Author Topic: Weird glitch in Lemmings Revolution  (Read 6734 times)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
Weird glitch in Lemmings Revolution
« on: November 24, 2005, 05:53:28 AM »
I mentioned in the Challenge thread a few days ago that I am playing through Lemmings Revolution and recording my high scores, so I can post them later on. &#A0;Anyway, while playing the game tonight, I have noticed a very weird glitch.

Some of you may already know that if you give the lemming the Bomber skill, then make him do something else right before he explodes, he will carry on with his new task instead of exploding. &#A0;I frequently remove blockers using this technique. &#A0;Tonight, I discovered that the same principle works even if the lemming is climbing. &#A0;I gave a lemming the Bomber skill just before he started climbing a wall, and when the countdown reached zero, I made him a Basher. &#A0;Instead of exploding, the lemming began bashing through the wall that he was previously climbing.

Later on, I tried to use the same techinque on another level, but it didn't work -- the game wouldn't let me assign the Basher skill! &#A0;:o &#A0;After experimenting a little bit, I discovered that this trick works only if the lemming was heading right to begin with. &#A0;It doesn't work if he lemming was heading left. :-?

It seems weird to me that the success in executing this particular trick depends on the direction in which the lemming is heading. &#A0;I have run across several glitches in Lemmings Revolution now, but this one is the weirdest one yet.

Lomay

Re: Weird glitch in Lemmings Revolution
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 09:25:51 PM »
Quote from: LemSteven link=1132811608/0#0 date=1132811608
I mentioned in the Challenge thread a few days ago that I am playing through Lemmings Revolution and recording my high scores, so I can post them later on. &#A0;Anyway, while playing the game tonight, I have noticed a very weird glitch.

Some of you may already know that if you give the lemming the Bomber skill, then make him do something else right before he explodes, he will carry on with his new task instead of exploding. &#A0;I frequently remove blockers using this technique. &#A0;Tonight, I discovered that the same principle works even if the lemming is climbing. &#A0;I gave a lemming the Bomber skill just before he started climbing a wall, and when the countdown reached zero, I made him a Basher. &#A0;Instead of exploding, the lemming began bashing through the wall that he was previously climbing.

Later on, I tried to use the same techinque on another level, but it didn't work -- the game wouldn't let me assign the Basher skill! &#A0;:o &#A0;After experimenting a little bit, I discovered that this trick works only if the lemming was heading right to begin with. &#A0;It doesn't work if he lemming was heading left. :-?

It seems weird to me that the success in executing this particular trick depends on the direction in which the lemming is heading. &#A0;I have run across several glitches in Lemmings Revolution now, but this one is the weirdest one yet.
that is a Weird glitch through.

Conway

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 02:40:07 AM »
There's also a direction-specific glitch in Lemmings/Custlemm. A lemming can mine left on left facing arrows, but he turns after one stroke when mining right on right facing arrows.

[edit]Oooh! My 999th post!  :D[/edit]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 04:01:54 AM »
Quote from: Conway link=1132811608/0#2 date=1132886407
There's also a direction-specific glitch in Lemmings/Custlemm. A lemming can mine left on left facing arrows, but he turns after one stroke when mining right on right facing arrows.
I'm still a little skeptical about the accuracy of this description of whatever it is that you actually saw.. &#A0;Can you PM a screenshot? &#A0;Be sure to specify whether it was done in Lemmings or Custlemm, in case there's a difference.

Conway

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 08:22:55 PM »
What I mean is, you can mine left through a one-way surface pointing left, but you can't mine right through a one-way surface pointing right.

Download this <LINK> and mine before the right-hand exit. Even though the arrows are facing the way he's mining, he will take one strike and turn around, like he does when on arrows pointing behind him. Now, notice when he's on the left-pointing arrows, he's able to mine right through!  :o

I've just confirmed it works in Lemmings, Custlemm/2 and Nocdlem/2.

[edit]Woooh! 1000 posts!!!  :D[/edit]

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 09:42:55 PM »
Bah! I'm only 150 behind you. I'll get there!  ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 11:32:02 PM »
Quote from: Conway link=1132811608/0#2 date=1132886407
I checked again more carefully today and you're completely correct about the glitch.  Somehow I missed this glaring glitch all this time.

I'd need to check this on the other versions later.  It smells like a PC-specific glitch.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 05:28:12 AM »
I've noticed that miner glitch while playing Taxing 13 before.  I tried mining the OWW to finish off the level, but my miner turner around.

Anyway, I found another similar, but even weirder, glitch in Lemmings Revolution.  This one is hard to describe, and I unfortunately cannot provide a screenshot.  It works something like this:

A bomber's countdown reached zero right as he was entering a teleporter.  I made him bash before he exploded, and the teleporter kept sucking him in.  Only, instead of being zapped to the other teleporter, he just kept getting sucked back behind it, where he eventually went right into the exit!

From what I've seen, Lemmings Revolution seems to have a lot of weird glitches.  For me, it's a matter of how many of them can be used to improve my scores.  I think this teleporter glitch is necessary to save the climber in the level, "Booby Trap."

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 08:51:06 AM »
Intriguing. &#A0;If I find an illegal download of the game someday I might try it. ;D ;)

Which lemmings game is Lemmings Revolution most similar to? &#A0;I seem to recall the level's on the surface of a cylinder so it basically wraps around or something, does that mean it's a 2D rather than 3D game?

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 02:16:51 AM »
The game has 3D effects, but it is mainly played in 2D.  The skills are the same as in the original game, so the gameplay is similar.  Since the level is a cylinder, it is possible in some levels to go all the way around in a circle.  Imagine a level in the original game in which the right side of the level wraps around to the left side.

The game also has several other features, including teleporters, anti-gravity pads, and switches and gates that can trigger retractable walls or fill/drain pools of water.  Also, some levels have a separate "species" of lemmings that can walk on water or acid.  There are also bad guys on a few levels, which act just like lemmings, but they kill any lemmings they run into.

I haven't seen the game available commercially recently, but based on a recent thread here, I think you still may be able to buy it cheap if you're lucky enough to find it.  I don't know of any websites that offer it, legally or not, so you may be out of luck there.  You can always try Ebay, though.

Jazzem

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 04:24:37 PM »
If you look through GAME stores with eagle eyes you'll see it in a three-for-ten deal, brand new. The same goes for Winlemm.