Author Topic: Doom levels  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Doom levels
« on: March 06, 2021, 07:28:00 PM »
Hi everyone!

So one set of games that I design levels for, besides Lemmings, is the original Doom games, namely Doom II.  I'm still getting to grips with making levels that are beautiful to look at, as compatible as possible with the original DOS executables (and not just source ports) and are fair despite their difficulty, and not based so much on blind luck.

I've got 2 complete levels so far, although I'm still polishing them up where I can (specifically, I may need help at some point to develop some nice 'curtain' textures, since I have a placeholder for a closed curtain in MAP19 of the attached WAD below).

I would love feedback if you're up for it.  Find attached my first two levels and their supporting files (as a standard WAD file).  Note that my levels take the slots of map 6 and map 19, so you will need to type IDCLEV06 and IDCLEV19 to actually play them once you enter a game.  Enjoy!

NOTE: These levels are not easy.  Even if you've completed the original games on Ultra-Violence, I would recommend playing these on Hurt Me Plenty first (I think John Romero made the same recommendation for this recent Sigil episode).

UPDATED - SEE BELOW
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:02:21 PM by Crane »

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
Re: Doom levels
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 02:45:42 AM »
Finally got around to trying out these levels on Hurt Me Plenty because I'm not good :P Overall I enjoyed them very much :thumbsup: Here's some more detailed feedback below:

Map 6 (click to show/hide)

Map 19 (click to show/hide)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 08:55:42 PM »
Thank you for your feedback!  I'm glad I have some potential!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't wait to see your video playthroughs!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:01:29 PM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 05:01:57 PM »
Thanks to a friend whom I commissioned to make some textures, I have updated map 19 to include them.

EXTRA UPDATE: The intermission screens now have the correct level names!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:31:09 AM by Crane »