Author Topic: General Hints for solving levels  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
General Hints for solving levels
« on: August 21, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
I'm far from the best solver and the advice is tailored to my way of thinking but following some general hints/ways of thinking that helped me solve tricky levels:

Hint 1 (Problem focusing) (click to show/hide)
Hint 2 (Openness) (click to show/hide)
Hint 3 (Rethinking) (click to show/hide)
Hint 5 (Skill management) (click to show/hide)

Your mileage may vary on any of these ones but I thought it can be helpful to share them and bring them to discussion if there is inclination to.

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
Re: General Hints for solving levels
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
Those are all good hints for general problem solving - many are ideas I try to consider when stuck. Linked with skill management, I'd also add that working backwards can help - if you know you can solve a level by getting all lix to a particular place then the problem turns into "how do I get there" and is simplified.

The one I am worst at dealing with is spending ages pursuing a red herring path that almost but not quite works.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Re: General Hints for solving levels
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 09:00:29 PM »
The one I am worst at dealing with is spending ages pursuing a red herring path that almost but not quite works.

I know this problem, unfortunately even intended solutions can theoretically get tight on timing or skills. Sometimes I went full terrier on a solution path and found backroutes by squeezing the last bit out.