Author Topic: 2 glitches discovered  (Read 14437 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: 2 glitches discovered
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 08:53:06 AM »
Hmm, that could work.  Ultimately, what you need to be careful about is to make sure that there isn't a more straightforward way to accomplish what you want the glitch to accomplish.  I look forward to see you make a level out of your discovery. ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 09:25:20 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1129541546/0#11 date=1129608258
As mentioned on the Lemmings Challenge thread, I've confirmed my new Wicked 7 solution on the Mac also, so the glitch indeed also works on the Mac.

Quick update:  glitch and Wicked 7 solution confirmed on the Amiga version also.  So there's now a version of the game you can try this on, that has savestates at your disposal (though it's not too bad even w/o savestates).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 10:24:22 AM »
I figure to break up the monotony of me not sharing many of my glitches, here's a "new" glitch (well, new for you, old for me) which I will give a full disclosure.

Of course, this means the glitch is practically useless. ;P But it's still fun to see it in action.

In this case, the reason it's so useless is, it turns out the glitch is incredibly specific to the version of lemmings you have.  And even when it works, the effect is more hilarious than useful.

Forget about the Mac and SNES versions etc., in fact, even amongst the DOS versions, it only works on the "original" DOS Lemmings (the one from abandonia.com works too).  Not only does it fail on ONML, but if you use the so-called "CD" DOS version where they corrected the music (so that when you restart a level it doesn't go back to the level 1 music), you won't get the glitch either.  I've also tried Holiday Lemmings '94 and the glitch doesn't work there either.  Feel free to check out the other versions as well.

Most importantly, it doesn't work in CustLemm and its derivatives that I made (CustLem2, Nocdlem, etc.), which truly seals its fate as a useless glitch. ;P

So, the glitch:

When a non-climber builder finishes building and does its shrug, if you assign it a climber while it's shrugging, it will abort the shrug immediately and start walking.  Except it will be doing the shrugging animation while walking, until it is converted to some other action (ie. jumping, falling, or a skill you assign).

The only possible use is to gain that small fraction of time during which the lemming is shrugging (and therefore normally not moving forward).  Adding the restriction that it doesn't work in CustLemm, the usefulness of this glitch would be rather limited, except maybe for Timballisto. :P

However, it is quite funny to watch.  It's hard to maintain the glitch state because as soon as the walker falls a little (3 or more pixels) or jumps (a step of 3 or more pixels), it will revert back to the normal walker animation.  However, it turns out Fun 19 is the perfect place to see the glitch due to the terrain:  let lemming #1 build somewhere left of the cusp between rainbow arches #1 and #2 (counting from left to right).  If you build at the right place, it's possible to build a full bridge without turning around, and have the bridge touches the raising slope of arch #2.  You might also want to make lemming #2 block to divert the crowd away from the builder.

Now apply the glitch by assigning the climber when the builder finishes and starts shrugging.  Watch as he glides along the long rainbow pathway shrugging over and over! :D ;)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 12:20:09 PM »
lol, watching this was surely worth downloading the abandonia version. It looks so funny. :)

[...]Anyway, I found a crazy glitch. Now I will try to explain:
Two blockers are pretty close together with a lemming in between. At least one of the blockers has some terrain overlapping his field. Now the middle one bashes, and keeps bashing, and keeps bashing, and keeps bashing, and keeps bashing, and keeps bashing........
Could this be useful? (besides creating an evil level)
When I had found out that blockers also turn bashers around I thought guest's trick might be possible, but I couldn't get it to work because I didn't know that one blocker needs to be partly in front of terrain. However, I'd like to make a level using this.

For ccexplore's new glitch I wanted to ask for a screenshot at first, but the new challenge gave a good hint.
I wasn't able to do the challenge yet, but I confirmed the glitch. Neat glitch!

JM

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 12:36:49 PM »
blockers also turn miners around. There's a few levels that you have to do that in. Pretty cool.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 05:05:23 PM »
Quote from: JM  link=1129541546/15#19 date=1129639009
blockers also turn miners around. There's a few levels that you have to do that in. Pretty cool.

I once drew out a level on paper in which you had to get down to the bottom of a wall using just one miner.  The solution, of course, was to keep turning the miner with blockers.  I don't know of any levels in the actual games that require that trick.  I wouldn't call it a glitch, though, because the two skills interact just the way you'd expect them to.

I also noticed ccexplore's builder glitch in the original Lemmings a while ago.  On Mayhem 8, my last builder on the first bridge ran out of bricks right as he hit the wall.  I made him climb up the wall, and he slid over to the wall in in the shrugging position before climbing.  I never thought much about it until now.

I also knew about Guest's basher glitch, but like ccexplore, I can't find any place where it is useful.  When a basher hits a blocker and turns around, he bashes air.  I can conceivably see the trick used in a fan-made level.  Somebody could make a level in which you have to bash a short distance, build behind the basher, and bash through the bridge, using only one basher.  Such a level would be very tough to design, though.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 05:51:48 PM »
Quote from: LemSteven  link=1129541546/15#20 date=1129655123
[...]
I also knew about Guest's basher glitch, but like ccexplore, I can't find any place where it is useful.  When a basher hits a blocker and turns around, he bashes air.  I can conceivably see the trick used in a fan-made level.  Somebody could make a level in which you have to bash a short distance, build behind the basher, and bash through the bridge, using only one basher.  Such a level would be very tough to design, though.
Well, I'm currently designing one.
But I wonder whether I should release it after I get it ready or wait until I get the other 9 levels ready.
I actually prefer the second, since otherwise you'd easily know that you have to use this trick.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 06:25:06 PM »
I don't mind waiting.  Besides, most people still haven't finished your first pack yet.  Actually come to think of it, I still have level 7 of your first pack waiting for completion.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 01:02:46 AM »
I thought about making a level using it but decided not to. I already have a very-annoying-level-that-uses-a-glitch in my pack.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 01:57:10 PM »
Quote from: LemSteven  link=1129541546/15#20 date=1129655123
I once drew out a level on paper in which you had to get down to the bottom of a wall using just one miner. &#A0;The solution, of course, was to keep turning the miner with blockers. &#A0;I don't know of any levels in the actual games that require that trick. &#A0;I wouldn't call it a glitch, though, because the two skills interact just the way you'd expect them to.

One of my levels use this trick! You have 4 lemmings, 3 of them are blockers and the last one is the miner that goes down in zigzag to the exit.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Leviathan

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 09:38:59 PM »
I have tried reproducing both glitches and am still failing :(

The blocker glitch seems to work very rarely for me,I've only managed to pull it of once intentionally,but I was running lemmings in plain DOS so I couldn't take a screenshot...

The second glitch (the walker walking strait up trough the terrain glitch) is even more dramatic as I don't have a clue on how to do it except it's with a builder when a lemming is trapped somewhere.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 12:17:02 AM »
I'm apt to believe that you did witness something, just that you don't remember what exactly happened accurately and precisely enough to reproduce what you saw.

For both glitches, I can think of glitches I know that fits your description to some extent (although not fully), so maybe your glitches are same as the ones I know.

Leviathan

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 12:45:06 PM »
Could you PM me about more details of your glitches?
I might confirm it are exactly the same glitches :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 12:55:08 PM »
I'm not sure I should.  Especially for my version of the glitch involving the rapid-rising trapped lemming, there exist other people who have discovered the same glitches entirely on their own and figured out exactly how to trigger it, without having hints from other people.

However, it is evident that without your glitch entertaining the possibility of "lingering" blockers, I probably would have overlooked my Wicked 7 glitch for a long time.  So I guess it's only fair that I tell you about that particular glitch.  See PM.

Leviathan

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 01:15:51 PM »
I was wondering another thing...is it possible to save a lemming while he's drowning?
I've seen that when a lem is drowning,he's still counted as a walker untill the moment he disapears.

Now what happens if you put an exit in the water with the trigger area right in the middle where a lem would drown?
I've tried this but it doesn't work so far,hence my question if it's possible.