Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Styles cleanup  (Read 945 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC][PLAYER] Styles cleanup
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
So, it seems when pieces that are in the wrong styles get moved to the right one, issues occur for some people, even though it works fine for others.

I strongly suspect the cause here is always that some people are ignoring advice to always set up a new, clean copy of NeoLemmix with all new major versions. I know for sure this has been the cause in at least some cases. (ie: You can overwrite 12.8.0 to upgrade to 12.8.1 or 12.8.2 etc; but when 12.9.0 comes, it should be a fresh setup, perhaps copying your Settings, Replays and Levels folder - but in particular not your Styles folder (if you have WIP or unreleased styles, copy *only* those individual ones) - across.)

Even in the case of experimental builds that say "install over existing stable version", this should be over a clean copy of the existing stable version.

This advice isn't given to make things difficult; it's because it's the easiest way to avoid version-incompatibility issues.

Firstly - to avoid this, I'll be implementing code in NeoLemmix to try and detect when people have ignored the "fresh install" advice. It won't outright prevent NeoLemmix working, but it will display a warning. Not debating this, especially given that it will just be a warning, not an outright blockade.

That aside though - any remaining cases that need to get moved to the right style, I want to do the rest of this all in one go so that it's over and done with, one round of cleanup, and we never have to worry about it again.

So - if you are aware of ANY cases where pieces are in the wrong style, let me know. For example, if there are pieces that have been added to a style without the approval of the style's authors (or that were approved at the time because it was prior to style-mixing being possible, but can now be seperated out); or if there are duplicate pieces that need de-duplication, or pieces that should belong in a different style (eg. moving the (anti)splat pads from namida_wasteland to default has been proposed). Let's try to get as many remaining cases of it as possible done before or alongside 12.9.0's release, so that we don't have to worry much about it again after that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:51:26 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)