving every one a few tries, I only solved the first one by now. I like them very much. :thumbsup:
Btw, I know the Winlemm process for trying new levels. I think there's a LevelAdder somewhere out there, but there's still a lot of differences in the mechanics of WinLemm. My recommendation for now would be using EricLang's Lemmix with its PlayTest feature. Or alternatively, requiring you at least renaming the packs and partly typing in codes for half of the levels if you don't solve the previous one, using CustLemm.

As for backroutes, I think the ones of easy and medium difficulty are not too hard to check for backroutes by the respective authors themselves; the more difficult ones however, whether they are new creations or not, should be extensively checked by the players here, and fixed if necessary, as this seems to be the only possibility to get aware of backroutes I see for now.

Back off topic, grammar talk:
The first part of your sentence sounds very odd, you should probably drop "respectively" there and just say something like: "Should all 9 styles (10 counting Xmas)..." The second part of your sentence is the technically correct usage of respectively, but it still sounds odd, probably because of the parenthetical expression that comes in the way and the fact that it's a question. I'd rephrase it in some way like: "...or only the respective styles of each version?"

I would say, "Should all 9 styles (10 counting Xmas) be used in one combined remake, or should we make separate remakes for Lemmings and ONML, using only each version's respective styles?"

But you could say, "Should all 9 styles (10 counting the Xmas style) be allowed to be used, or only styles 0-4 and 5-8 for Lemmings and ONML, respectively?" I would avoid the parenthetical there if you wish to use "respectively".
With that overly complicated sentence I was sort of trying to explain/justify my thoughts why I had used repectively in that case. Thanks for your suggestions anyway, sounds a lot better than any of my previous versions.

I tend to ignore little mistakes, but the reason I pointed it out is because I didn't know at all what you meant. Actually I'd say the word "respectively" isn't used very often, which is probably why it is not usually abbreviated in English... But it's also used differently, which was the source of confusion.
Ok, thanks for clarifying this. Again, learnt something new.  :laugh:
Anyway, I don't mind any correction of my mistakes, on little side notes maybe, as it can only help improve my English.

tseug

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2006, 11:11:14 PM »
I looked through SgB's pack, and managed to do all except for level 3. My first idea didn't work so I skipped it. :winktounge: I think my solutions to half of the ones I did were backroutes... for the remake it would help if the author of any levels taxing/mayhem included the solutions in some form.

EDIT: I did level 3. No backroutes that I could find... (unless my solution was, which I doubt)

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2006, 12:06:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments, glad you like them :smiley:.

I was worried there'd be some backroutes in there somewhere. I removed what I could find but I obviously didn't check hard enough.

tseug, I don't suppose you could PM me the levels you think you've backrouted and your solutions? I'll try to get them ironed out if and when you do.

Cheers.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice geoo89. The play-test in Lemmix doesn't work at the moment on my PC, the paths are set wrong and I'd need to move a everything around. Think I'll have a go tomorrow and see if I can fix it.

tseug

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2006, 12:07:43 AM »
Is it ok if I just send you Lemmix replays? (that would have to be email though)

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2006, 12:12:16 AM »
As I've just edited in my previous post, I'm having a little trouble with Lemmix at the moment. I'll PM you my e-mail anyway and try to get it sorted.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2006, 12:05:58 PM »
Just when I thought I'd had it worked out and managed to get the play test to work, it won't load the replays...

'invalid replay header different mechanics'

Anyone know what I've done wrong?

tseug

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2006, 02:56:04 PM »
You have the wrong style loaded. Set the style to custom lemmings and it should work. You have to specify a path to the custlemm directory.

EDIT: It should work if you just open the pack.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2006, 04:44:25 PM »
Cheers, it's all working now :cool:

Looks like all of they can all be easily fixed. Not sure how I didn't see the one on the fourth level, but a bit of steel will solve that. Likewise the last one. The others just need me to fix some of the steel and traps so they actually work. The triggers areas seem to be slightly different compared the windows version. Anyway, I'll get them done and re-uploaded a.s.a.p.

Thanks again.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »
I like the idea of Geo to have codes that are easy to put in human Short Time Memory.
A code like UDUJOZALAB is easier to "see" then FIQUWDSLHO.
Anyone *against* this idea and/or against just one code working for each level?
Codes will then look like:
Code: [Select]
    UDUJOZALAB
    MUQESAQUYI
    BELOHEDOTU
    MIBEVIBAWA
    EVIYAXIWAF

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »

I don't know, it still looks like a random jumble of letters to me; the alternating vowel-consonant pattern is hardly noticeable for someone not looking for it.

I think what we really want are codes actually composed of real English words.̆ It's not hard to write the program to generate such codes, just that we need a reasonably long list of common English words to base the codes off from.̆ Presumably this list can be created using a program to pick words off from various web pages or the like, such as...posts from this board. :wink:

I'm also assuming this is strictly for the Lemmings & ONML Remake project only.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2006, 10:09:36 PM »

I don't know, it still looks like a random jumble of letters to me; the alternating vowel-consonant pattern is hardly noticeable for someone not looking for it.
But codes you can actually pronounce are easier to remember than random strings of letters. I can still remember codes like OLIGEKONIK (19 Mayhem), BINONGIIFO (26 Tricky) and NILEOGADIV (9 Mayhem) and I never actually tried to memorise them......

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2006, 11:04:01 PM »
But codes you can actually pronounce are easier to remember than random strings of letters.<snip>

How do you pronounce BKNONGIIFO?̆ :tongue:

(Then again, in some languages like Georgian, "GVBRDYVNIS" is a word.)

No doubt that'll work for some people, but I'm skeptical of its general effectiveness.̆ I still think word-based concatenations are a better way to go, if we're even bothering with level codes for the remakes.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2006, 01:35:15 AM »
Reminds me of the codes for Worms 2. All words, but more than that... all the level codes put together formed a story. Not that I'm advocating that, but it was funny...

tseug

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2006, 03:05:33 AM »
Why not just use random letter codes, but shorter? Four letters yield 456976 different codes... which is plenty.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »
How do you pronounce BKNONGIIFO?  :tongue:

Typo  :tongue:

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2006, 03:53:42 PM »
The codes in Lemmings 3D are all real (and uncommon) words...

I also know that VPRTSKNDI is a valid word in Georgian... :laugh:

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »
Just finished fixing my pack and tried uploading it, but I can't overwrite the old one on the portal. I've saved it with a slightly different name for now, but could someone who can please delete the old one? Cheers.

Regarding passwords, four random letters seems the best way to me. Nice and short, and easy to remember.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2006, 09:32:38 PM »
Just finished fixing my pack and tried uploading it, but I can't overwrite the old one on the portal. I've saved it with a slightly different name for now, but could someone who can please delete the old one? Cheers.
It's a security measure.  :wink:  Old pack deleted.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2006, 06:21:52 AM »
Regarding passwords, four random letters seems the best way to me. Nice and short, and easy to remember.

But... but... what if you want more than 456976 levels?! :shocked:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »

I've solved now all of your levels as well, a couple of my solutions look backroute-ish though.
I can send you my Lemmix demos, just give me your e-mail address. Neat levels, I confirm.

As for passwords, another simple method could be just taking the first 10 letters of the level titles, that way, if you remember the name, you can easily associate the password with it. However, one problem is, that it has to be made sure that no two levels have the same first 10 letters, and for levels with less than 10 letters, the spaces should be filled somehow.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2006, 09:39:03 PM »
I like that idea as well. Empty spaces could probably just be left as underscores or have the last/first letters repeated. Including the difficulty level would help solve the same-name problem, obviously assuming the two levels aren't placed in the same set and two sets don't share the same first letter :wink:

FJUSTDIG__
FJUSTDIGGG
FJUSTDIGJU

Maybe even include a reference to the level creator if two people have used the same name and they're both of similar difficulty, although that would make them (slightly) harder to remember.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2006, 03:33:24 AM »
Just talking about that, I remember perfectly the code for the MENACING!!! level. The code is simple to remember:

HOLICMOMEW
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »
I like that idea as well. Empty spaces could probably just be left as underscores or have the last/first letters repeated.

Or, it could simply ignore all letters after the portion that matches, so JUSTDIGXXX will work no matter what letters you put in for each of the 3 X's.  They can even be left blank.

STT

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2006, 04:35:20 AM »
How about we just leave the codes as they are (of course, change it a bit so they're not the same codes as the other lemmings games.)

The best way to remember a code is with pencil + paper. Besides, someone is bound to load a txt file somewhere with all the codes.

Lets just start compling a list of levels to put in it, and off and go.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2006, 04:56:33 AM »
The best way to remember a code is with pencil + paper.

I personally keep track of the codes using the very same method back when I played Lemmings, and I'm sure many people do the same (or perhaps use a computer instead of paper and pencil).

Still, there's something to be said for levelcodes that lessens the hassle of paper and pencil (which can sometimes be lost over the years).  The idea of basing the codes off the level name has the interesting advantage that, you are more likely to remember the level names of levels that interest you, and you are more likely to want to replay those levels anyway, so it all works out.

And yes, let's figure out which levels to include first.  :wink:

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »
How about we just leave the codes as they are (of course, change it a bit so they're not the same codes as the other lemmings games.)

The best way to remember a code is with pencil + paper. Besides, someone is bound to load a txt file somewhere with all the codes.

I agree 100%.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2006, 08:03:57 AM »
I'll start to write some code for the Remake.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »
I posted some levels in the other forum; how would i get them considered for the remake? Do I have to put them in a .dat file?

TOG

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2006, 04:15:05 AM »
Too lazy to read it all...

Appoximately how many levels are in the remake so far?

STT

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2006, 08:26:13 AM »
Currently ten have been submitted, but not processed and placed. All mine ;).

Thread for placing of levels:
http://www.ksoftgames.idiotstudios.net/lemmings/index.php?topic=129.0

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2006, 08:22:03 AM »
1) Do we want other "post-game-texts"?
2) We need 6 bitmaps for the 6 sections. How are we going to organize this?

STT

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2006, 08:36:25 AM »
1) Dunno what your talking about. Me stupid.  :winktounge:
2) I suggest that we take use the same method that we're using to decide the other levels. (See Level List order Thread. - to lazy to link)

And my own q.
3) Soud he have 180 levels? That's a lot easier number to play with than 160. I'm sure we'll have no probs filling the 20 extra slots.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2006, 11:24:09 AM »
I think for 1) Eric means the messages you get when you finish a level (and also the message when you beat the game).

3) I think 120 for regular mode (this could be put into DOS Lemmings easily) then +60 glitch levels (Lemmix-only extension) would not be a problem (total 180). 60 glitch sounds a little high, but keep in mind there would be some glitch training levels included.

TOG

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2006, 04:31:29 PM »
Has the modified executable of Lemmings been created?

Just wondering if the levels are the only things left to be done... besides the messages at the end of the level.

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2006, 12:07:59 AM »
As some or most of you know, some of my levels aren't very good in some people's opinions.

I think that the best way for me to get one or a few of my levels suggested in the Lemmings Remake is to have other members suggest me levels. This would be much better than having myself doing it, as I do not like sugesting levels that are quite boring or excessive using of a skill.

Would the members that have attempted or fully played my levels be the ones to suggest my levels?

This would be appreciated by both myself and other participants of the Lemmings Remake.

NOTE: Previously, I was not able to use Lemmix to create/modify my levels. Nobody could even play my levels using Lemmix!
EricLang has helped me fixed this (thankyou Eric and well done on Lemmix!), and now I have allowed Lemmix to open/create/play all of my levels in my big pack!

Everyone can now try my levels using Lemmix. If you want a copy of the new version, let me know and I will post it onto the file portal or send it to you.

Tim.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2006, 12:38:28 AM »
The executable is not ready yet. I have worked on it, however.
1. The level loading system. Do we keep the dos original order? Then it would be possible to play it with the original version as well, except the last 2 sections, which we build on top of it.
2. Can we agree on a new levelcode system? The one i mentioned somewhere: random codes with vowels and non-vowels alternated?
3. The new texts.
4. 6 bitmaps for the level-sections.

I'll try and upload a testversion soon.

TOG

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2006, 02:55:12 AM »
Perhaps I don't have much say in this, and I would understand if I didn't, but here's what I have to say anyway...

In response to 1: Unless it is considerably more work, I think it would be better to make the levels load in order (level000.dat has levels 1 through 10).

In response to 2: The code being vowels and non-vowels alternated seems fine to me.

In response to 3: Do you already have the messages in mind?

In response to 4: Are you making those?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2006, 03:25:01 PM »
1. neither is very much work. 15 minutes work.
2. ok
3. Nope. But not much work either. 30 minutes work.
4. Nope. Only if no one is making them :)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »
Busy with remake executable.
Anybody against a lineair level system?
This means that the 6 sections with its 30 levels each will be in this order, each file contains 10 levels.

Basic 1 - LEVEL000.DAT - nr 1
Basic 2 - LEVEL000.DAT - nr 2
Basic 3 - LEVEL000.DAT - nr 3
Basic 10 - LEVEL001.DAT - nr 1
Puzzling 1 - LEVEL003.DAT - nr 1

and so on until LEVEL017.DAT - nr 10

(hope it is clear)

STT

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2006, 05:24:23 AM »
Linear seems the easiest to work with.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2006, 06:12:41 AM »
Basic 10 - LEVEL001.DAT - nr 1
Except Basic 10 would be stored in either LEVEL000.DAT - nr 10 or LEVEL001.DAT - nr 2, depending on whether we have 10 or 8 levels per pack.  :tongue:

STT

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »
10 is better there as well. It is a round number, and makes three packs per section ---> easy

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2006, 06:52:03 PM »
Except Basic 10 would be stored in either LEVEL000.DAT - nr 10 or LEVEL001.DAT - nr 2, depending on whether we have 10 or 8 levels per pack.̆ :tongue:

Back when I modified Lemmings for the remake, one modification was to the game take 10 levels per pack rather than 8.   It works fine and is certainly much more convenient when the time comes to assembling the levels into levelpaks.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2006, 09:52:23 AM »
Executable more or less ready.
I need some advice (advise?) on which files to distribute with the player.
And another thing: can I put amixture of original lemmingsfiles for download at my homepage or is this illegal?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2006, 01:49:23 PM »
I need some advice (advise?) on which files to distribute with the player.
And another thing: can I put amixture of original lemmingsfiles for download at my homepage or is this illegal?

Basically, whoever owns the rights to Lemmings has not been enforcing their copyright on Lemmings.  (We're not quite sure if Sony actually owns the rights to Lemmings or not, but we'll assume they do.)  As long as you don't charge money, you aren't likely to draw attention from Sony's lawyers.
In a worst case scenario, they would probably threaten to sue you before taking any action.  At that point, you could remove the files and they would be happy.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »
Psygnosis owned the trademark to Lemmings. Now Psygnosis was bought out in 1993 by Sony, and dropped the brand in 1999 in favour of the more sterile SCE Studios Liverpool. While SCE Studios Liverpool haven't actually made any new Lemmings titles, their trademark portfolio has been added to that of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Presumably the new PSP/PS2 games were made by development haus Team17 under license for SCEE.

Of course, the practical upshot of all this is that SCEE does not produce games for non-Sony platforms. And (as much as they enjoy suing everyone just to prove they don't have a PR department), I highly doubt they'd threaten a lawsuit for the sake of "protecting" a game that's a decade and a half old on a platform they don't care about.

« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »
I highly doubt they'd threaten a lawsuit for the sake of "protecting" a game that's a decade and a half old on a platform they don't care about.

One question remains - will they see this as protection?

One question regarding the project itself: Is there a set team for this? If not, I may do some work on this eventually, once I improve my level-making skills, but, at this point, my stuff is not yet on high-end difficulty. (Or, perhaps, it only seems this way because I'm examining the file in development.)

Generally speaking, this is quite interesting, and I can't wait to see how this progresses. Oh, alright, fine, I can, but maybe not for long...

Also:
4. 6 bitmaps for the level-sections.
Perhaps I could work on those, if nobody else has that handled yet.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2006, 04:52:58 AM »
Basically, whoever owns the rights to Lemmings has not been enforcing their copyright on Lemmings.  (We're not quite sure if Sony actually owns the rights to Lemmings or not, but we'll assume they do.)  As long as you don't charge money, you aren't likely to draw attention from Sony's lawyers.

I'm not so sure that money has anything to do with it.  Wasn't Peter Spada also "threatened" by Psygnosis when he made the first Copycat Lemmings clone?  I'm pretty sure he didn't charge for that.

It is true though that they generally give you the "cease and desist" order before actually taking legal action, for the obvious reason that lawsuits cost $$$.

Like Mindless, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2006, 11:40:53 AM »
Yeah.  And anyway, that Copycat thing was years ago, when Lemmings was comparably bigger.

2112, I don't believe there's a set team for this-- it's just a community effort.

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2006, 06:18:59 PM »
2112, I don't believe there's a set team for this-- it's just a community effort.

Alright. I think I know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
Finally hoping to contribute something again to the remake....
I uploaded all needed data to The Lemmings File Portal:

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=remake/remake_0600.zip

- I included LEVEL000.DAT - LEVEL017.DAT. Each file contains 10 empty levels.
With Lemmix we can start to move user-made levels to these files with the Levelpack editor in Lemmix or maybe with LemEdit. How, Who, When....?

To play and edit with Lemmix, its ini-file has to be extended to support the "remake-style". Soon I will upload this on my website and also post it here.

- The executable is called LemmxPlayerRemake.exe, which is rather long.

- Cursor only works when running Win2000 or higher

A few points I can think of:

1. Which game-mechanics are going to be used? (This is important also for the ini-file in Lemmix). Probably CustLemm mechanics are the most convenient. Currently the mechanics of "DOS Ohno More Lemmings" are used.

2. The six temporary bitmaps for the level-sections are quick creations of me. In the final release these bitmaps are going to be included in the executable. Any creative person around here?

I have been off lemmings for a while. If something does not work properly, or there are any questions please let me know.

Eric

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2007, 05:17:52 PM »
Nice one Eric! :thumbsup:

With regard to the bitmaps; how's this for a quick cut-and-paste job? I'm sure there must someone here who's good with graphics and can do a better job, but I think it turned out fairly well. (click to enlarge)

How's everyone doing on the level-searching front? Was it ever decided how the levels would be chosen in the end? I saw the wiki that was made but noone seems to be using it... ???

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »
I think Im a bit slow to ask this, but will there be any special soundtrack or new songs  for the Remake at all?

Tim.

P.S. Is there going to be one level per person that has made some to go in the remake list?

Ok Im definitely slow. I know that last question has been answered in previous threads/replies. Dang.

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2007, 02:24:57 AM »
Regarding the bitmaps, it depends on what we're going for, stylistically; do we want the old style of writing still, or are we planning on something different?

And, for inserting levels, I can probably do that. According to the wiki, we only have a few levels. Is this accurate? If not, do I need to do anything special to get a level I created added? (I'm working on a handful of levels right now.)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2007, 04:11:03 AM »
We have a lot of levels, though not a lot of selection and organization has been done as of yet.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2007, 05:41:01 AM »
We have a lot of levels, though not a lot of selection and organization has been done as of yet.

Ah. Well, then.

I assume we don't have all the spaces filled? If so, what spaces remain unfilled/un-reserved for levels?

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2007, 01:24:54 PM »
As Steve said not much has been done so far with selecting which levels to include, so until that gets started properly all the spaces are still unfilled as far as I know.

Going back to the bitmaps again, I've shown these to EricLang but since you mentioned it I'll post them here. Nothings been decided yet, but I made a few using the original style just to see how they looked. If people want to go with something different (or want to make something better :P) then that's fair enough of course.

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=remakecunningep0.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=remakewackycn5.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=remakeabsurdyz5.jpg

« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Alright. That helps. I've got one level done for this.

Actually, those are pretty good. I think we'll be sticking with that.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2007, 09:46:05 PM »
I will use the pictures of SgB. I will make a list of questions, which still are unanswered in this thread regarding the remake.

Leviathan

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »
I finally found the forum again...
I'll be creating new levels soon :)

STT

« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2007, 06:30:33 AM »
Anything new?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »
It seems not... dead place again. Too bad with the original forum working again :(

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »
Busy with school...   :( We do need to complete this sometime though... I still have the files for the progress on the database I made, but just got swamped with other things...

Mossaic91

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »
Dang, I need to get back to work on levels again!

TOG

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2007, 05:32:36 PM »
I'm a bit confused...

Why aren't the levels organized? Is this the only thing left to do? Am I allowed to throw my own levels into the wiki? Are we using the wiki? Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really like to see this project finished... It would be fun to play all the new levels without having to switch ten out each time for CustLemm.

I personally like the lemmings music (one of the main reasons why I like the game)... so I don't think we need new music, but that might just be me.

One last thing, I personally feel the menu screen should just be left the way it is. There's no real need to make a picture is there? We only need five bitmaps for the five sections, right? And maybe I know this next question sounds stupid, but what are glitch levels?

STT

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2007, 09:54:33 AM »
Levels that require glitches to pass (such as clibling through terrian, etc.)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2007, 11:33:58 PM »
I just had a search for the Lemmings page on the Wikia site, but I didn't find the right one. Can anyone show me where it is please?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2007, 01:30:26 AM »
So what's up with that remake? Nice work for the menu Eric!

I would be glad to include my levels as the easiest ones in your remake if you want. After a long time, I'm back to Lemmings. I did play the game again entirely under Steem and completed it in 3 days. Now I'm with ONML. Anyway, back to the remake.

Quote from: timfoxxy_236
I think Im a bit slow to ask this, but will there be any special soundtrack or new songs  for the Remake at all?

I could try to create some in MIDIs if you want.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2007, 02:51:14 AM »
Quote from: timfoxxy_236

I suggested that we picked some easily recognized video games (eg. Mario) and create special levels based on graphics of those video games (if not bitmaps of actual levels lifted from the actual game), in which case we would use the music of said video games.  MIDIs of music from popular video games are quite abundant and can be found at www.vgmusic.com.

Of course that's just my idea; we can go with other ideas for special levels, or possibly no special levels at all.  New songs (for any levels, not just the special graphics ones) are also possible, but as we are going to reuse most of the songs from the old games (Lemmings and ONML), we'd need to make sure the new songs "fit" with the old ones in terms of style and mood, say.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2007, 02:06:41 AM »
Most of the songs of Lemmings are based on Classical musics. Why not taking more Classical musics (the only problem is... which ones, there are so many of them)?

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2007, 03:33:25 AM »
I'd be more than willing to make a Mario themed level for the remake (seeing how I do have a Mario style for Cheapo...) -- maybe it'll be my first original level in forever.  :undecided:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2007, 10:58:13 PM »
Hey. Is this thread becoming alive again? Would be nice. Sounds like there are some good new ideas....

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2007, 11:21:21 PM »
It looks like we are getting back into the flow of the remake topic again, however it still seems a bit 'all over the place' with our ideas. Im not sure. I guess I am just not that experienced with new graphics sets or even the cheapo stuff.

TOG

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2007, 01:07:04 AM »
Why do we need new "musics?" I thought the Lemmings Remake was pretty much just throw new levels into the original lemmings game format... But I guess not.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2007, 11:05:41 AM »
Yeah, we should definitely use the original music. I think if we did a special level, then of course those could have special music from the game the level is from.

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2007, 12:02:47 AM »
I thought the same thing, TOG, and strangely I dedicated alot of time to creating my own pack of 100 levels and decided to place them in the lemmings portal for everyone to try out. Unfortunately, it got to the point when people started complaining about repetitive use of the builder and not alot of skill variety.

I did begin to make a 2nd pack, but other games crossed my mind and eventually I forgot about making new levels.

So I dunno if anyone has seen any of my levels they wouldve liked to add to the remake, but I dont even know if I will make more levels or not...

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2007, 01:01:07 PM »
So you're using Lemmix for the remake?

I've remade three of my cheapo levels(with some changes, ranging from very little beyond cosmetic appearance in the first, to a mostly new solution but almost identical layout in the third), but I don't know how well they'll work in Lemmix.

Here is the download. They are all in LVL format, and I've also included BMP images of the levels:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LTDI3LCY

***WARNING: SPOILERS FOR SOLUTIONS MAY FOLLOW FOR FOLLOWING THREE LEVELS***
Lemmings Plus 1: Return of the T
Ultimate Challenge 2: Death in all Directions
Lemmings Plus 3: To The End!

The first one should be easily adaptable - depending on bridge-from-dig mechanics and bridge physics, a small piece near the end may need to be moved to keep it possible. It is possible as is in the Windows version, haven't tried DOS. As the design is slightly different to the Cheapo version, this comparison is not entirely useful, but it is possible in Cheapo version.

The second one cannot be beaten in the Windows version due to how interactions between multiple diggers are handled. This problem does not occur in Cheapo, and the trick required can be successfully pulled off. (It is not a cheap trick, just one that may be inobvious at first. Apart from the two points where this trick is needed, the rest of the level works fine.

The third one is very differently solved than the cheapo original, so I cannot compare to that. However, this one does require a direct build-from-climb (at the most, one or two pixels later will still work), and it is very tight on the time limit(in the Windows version, I cannot finish with more than one second remaining), so if the timing of everything isn't perfectly in sync with the Windows version, then this level will either become slightly(or majorly, depending on how out of sync it is) easier, or the time limit may need to be increased to 3 minutes, which certianly will kill a lot (but not all) of the difficulty. I also changed the name of this level as it is too different from the original to keep the same name.

***END SPOILERS HERE***

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2007, 06:22:43 AM »
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=remake/jihoon1.zip

Contains all those three plus two more. One is just a fun level which I didn't intend to be hard, in a way it can be compared to All The 6's, except that it contains a much less controversial number(42 - answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, as some may know), and the whole level isn't designed entirely around that number (instead, the number appears in the level, and all skills, lemmings, save%, etc are 42 as usual).

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=remake/jihoon1sol.zip

The intended solutions, if anyone wants to check for backroutes.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2007, 10:41:04 AM »
Has anyone actually been going through the old levels and making lists of those to include? I started a while ago and can hopefully get on with it again soon and get a proper list sorted.

If this thing is ever going to get done we at least need some sort of shortlist to build on from, however small it may be to start with. At the moment it's still really no further on than it's ever been, (unless I've missed something somewhere...) :(

STT

« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2007, 04:26:55 AM »
BUMPAGE... anything new?

STT

« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
BUMPAGE!
RAWR, like the changes guys. Anything new?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2007, 11:23:43 AM »
I would assume no.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »
If college weren't so busy I may have a hand in trying to organize this, except that a lot of people initially involved in this project as suddenly missing...

which is the main reason this hasn't gone anywhere in the first place.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

BulletRide

« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
if any one is starting this up again let me know. i would like to make some lvls for this. Unfortunatly i doubt it will by the lack of recent responses, what a shame  :cry:

flowingriver854

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2007, 04:56:05 PM »
I would appreciate any help on this matter. I played (addicted to) Lemmings years ago on Windows 95. Today I have a new HP sytem with Vista. If I dig up my disk in storage from years ago, will it play on Vista? If not, is there a current computer game version for sale that is Vista compatible? Please advise so I may enjoy Lemmings again. ThANKS!

BulletRide

« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2007, 07:39:31 PM »
U can download 'lemmix', a lemmings clone from

http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/lemmix.htm

you can also get the level editor from there as well