Author Topic: Least Favorite Level  (Read 16019 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: Least Favorite Level
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 05:35:15 AM »
Take a Running Jump is one of my favorite levels, actually... although Late Taxing? Hell no.

I also like Call in the Bomb Squad (My favorite level in the game!), The Prison, Lend a Helping Hand, and POOR WEE CREATURES.

The levels I can't stand are King of the Castle/Lemming Sanctuary in Sight, and also Time to Get Up! Down, Along, Up also is unnerving at times. I also think All or Nothing is outright stupid, for a level design in late Mayhem.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Conway

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 03:36:55 PM »
'Down, along, up. In that order' is such a cool level!

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 05:33:34 PM »
It's very tedious, though.

My least favourites are The Steel Mines of Kessel, because one misplaced stalk makes it impossible to complete, and Triple Trouble, because I find it far too difficult; too few skills, too many Lemmings to save.

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2004, 12:41:43 AM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1090029622/15#16 date=1090337815
'Down, along, up. In that order' is such a cool level!

What makes you say that?

Conway

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004, 03:23:30 PM »
I like it because it uses a fairly unused trick, and it's not too obvious. It appears to give too few builders so you have to figure out how to use them effectively.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2004, 02:54:01 AM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1090029622/15#19 date=1092497010
I like it because it uses a fairly unused trick, and it's not too obvious. It appears to give too few builders so you have to figure out how to use them effectively.

See, I hate that the lemmings ALWAYS seem to build in the wrong direction when I'm playing this level. That is why I don't like it very much... it is just annoying.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 06:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Insane_Steve  link=1090029622/15#20 date=1092538441

See, I hate that the lemmings ALWAYS seem to build in the wrong direction when I'm playing this level. That is why I don't like it very much... it is just annoying.

Yeah. I agree with him. This happens to me too. It's annoying! Really annoying!  

Lemeri

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 01:30:54 PM »
I love The Steel Mines of Kessel. I like the map design, although I realize it's recycled from earlier, and I also just like it. I think over all I hate either:

We All Fall Down (all parts)
Pea Soup
Save Me

The most.

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 09:00:57 PM »
Check back at the first post of this topic and you'll see more levels that I HATE.

Those levels that I hate are what I call:

Annoying, tedious, or boring. Sigh... :-(

piainp2

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2004, 05:56:57 PM »
Now lets see...

-Original Levels:
Origins and lemmings (and it's repeat, cant remember the name)
We are now at lemcon one
A ladder would be handy
Been there, seen it, done it
Tightrope city
Lend a helping hand
The ascending pillar scenario (don't even get me started on this one)
Triple trouble (too hard for late taxing, should be replaced with Stepping stones in mayhem)
How do I dig up the way
Poor we creatures
Steel works
Down, along, up in that order (The WORST level ever)
Poles apart
Pea Soup
Mind the step
Rendezvous at the mountain (Why is the last level easier than Save Me?)

-OH NO levels:
All of tame
Dolly dimple. (I believe this is too hard for level 22/100)
And now, this.
ROCKY VI
The race against clitches
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!! (what's with the name?)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2004, 08:44:37 PM »
Dolly Dimple is easy. Climb to the left, dig nearly to the bottom of the pillar, build two steps then dig again. Build to get the other lemmings out. There's a bit of difficulty finding the solution, but not much.

My least favourite levels... hmm.........

Pea Soup (damn unfair! The peas are invisible on B&W monitors!)
Steel Works (too much building)
Hunt the Nessy (ditto)
Menacing (that g*d-awful noise they call "music")
Rainbow Island (far too easy for its position, and when I first played the level in colour I was disappointed that they weren't actually rainbows)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 12:56:31 AM »
Why do so many seem to hate "I have a cunning plan"? It's a brilliant level, not annoying at all (hint: you can beat it without a single builder!)

Here's my list:
All or Nothing
One way digging to freedom (way too simple)
The ascending pillar scenario
Hunt the Nessy.... (no challenge, just a waste of time!)
Take a running jump..... (is there an echo...?)
Curse of the Pharoahs (they could've tried to make it harder than Fun 29, worra lorra lemmings)
Pea Soup
Steel Works
Mind the step.....

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 01:36:27 AM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1090029622/15#26 date=1101862591
Why do so many seem to hate "I have a cunning plan"? It's a brilliant level, not annoying at all (hint: you can beat it without a single builder!)

Yes, but that seems more annoying to do.  Or perhaps your mouse is more responsive than mine.

Unless there is a stopper and a digger.  My rusty memory suggests there are only builders and bashers.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 01:43:43 AM »
Yeah, I just went and played it (DOS version). You do indeed get blockers and diggers.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 04:47:45 AM »
Figure I might as well jump into the bandwagon.  I don't really have clear favorites and nonfavorites actually.  I'm sure others disagree, but in some ways I feel that a lot of the levels don't stand out, many seem more or less variations on the same theme to the point where I could hardly recall them by name anymore, only a number really stands out as truly innovative, and even fewer that are innovative without being annoying.

Rather than particular few non-favorite levels, I think for me there are simply two distinct types of levels I hate, aside from the universally hated "we all fall down" by the third time (to be fair, it must be DMA's idea of a running gag, but it's not so funny when you don't have the password to skip to the next, infinitely more interesting level):

1) I'm not too into levels where I have to time bombers.  I wouldn't mind if they have temporal checkpoints, but since they don't, it potentially means a lot of restarts, possibly repeating a lot of the parts I can already do reliably.

2) I'm not too into levels where a good number of lemmings have to senselessly die.  Especially terrible is "From the Boundary Line".  Would've been "Cascade" until I accidentally discovered the 100% solution myself and then it's not so bad anymore.

[though to be fair, I've started to have an attitude change on type #2, especially after conceiving some level ideas that are 10 times more sadistic to the lemmings than something like Cascade..... O_o ;P  And that was inspired after seeing enough custom levels where there's no floor underneath an entrance.]

Other than that, none of the other levels are so bad that I would say I hate them.  Though liking them enough to be called "favorites" is another story (and thread) altogether.