Author Topic: April 2019 Level Collaboration  (Read 6969 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
April 2019 Level Collaboration
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:38:18 PM »
The final result of this collaboration has been attached to this post! :)

I was thinking after a long time we could attempt to do another level collaboration. :)

How does this work?

1.) You just say here in the topic or in a pm to me that you want to participate and I'll write you on the list.

2.) I'll roughly randomize the list of people to get a sequence. If you feel not good about covering certain positions this is totally negotiable (just tell me in your pm/post). Somebody might feel more confortable crafting landscapes in the early iterations than forming solutions later on for example. I try to put people in their confort zone as this should result in a better end result. :)

3.) The first person on the list starts making the level. For the first person it's usually just the raw landscape or just a part of the level.

4.) The first person posts his/her result in the topic and the second person contiunes making the level based on the result of the first person. You can change the things a person before you added, but it's not nice to simply completely discard all changes from another person without at least asking for permission.

5.) The goes on until the last person on the list has done their part. Usually the last few persons form the intended solution, add some additional quirks to it or decorate the level a bit more. The first persons usually form the general landscape and develop first crucial parts and tricks the solution revolves on.

6.) At last everyone tries to solve and therefore backroute fix the level, or find other problems that might need fixing.

Important: You result is always level + replay. Maybe in the first few iterations a replay is not needed, but if a solutions starts to form it is nessesary.

Another idea I had is that we could have 2 different solutions with different skillsets in the end, like an easy and a hard version.

As this is a collaboration of multiple people:

Every person is allowed to use the resulted level in their pack/s and I will also submit it to the NL community pack level pile!

Everyone had part in it so everyone should be able to use it and be proud of it! :8():

So what tileset are we going to use?

I was thinking the following tilesets could use some more attention:

- plom_bastemp
- sqron_turrican2wall
- zanzindorf_agony

So maybe use one of them ???   I am open for other proposals here! In the end I think I will hold a poll on which one we should focus on. :)

Tell me if you want to participate! Also comment on which tileset, or combination of tilesets, we should use (may it be from my little list or another proposal). :)

Participants:

- IchoTolot
- SQron188
- möbius
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:32:19 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
Re: April 2019 Level Collaboration
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 05:16:41 PM »
Interesting, I've never taken part in something like this. I'm hesitant about joining just yet though, I take so long to do just about anything...

I'm also afraid that the differences between my solving skill vs. the solving skills of others could manifest themselves. Heck, what happens if I can't solve the level when it's my cue? (excluding the idea of me changing the level radically)

On a more positive note, I'd like to see what kind of level could emerge from the tilesets given so far!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 05:29:18 PM »
Heck, what happens if I can't solve the level when it's my cue?

Take a look at the replay then. ;)  There is no shame in that.  Solving skills should not matter at all for being able to participate!

It's not important that you can solve it, it's more important what you can add or fix. Even just adding impressive decorations a good contribution.

Also you can ask to be placed in one of the earlier turns when solutions don't really exitst or are still vague.

Also I want to remind you of my idea: We could have 2 different solutions with different skillsets in the end, like an easy and a hard version.

If you have problems making a hard solution: Help in developing a fun easier version of the level. ;)

I'm hesitant about joining just yet though, I take so long to do just about anything...

You don't have to submit your part in 1-2 days or so. Just in a somewhat reasonable time.

Also you are not forced to make huge or complex changes in your turn. Each step will add a bit, not all.

Give it a go!
:)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 06:33:27 PM »
Oh yeah, checking the replay! That didn't occur to me. The easy/hard version of the solution sounds good too.

I sure would like to take part in something like this... okay, I've decided, sign me up.
In the worst case scenario, the fate of the level doesn't depend on a single contributor and the show can just go on, as I see it.

Judging by what has been said this far, maybe I should be somewhere closer to the top of the list? (an earlier turn rather than a later one?)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
I'll give it a go!
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 08:30:53 PM »
A reminder that this is still in planning and could use a few more participants! ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 12:31:11 AM »
I want to participate but I should mention that I might be losing internet for a while in the coming weeks, really not sure yet. In the event that it happens I will let you know ahead of time and I'll just drop out if I have to.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 07:50:37 AM »
I will wait until Tuesday. Then this collaboration will start. So contact me if you still want to join!

Even if we end up just with 3 people I want to do this. Also with fewer people I think everyone will get 2 turns instead of just 1. :)

As SQron is still participating I will propose we use "sqron_turrican2wall" as the tileset for this level.

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
Oh, hey, I sure am flattered to hear that the conversion of The Wall tileset could be the one we go with. I know it has its flaws (like having next to no slopes and rounded tiles) but I have nothing against using it (obv.) and am intrigued as to what may emerge out of that.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
Alright, let's start the collaboration! :)

Let's do the following order:

- SQron188
- möbius
- IchoTolot

SQron188 can now begin creating a level in the "sqron_turrican2wall" tileset and when he thinks he has done enough post the result here in this topic.
A replay will only be nessesary when an actual solution exists. You can also include non-solving replays of elements you would like to suggest to be included in the solution to your post.
We will most likely do at least 2 iterations here as we are only 3 people.

Let's see what will come out of this! :)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
Here it is

I think there's something in there already but also there's room for expansion. Hopefully, this'll be good.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:22:34 PM »
I completed my entry!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are likely backroutes I couldn't find atm. I'm pretty happy with this solution and I think I'll use it for my own pack (But maybe change the tileset) if that's okay. The next person in line for this project may make any changes they wish. :D

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 03:37:43 PM »
@möbius:
Yes there are quite a few backroutes in your iteration. I've attached an example backroute where I saved among other stuff a basher and a digger, while also using simpler methods.

For my step:

I've tried to refine the V2 solution while keeping the core ideas intact. Also the upper and lower half should now have some more helping interaction in between them. I also added the decoration.

Currently I would rate this at ~medium difficulty. In my measurements ~ late rank 2 or early rank 3. By far not an easy pushover, but not a hopeless riddle either.

Still missing though: A proper title! ;)

I would suggest that we focus on finding backroutes now, or if someone has another good idea for the solution refine it further/change it up. Also the decoration could be changed if you have another good idea there.

Of course if you have an idea for the title speak it out! ;)

I've attached the level+solution. :)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 07:30:16 PM »
Changes:
+ Lemming count reduced to 9
+ duplicated a hatch up top to reduce the number of Lemmings in the bottom crowd and to reduce precision on timing
+ changed some of the decoration

Title ideas:
"Overarmed and Undermined" (IchoTolot's idea)
"Put your 'arms where I can see them" (my idea)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »
We were talking about in IRC if we propose and choose a title here and make this the final version if no more backroutes/groundbreaking ideas come up.

What are your thoughts about this möbius ???

We were also thinking about doing another one after this. ;)